1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 4 oz can green chilies
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped up fine (this is my addition and isn't required...just add more cayenne if you want it spicier)
8 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
10 corn tortillas, chopped up
2 cups chopped up leftover turkey or chicken (the chicken doesn't have to be cooked...can just add it to the pot)
1 cup corn

Sautee onion, garlic, and spices in a little chicken stock until onions are tender. Add chilies, tomatoes, and chipotle and sauté a little more. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes then add tortillas. Simmer until tortillas are mostly dissolved, stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick to the bottom, about 10-15 minutes. Add meat and corn. Cook until heated through. If you're using raw meat, add to the soup about 10 minutes after you put the tortillas in and simmer for at least 5 minutes. It will cook pretty fast. Season if needed. Squeeze with a fresh lime wedge and enjoy! Only 217 calories and 2.8 grams of fat, 31 carbs, and 19 protein by my calculations or at least those on Sparkpeople.com). That's with the turkey anyway, but I assume the chicken would be the same.

Replies

• kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    1 medium onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tbsp oregano
    1 tbsp cumin
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    1 4 oz can green chilies
    1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
    1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped up fine (this is my addition and isn't required...just add more cayenne if you want it spicier)
    8 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
    10 corn tortillas, chopped up
    2 cups chopped up leftover turkey or chicken (the chicken doesn't have to be cooked...can just add it to the pot)
    1 cup corn

Sautee onion, garlic, and spices in a little chicken stock until onions are tender. Add chilies, tomatoes, and chipotle and sauté a little more. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes then add tortillas. Simmer until tortillas are mostly dissolved, stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick to the bottom, about 10-15 minutes. Add meat and corn. Cook until heated through. If you're using raw meat, add to the soup about 10 minutes after you put the tortillas in and simmer for at least 5 minutes. It will cook pretty fast. Season if needed. Squeeze with a fresh lime wedge and enjoy! Only 217 calories and 2.8 grams of fat, 31 carbs, and 19 protein by my calculations or at least those on Sparkpeople.com). That's with the turkey anyway, but I assume the chicken would be the same.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Here's the link to be able to enter your recipes: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

I found it on this site from another member. It's been a lifesaver! I've always been one of those, "I can't count calories unless I eat only packaged foods because it's too difficult," people. This site has changed my attitude drastically. I love it! Thanks to all of you! The support system is amazing!
  • baylou
    baylou Posts: 52
    Options
    I tryed the sparkpeople site I couldn't understand how to use it but I did find calorie count.com
    it is easy to use sign on go to recipes then analysis for any recipe and it does the work for you its great
    I added a icon for each site to my aol top bar so it is easy to go from one to the other fast
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    Here's the link to be able to enter your recipes: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

I found it on this site from another member. It's been a lifesaver! I've always been one of those, "I can't count calories unless I eat only packaged foods because it's too difficult," people. This site has changed my attitude drastically. I love it! Thanks to all of you! The support system is amazing!

I tried this today and loved it!!!! Thanks for the tip!