My new love

Options
olyjok
olyjok Posts: 133 Member
Im a big sports man and love to hunt and fish. Im looking for some ideas to cook Venison and fish a healthy way!

I just tried to grill fish on the gas grill.....Yum Yum.... I was good and I think it was better for me then Frying it in oil. I didn't like the way I seasoned it. The type of fish I cook is Crappie and Walleye. Any Ideas??? Ill take them all...

Thanks Josh

Replies

• olyjok
    Options
    Im a big sports man and love to hunt and fish. Im looking for some ideas to cook Venison and fish a healthy way!

I just tried to grill fish on the gas grill.....Yum Yum.... I was good and I think it was better for me then Frying it in oil. I didn't like the way I seasoned it. The type of fish I cook is Crappie and Walleye. Any Ideas??? Ill take them all...

Thanks Josh
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options

Thanks Josh

Have you ever tried the "Plank Fish" way of cooking? Putting fish on a ceder plank and then grilling it. I'll have to ask my DH about how he did ours seasoning wise, but it was delish!
  • olyjok
    Options
    Do you soak the plank in water???
  • charles9029
    Options
    Im a huge crappie fan. I eat them every summer when I catch them down at my lake house for my family. We usaully deep fry them too but I have also had a much healthier way that was really good. You take the fish and you smother it in mustard or mayonnaise but I'm sure your looking for the healthier way so do the mustard. Then chose whatever vegatables you want. I usaully use bell peppers and onions and put them on top. Wrap the whole package in tinfoil tight and throw it on your grill. Make sure your grill is on low better to cook the fish slowly and let it simmer. Should come out quite good. Its easy to throw it on some white rice also.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Do you soak the plank in water???

Yes, you do soak the blank. :smile:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Im a huge crappie fan. I eat them every summer when I catch them down at my lake house for my family. We usaully deep fry them too but I have also had a much healthier way that was really good. You take the fish and you smother it in mustard or mayonnaise but I'm sure your looking for the healthier way so do the mustard. Then chose whatever vegatables you want. I usaully use bell peppers and onions and put them on top. Wrap the whole package in tinfoil tight and throw it on your grill. Make sure your grill is on low better to cook the fish slowly and let it simmer. Should come out quite good. Its easy to throw it on some white rice also.

I've done something similar to this with salmon....and no I did not catch it....but since we're talkin fish.
  • dmd196
    dmd196 Posts: 11
    Options
    My neighbor makes venison chili. I'm not a huge venison fan but here's my suggestion (add/subtract to your tastes)

VENISON CHILI

1 lb venison (cubed or ground)
    1 medium onion (diced)
    1 green pepper (diced)
    3 cloves of garlic (diced)
    1 can black beans
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    1/4 c. sliced jalepenos (i used the ones in a jar)
    1 Tbsp Chili Powder
    1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke

Brown venison in a pan on the stove. Remove and drain fat. Fry onion, pepper, & garlic in same pan. Pour everything into a crockpot (3-4 hours on high) or large pot on stove. Let it simmer for 30-40 minutes. If you like thicker chili, stir in 1 Tbsp of flour after simmering.

TIP: My secret to spicy chili is to add some of the jalepeno water from the jar.
  • olyjok
    Options
    MMMMM....... Ill give these a try :tongue:

Thanks Josh
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My aunt used to take a venison roast and make a kind of pot roast out of it.

Season with salt and pepper and lavish amounts of hot sauce. Sear it on all sides in some olive oil in a dutch oven, and set aside. Slice a bunch of onions really thin (three or four) and dump them in the dutch oven. Top with the roast that's been browned on all sides, then top that with a can of diced tomatoes. Put the lid on the dutch oven, and cook on low heat for three or four (or five) hours. Try to resist taking off the cover, but it's okay to check it once in a while.

You really don't have to go overboard on the olive oil, either, so if your meat is fairly lean, it shouldn't be greasy. (if it is, just skim it.)

I like this one with beef roasts too, since venison doesn't make an appearance at our table.

Meat sections with less fat work well with this one because the cook time is so long.

(and yeah, it's a good one for midsummer, because cooking on low heat with the lid on doesn't heat up the kitchen nearly as much as some other techniques.)