How often should I strenght train?

Options
Hi All! This is my first original post, I've been on MFP off and on for a few months. I do a high intensity Zumba class Mon-Thurs, for an hour each class. I'm wondering how often should I be doing some sort of strength training along with the zumba to see some extra toning results? I want some muscle definition, but I'm not looking to get "ripped". (If I get too ripped, my hubby will think I should be doing more farm work :-D) I currently work 60 hours/week for an insurance company, from my home, and am having a hard time getting the fitness time in that I would really like to.

Replies

• fatmama4
    fatmama4 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ***SIGH*** Strength train, not strenght. More coffee please.....
  • staceylaines
    Options
    I've had a few sessions with a personal trainer in the past couple weeks, and she said no more than every other day, aiming towards 2 times of strength training per week.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    you can strength train every day, but you will want to use different muscle groups each day in order to give the previous group a rest.
  • MzChiz
    MzChiz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I try to strength train a different muscle group every other day
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi All! This is my first original post, I've been on MFP off and on for a few months. I do a high intensity Zumba class Mon-Thurs, for an hour each class. I'm wondering how often should I be doing some sort of strength training along with the zumba to see some extra toning results? I want some muscle definition, but I'm not looking to get "ripped". (If I get too ripped, my hubby will think I should be doing more farm work :-D) I currently work 60 hours/week for an insurance company, from my home, and am having a hard time getting the fitness time in that I would really like to.

depending on your goals, but anywhere from 2 to 6 days per week should suffice.
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i do every other day cardio vs. strength training... be sure to still warm up the muscles.. I do 10 minutes of cardio before my strength training still
  • dsjolley
    dsjolley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns more calories, so strength training will increase your metabolism as well as give you a fitter look as you lose weight. In addition, as we age (which, unfortunately, we all do), strength training helps put minor, appropriate stress on your skeleton that things like zumba and other cardio exercises do not. This has the affect of triggering the laying down of new bone, increasing skeletal strength, replacing bone loss, and fighting osteoperosis and brittle bones. I would try to do at least 2 days/week.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I try to strength train a different muscle group every other day

This is what I do... So for instance: back/biceps Monday, shoulders/triceps Wednesday, chest/calves Friday, legs/glutes/hamstrings on Saturday. I do cardio everyday.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I would do something like this 3 times a week.

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    SLDL 3 x 8
    BB curl 3 x 8

Progressively add weight.

You don't really need to go into body part splits until you are a fairly advanced lifter.

BTW I don't think you get ripped overnight :P I wish it was that easy!
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Traditionally Mon-Wed-Friday with CArdio on Tuesday and Thur and maybe once on the weekend.
    I find myself now training a minimum of 6 days per week due to calories I can consume because of workout.

I often tell people this. If we can't train everday then we need to inform the convicts in our american jail system. Some of the most fit people in the world eat like crap and train the same body parts every day ie chins ups and push ups and abs every single day. I actually read a great article about this. Proper rest and nutrtion is the key to recovery
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd shoot for 2-3 days a week of strenght training.

If you're only doing 2 days, I'd do full body both days.

But if you can find time for a 3 or 4 day split you can try a push/pull split along with a leg day.

Monday- Push excercises (triceps and chest) You'll also hit your anterior and posterior delts on this day.

Wed- Pull (bis and back) Seated cable rows, lat pulldowns, pullups, curls.

Friday- Legs Do what you're willing to try. I'd reccomend lunges and squats. And hip adduction/abduction.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I would do something like this 3 times a week.

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    SLDL 3 x 8
    BB curl 3 x 8

Progressively add weight.

This is great advice. I offered the split routine as an option, but full body workouts do work best for beginners and this is packed with good compound lifts.
  • fatmama4
    fatmama4 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the great tips! Ripped overnight would be awesome, lol. Just looking to establish a base to work from. After 4 kids and being almost 40, I've got some major work to do. According to the bmi/weight calculator, I should lose between 30-40lbs :-S If I'm doing strength training, will that make my calorie burn during zumba more efficient also?
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the great tips! Ripped overnight would be awesome, lol. Just looking to establish a base to work from. After 4 kids and being almost 40, I've got some major work to do. According to the bmi/weight calculator, I should lose between 30-40lbs :-S If I'm doing strength training, will that make my calorie burn during zumba more efficient also?

Yes. It will. The more muscles you have, the more fat you'll burn, which is also especially true when exercising (cardio). I know I don't get enough strength training in because I'd burn like 100 calories, but with a kick-butt workout I can bet about 400 in. What I like to do is incorporate weights into my cardio (Jillian Michaels' rocks at this) That way it's still something AND my heart rate is actually pounding even though it's less impact. Also, I like what Jillian says about BMI.. is that it's a load of crap because every person's body is different so it can't possible know what you should be. Weight on the BMI could either be fat or muscle, it has no idea what you have. What she recommends to do is a waist:hip ratio. Measure your stomach right at the belly-button and then measure your hips at their widest part starting about hip-widith apart. For women, the ideal proportion/ratio is 0.80. Give that a try and see where you are. You probably don't really need to loose as much weight as you think on the BMI. Remember the scale isn't everything, but having more muscle and less fat is, and as we all know muscle weighs more than fat