Why does my "scale" change my weight??

Options
I have a question...According to my scale 2 days ago I weighed 130. Now today it says 133 and earlier it said 131. There is no way my weight is going up and down like that over the course of a day! I am eating excellently so i know I am not gaining...what is going on??? Thank you!

Replies

• aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My digital scale is often inaccurate like that. I've found that if I weigh myself in the morning, then pee, then weigh again, it says I've gained a pound and a half. Happens almost every time.

I typically weigh several times at once and just take the average, or most-reported number. One day I'll buy a better scale. I've had this one for 10 years.

The other thing that could be throwing your scale off is water weight, which can fluctuate by several pounds over the course of a few days.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Your weight naturally fluctuates as you eat, go to the bathroom, yadda yadda. I'd pick like one day a week, at the same time, and weight then.
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    It's actually very common for your weight to fluctuate several pounds up or down throughout a day. The food and water you consume aren't weightless. While they're digesting, they will affect your weight. Your "waste" can also affect your weight.
    Your body retains water for a variety of reasons, a major one is sodium.

So, the short answer is: The scale isn't changing your weight. Your weight DOES change throughout a day. And it's completely normal!
  • JellyPrz619
    JellyPrz619 Posts: 172
    Options
    I have the same problem! I have a "fancy" scale its digital gives bmi bone mass water weight % and everything. I thought the prob was my old cheap scale so I upgraded. But it still happens and its frustrating. So I constantly weigh myself throughout the day, bUT none of my "weigh ins matter" but the one first thing in the morning
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Your weight IS going up and down like that. Try weighing right before bed and then first thing in the morning. You're likely to see a 3-7 lb drop! Weight before and after drinking a pint of water. That's 1 lb.

When tracking your progress it's best to weight first thing in the morning, naked or close to it, after you've done your bathroom business. You will see up and down fluctuations if you weigh every day. If that bothers you try weighing only once a week.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Body's change slightly daily. it's sodium intake and water weight.. It's ok and normal :)
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    The scales normally have an error range. Having said that, YES, your weight can fluctuate like that in one day from water anf food. Food weighs too, not just water.
  • OhSnaps
    OhSnaps Posts: 25
    Options
    If you weigh yourself everyday, do it first thing in the morning after you've gone to the bathroom. Like people have stated before, your weight fluctuates throughout the day with food, water, and salt intake.
  • Jperry322
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!!! I didnt know any of this! :):
  • irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    Weight your self in the morning naked and after visiting the toilet :) . Lol
  • teross1
    teross1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i wondered same thing,,,good to know:happy: :happy: