Is There A Normal Caloric Expenditure...

Options
Is there a 'normal' caloric expenditure for people for a 24 hour period? I am wearing this HRM for 24 hours and am curious that when I'm done, is there a normal amount of calories that most people burn in 1 day???

Replies

• PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Is there a 'normal' caloric expenditure for people for a 24 hour period? I am wearing this HRM for 24 hours and am curious that when I'm done, is there a normal amount of calories that most people burn in 1 day???
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Yes it is called your BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate which you can check here on MFP.

To find your BMR:

Using MFP click TOOLS
    Right there on the upper blue line click on the BMR
    Make sure the info is correct and click CALCULATE

And for the record, I oopsidently when explaining it to my hubby I made the stupid mistake of calling it my "balsamic metabolic rate." :noway: After about the fourth time I said it I realized that 'balsamic' is for salad dressing not heart rates. :huh:

• PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    PrincessLaundry. Duh! Thank you! I read about your husband and his cancer on your daughter's birthday. I am assuming he is doing well now??? I hope so. Boy, you sure had a rollercoaster day that day. High on top of the roller coaster about your new baby and then way down in the valley with your husbands news. That had to be tough. Did the news about your husband cause you to go into labor? You seem like a tough lady (military though, we have to be). I'm sure you dealt with it all pretty well. Cheers to YOU!!!:drinker:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    PrincessLaundry. Duh! Thank you! I read about your husband and his cancer on your daughter's birthday. I am assuming he is doing well now??? I hope so. Boy, you sure had a rollercoaster day that day. High on top of the roller coaster about your new baby and then way down in the valley with your husbands news. That had to be tough. Did the news about your husband cause you to go into labor? You seem like a tough lady (military though, we have to be). I'm sure you dealt with it all pretty well. Cheers to YOU!!!:drinker:

Does the duh mean you knew this or that you forgot? lol My BMR is just over 1300...Are you looking for ides on what most people burn? :huh:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options

Thanks girlie!!! I was and am very thankful I had great friends to make me laugh and most of all help me with my kiddos along the way. Now, even 6 years later...I "mentally" still feel out of sorts, even though we are mostly done with that time of our life. Nobody ever talks about that...The "mental" part of such stress. But here I am, taking another step to feel good again!

WAHOOO!!! :drinker: <~~~ not water...:laugh: (I think I have had too much coffee today...) :tongue:
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    My duh was, yeah that was stupid, I did know that. The reason for my question is, my BMR is 1510, well I still have 5 hours to go before my 24 hour assessment is over with this HRM and I have already burned 1963 calories. I have to subtract about 150 though, because yesterday I went for an unexpected walk in the woods that I had not planned on. I wanted to have a quiet 24 hours to get a good reading but it didn't work that way.
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    My duh was, yeah that was stupid, I did know that. The reason for my question is, my BMR is 1510, well I still have 5 hours to go before my 24 hour assessment is over with this HRM and I have already burned 1963 calories. I have to subtract about 150 though, because yesterday I went for an unexpected walk in the woods that I had not planned on. I wanted to have a quiet 24 hours to get a good reading but it didn't work that way.

The BMR is at a RESTING rate without any activity...so that sounds about right girlie!

I do my own math this way...My BMR is just over 1300. I figure I move around enough during the day with kiddos, cooking, walking, cleaning, whatever to equal about 700 slow life calories each day. So that gives me 700 + 1300 = 2000. I workout and burn 500 calories so 2000 - 500 = 1500 calories each day to eat. I am now eating about 1300 - 1400 calories per day and when I workout I usually have about 1600 calories to eat each day.

So your math sounds about right IMHO...but I am only a Mom, who has had to much coffee and this is what I get from reading other people's info. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong on this math-ish please!
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Your math-ish sounds good to me. :tongue: Besides, Moms are not just average bears. :laugh: