Measurements

Options
Can anyone tell me when, and how often I should measure myself? (Measuring meaning using a measuring tape to measure certain parts of the body, not like standing on a scale or anything)

I was thinking about doing it monthly, but I have only lost about fifteen pounds in a month, so I am doubting that I will see any changes. I don't want to get obsessive and measure too often either.

How often do you record your measurements? Oh and another question, How often should I take progress photos?

Replies

• heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I measure myself on the day of my 'weigh-in' - that way, if the scales haven't moved the tape measure usually says different. Google - where to take the measurements of my body.....and see what you come up with. I found an illustration showing where to place the tape....good luck ...:-)
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I started out measuring weekly when I would weigh in. Now I measure myself every other week and I weigh in every day (though I only log it on here once a week). I took photos at the 40 pound mark.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I do it once a month. I only lost 9 lbs and lost 4in on my waist and hips.
  • rochelleangel86
    Options
    This helped me find out where I should measure. http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/weightlosstrack_2.htm
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i do mine once a week as soon as i wake up so while everything is still "deflated". even on weeks i don't lose #'s on the scale the tape budges down.
  • synthetikk
    synthetikk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! <3
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I (my trainer) take my measurements everytime I have lost 10 to 12 lbs - which works out to every 4 to 6 weeks.
    I find this would normally shows a change of at least 1-2 inches to areas like my hips / waist (so noticeable results :-))
    I take my progress photo's at the same intervals.
    The measurements we take: Chest (above the boobs - just under your arm pits), Waist, Belly, Hip, Arm (Bicep), Thigh, Calf and Weight.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey. You will see changes. I measure every week! Even if it's only a quarter-inch, I log it in my progress section of the iPhone app. I love it! :happy: I can see where I need to work harder next week every time I measure. You should measure:

Arms (very top with your arm outstretched, largest part)
    Waist (smallest part above your belly button)
    Stomach (at your belly button)
    Hips (widest part of your butt)
    Thighs (rest your heel on your other ankle so all your fat is exposed - lol and measure at widest part at the top of your thigh)
    Calves (if you desire - mine just keep getting bigger from muscle so I quit measuring)

You can also measure your neck if you have a fat neck. I never bothered but I always wonder if I would have seen changes! lol
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    *bump*