I challenge you all. . .

Options
To help police the accuracy of the nutrition database!

This weekend, I've found numerous errors that I've fixed. First of all, one of the calorie counts was HALF of what it actually was. . .maybe someone misread the serving size. (?)

Add to that, the mess that ensues when a food item is entered five different ways with four incorrect spellings.

Part of the deal with the "wiki" sharing of foods is that we're on the lookout for that sort of thing. So, if you have MFPs numbers, and they don't agree with the label . . .edit it! Please. . .I beg you.

Also, look for information in the database before you enter your item. Sometimes a product is just "named" a little differently, but it's already in there. There are SO many duplicates.

Also, remember that we've got people from all corners of the globe using the site, so it's helpful to note that when you name your item, as nutrition labeling laws differ from country to country.

I'm not complaining. . .but I think we all need to do our own little part.:wink:

Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    To help police the accuracy of the nutrition database!

This weekend, I've found numerous errors that I've fixed. First of all, one of the calorie counts was HALF of what it actually was. . .maybe someone misread the serving size. (?)

Add to that, the mess that ensues when a food item is entered five different ways with four incorrect spellings.

Part of the deal with the "wiki" sharing of foods is that we're on the lookout for that sort of thing. So, if you have MFPs numbers, and they don't agree with the label . . .edit it! Please. . .I beg you.

Also, look for information in the database before you enter your item. Sometimes a product is just "named" a little differently, but it's already in there. There are SO many duplicates.

Also, remember that we've got people from all corners of the globe using the site, so it's helpful to note that when you name your item, as nutrition labeling laws differ from country to country.

I'm not complaining. . .but I think we all need to do our own little part.:wink:

• pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    AMEN SISTER!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!! I try my best to correct them when I find them but there are soooo many!!

Correctly spell your item and check the serving size - are the two biggest...

Also, something you didn't mention - when you are entering the item - be specific as there are many, many food items that are labeled 'deluxe' or 'light' or 'extra' that seriously affect the nutrition content.

Thanks to all for making this the best dang fitness/health site on the web....
  • vickyt
    vickyt Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Will do
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Options
    I agree. Good point to make and it is for the good of everyone. I'll be honest and say that I didn't realize that you could edit what someone else had put in the database. If something was wrong I just added my own entry. I'll definitely make note of this so I can reduce the duplicates. Keep up the good work and let's clean up our database!!:happy: :happy:
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Agree :wink:

It's bad enough that the products keep changing their info. One needs to keep checking the labels. I have had a couple of my usual products that changed (I guess it's the calorie police catching up)
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Agree :wink:

It's bad enough that the products keep changing their info. One needs to keep checking the labels. I have had a couple of my usual products that changed (I guess it's the calorie police catching up)

Same here...I have 2 jars of Hellman's LIGHT Mayo....one is 35 calories for 2 tbs, the other 40? Hehehe you know which label I'm using! :laugh:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you on this. I would like to make a suggestion though, if we could edit the serving sizes to accommodate all the different servings/packaging that would eliminate a lot of duplicate entries. I haven't figure out if we can do that but that would be great. I did a search for cheerios this morning. Do you know how many hits I got? :noway: Too many.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Be sure to click the YES or NO buttons to verify if nutritional info is correct too!
    It helps to see "10 users confirmed" when looking up nutritional info on a food.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    While I whole-heartedly agree with this,
    I hate finding 5 or 6 different entries for the same food,

I think it would be hard for people internationally,

I don't know for a fact, but there are claims on here that foods in Canada are different from that in the US. Which would lead me to believe the same existed between all or at least most nations across the globe.

Maybe it should be posted as a US/CANADA/UK etc version.

Otherwise, please do!
    I try to change it as often as possible when it doesn't match the label.

*BUMP*
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Here here! I am constantly having to edit things. :grumble: :wink:

Also, I had entered in bananas by the ounce (it is in there as other "serving sizes" as well) but I like to take mine out of the skin and actually weigh it to get an accurate reading and someone changed it! So I re-entered it as "Banana by the ounce!"....just so no one edits THAT again! :laugh: :laugh:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    While I whole-heartedly agree with this,
    I hate finding 5 or 6 different entries for the same food,

I think it would be hard for people internationally,

I don't know for a fact, but there are claims on here that foods in Canada are different from that in the US. Which would lead me to believe the same existed between all or at least most nations across the globe.

Maybe it should be posted as a US/CANADA/UK etc version.

Otherwise, please do!
    I try to change it as often as possible when it doesn't match the label.

*BUMP*

I know for a fact that Canadian foods differ from what we've got here in the States! At least in some cases. I discovered Special K while touring Canada but what we've got here in the States has more sugar, more carbs, and more sodium, and even a different texture. Special K told me it was because of "American" taste buds"

I can't stand American Special K and have no way to get Canadian Special K unless I make another trip north:cry:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

umm. . .I said that in my original post. I always do something along the lines of "Starbucks: Canada" as our products are different.

Also, due to labelling laws, calorie counts for the same serving size change even if the ingredients don't. In the US, insoluble fibre doesn't need to be added into a calorie count. So, a cup of fibre one is "60 calories" in the states. . .and "100 calories" up here. It's the same exact stuff, but one count has the non-digestible calories not listed.