You Are What You EAT!!!

Options
SeasideOasis
SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
As many of my closer MFP friends know, I do suffer from some incredibly stubborn Endometriosis. I've been in a head to head battle with it for years. A little over a month ago, I said enough was enough!! I was so hopped up on all sorts of hormones, I had NO chance of losing weight, plus the treatments weren't even working (my body seems to stop responding to all meds in a short period of time after starting).

So...What is any crazy person suppose to do? First, took myself off all but one medication (yes, my doctor knows I did this. He is at a loss too on what to do at this point). Second, did a major overhaul on my diet. I'm not perfect, but I also dont eat pizza and wing three nights a week anymore.

Results: My symptoms have severely decreased. My pain is almost non-existent. And (TMI for guys)...My TOM flow is hardly worth paying attention to (For those who dont know about Endometriosis, you are usually doubled over in pain during your TOM, sometimes to the point of hospitalization depending on your severity and have a flow heavy enough to make you go anemic..just to name a couple symptoms).

After more research, talks with my health consult, talks with my Mom and BF, we all have come to the same conclusion...you are what you eat. You treat your body like crap, its going to fight back and treat you like crap. Eating healthy may not be the miracle cure for everything, but more times than not, a healthy diet and moderate exercise can go a long way.

Cheers to everyone making those healthy changes. Its not easy, but neither are the problems that we are keeping ourselves from having to suffer through.

Replies

• Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease which was at its worst when I had tore the cartiladge in my knee and couldn't really do much cardio for a long period. Ever since I have been exercising and drinking a lot of water and eating less, I am not in as much pain - almost as if my body is not even attacking itself anymore... Probably the fact that I am building muscle to pull it through, i don't know. I just hope it continues in this direction and the flare ups stay almost non existant. And the TOM flow I agree much lighter/shorter with workout and diet :) Thanks for this post!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I completely agree!

I've noticed since I really started eating clean natural and organic foods that my immune system has greatly improved. Even when people close to me are sick I've been able to avoid or fight off whatever they have quite easily. I also used to suffer from terrible migraines, so bad I'd spend days in bed in the dark to try and stave off the pain. They have vastly decreased in frequency, only had 1 in 10 months of better eating and it wasn't remotely as bad as normal.

More anecdotes of course, but I think there is definitely something to healthy eating and being healthy. I just wish I could convince the people around me of the same thing.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I am super happy for you! Thank you for shreign this story. I totally agree you are what you eat and as long as I get to be chick fil a or pizaa everyo once in awhile I think i can make healthy eating a perminant change :) Keep you the good work.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Great motivation! Thanks for posting!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Well said and true! That was a courageous thing you did, trusting your body and going off the medications. Thanks for inspiring us!
  • SuzetteMerashino
    Options
    That is fantastic news! It really is. I know a few who also suffer with Endometriosis and it is just horrendous! It's destroyed both of their relationships! (I'm friends with their ex's so I can never tell them what you've discovered) But I'm so happy for you. I can't even imagine what it's like!

And actually, I broke my foot in January which is nothing in comparison but it's healing nicely and was really sore when I started working out three weeks ago but now it hardly ever hurts!

Being healthy really is the business!!
    xx.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I also have endometriosis, I was lucky enough to get pregnant 2 times, but it is continually coming back. I can tell now especially because my periods have been incredibly awful! Thank you so much for posting because I do not want to have another laporscopy and anything that will give me relief is very much appreciated!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I did not have any severe medical problems, but my immune system got much better and my TOM is hurting 99% less. Im so grateful for this, it helped improve my life a lot.
    I am glad you feel so much better!
    Yay for healthy lifestyle!
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    That is fantastic news! It really is. I know a few who also suffer with Endometriosis and it is just horrendous! It's destroyed both of their relationships! (I'm friends with their ex's so I can never tell them what you've discovered) But I'm so happy for you. I can't even imagine what it's like!

And actually, I broke my foot in January which is nothing in comparison but it's healing nicely and was really sore when I started working out three weeks ago but now it hardly ever hurts!

Being healthy really is the business!!
    xx.

I too have felt the backlash of relationships and this stupid disease or whatever you want to call it. Im fortunately in a relationship with someone who walked in knowing full well of the problems that come with the disease and none of it bothers him. He was also one of the people who kind of put the idea in my head that if I ate better, maybe my body would change.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I recently watched a movie/documentary called "Food Matters" that addressed these types of issues. It looked predominately at nutrition, and especially vitamins, as "curing" or alleviating symptoms. I highly recommend checking it out! (It's on Netflix "Watch Instantly" if you have an account with them.)
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    I also have endometriosis, I was lucky enough to get pregnant 2 times, but it is continually coming back. I can tell now especially because my periods have been incredibly awful! Thank you so much for posting because I do not want to have another laporscopy and anything that will give me relief is very much appreciated!

Congrats!!! Thats amazing news about your two lovely children! My chances are pretty grim, however, it doesn't have me down. While I love other peoples children, I've always been a workaholic busy body. I would HIGHLY recommend making a drastic change in your diet and add at least 30 minutes or daily walking or several times a week. I was facing the possibility of another laporscopy and I didnt want to deal with that. I have a check-up with my Endo doctor in another month, so I will be excited to share the news of great results with the changes Ive made if this trend continues till then :)

And yes...I have every intention of printing out all the reports from MFP as proof that a healthy diet and exercise are better than doping me up on more meds than I can remember the names of ;)
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    I recently watched a movie/documentary called "Food Matters" that addressed these types of issues. It looked predominately at nutrition, and especially vitamins, as "curing" or alleviating symptoms. I highly recommend checking it out! (It's on Netflix "Watch Instantly" if you have an account with them.)

I LOVE NETFLIX!! Thank you SO much for the recommendation. I will absolutely have to check that movie out this week!
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I completely agree!

I've noticed since I really started eating clean natural and organic foods that my immune system has greatly improved. Even when people close to me are sick I've been able to avoid or fight off whatever they have quite easily. I also used to suffer from terrible migraines, so bad I'd spend days in bed in the dark to try and stave off the pain. They have vastly decreased in frequency, only had 1 in 10 months of better eating and it wasn't remotely as bad as normal.

More anecdotes of course, but I think there is definitely something to healthy eating and being healthy. I just wish I could convince the people around me of the same thing.

Oh yes. I must agree. My immune system has improved dramatically since dedicating myself to adding whole, healthy REAL foods and forsaking processed fake stuff. Even when my two little children bring all those preschool "bugs" home, I am staying strong and healthy. Not to mention the fact that my heart is healing so beautifully from my prior heart trouble and high blood pressure. I am a new person and am so thankful for MFP and my new way of life.
  • erinnmcpherson
    Options
    that's great!! I agree-- crazy how my hormones are leveled out, I have almost zero symptoms from my ovarian cysts, and I have WAY more energy! so glad for you hon!
  • Dawn111567
    Options
    That is great news!

I also noticed that when I went to a low carb diet that my chronic tendon problem in my foot started going away, I started having less flare ups from my rosacea, my stomach very rarely gets bloated unless I eat something that has too much sugar in it, my pms symptoms have all but disappeared, my migraines are very rare, the list goes on!

Congratulations.
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your success stories :)

I love hearing about how everyones eating has been helping them battle problems with food and exercise (in the good way...haha).