Here Goes My Pride: Anyone Ever Faceplanted on a run?

Options
So, I need some of you guys' embarrassing "I was running and then BLAM I was on the ground" stories, because that definitely just happened to me. On a sidewalk, in front of about 30 passing cars! I was going at a pretty nice pace (for me), and then my shoe caught a bump in the sidewalk while I was mid-stride and it took me DOWN. Hard. As in, caught myself with my hands and knees and then had blood running down my legs for everyone to see.

Because did I stop? Nooo, I got up faster than I ever have before and then jogged at an even faster pace for the rest of my jog so that I could jog off my embarrassment. Of course, the blood was running down my leg like a freaking scarlet letter sign "clumsy-*kitten* broad, watch it!"

And did it hurt at the time? No. Not really. I was at the end of my jog, so the adrenaline was flowing. Now I am whimpering like a baby, and trying not to clutch my knees.

*sigh* Please, someone lose their pride with me.

Replies

• JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Bwahahaha sorry you fell! Falling is funny though! I've definitely fallen going UP the stairs while walking up to the street from the subway! Sorry people behind me, but oops there goes my butt cheeks in your face!
  • promiseskept
    Options
    3 weeks ago I tore up the palm of my hand and knee like this. I have a lot of weight to lose so it was fat girl falling down. But! I thought to myself, I am glad I don't have the extra 28 lbs that I had on me in November!! It still was humbling and embarrassing. Glad you weren't injured any worse!
  • reallivefitness
    Options
    Oh no! I've never fallen like that on a run, but I am super clumsy all the time, so I am normally tripping over air. It happens, and way to go for finishing your run! I probably would have started crying and called someone to pick me up. :-P
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    Many of us have been there.

Was it embarrassing? Yes.

Did it stop you? No, because you're driven to succeed :)

That says a lot about who you are... An awesome person who pushes through the pain in life and comes out better on the other side.

Way to go!

-Rain
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Not quite eating pavement, but I was walking along the train platform and I was the only one walking along it and a lot of people were already there waiting for the train when suddenly a pigeon underestimated its flight route and smacked its wings in my face. Of all the weirdest things, it happened to me. The bystanders found this amusing.
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that... I ended up with stitches in my chin though, since I wasn't able to catch myself (probably a good thing since I may have broken wrists if I had).

I was approximately 2 miles from home. The headphones went flying, the owner of the house across the street came running out to check on me since he heard me fall (was in the back yard working). When I called my husband to come pick me up, there was no answer (he was in the shower). The homeowner drove me home and I drove myself to the hospital. It was kind of nerve racking taking a ride from the stranger, but in the end, I am glad that I did (had considered continuing on my run as well). I later delivered a basket of baked goods to the homeowner as a thank you.

Hope you are feeling better quickly!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Not when running, but when I was 8 months pregnant and in the middle of crossing the street, I tripped on an unever part of the street. A nice older gentleman rushed out and helped me up. He asked if I was ok, and I assured him I was. Went to the hospital later to visit a friend, and ran into the nice helpful older gentleman again. He saw me, and came up right away. He says, I thought you told me you were ok. I laughed, and said I was just visiting a friend. But I had to suffer the humiliation twice.
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I braked too hard on my bike once and went over the handlebars in front of loads of people, I was so embarassed and people coming up to see if I was ok just made it 10x worse!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I was running in an area with no sidewalks, so I was on the road. Ya know how it kinda slants off on the sides towards the gravel? Yeah - I fell OFF the road. Sprained my ankle to boot!

Was walking through Palm Springs after a business dinner with some clients - NOTE - I had not had anything to drink. Sidewalks were brick - I had on heels. We were walking along laughing - then BLAM! I'm on the ground. Stupid heels + weak ankles + cracks between the bricks = Kristen on her *kitten*! At least no one you KNEW was standing right next to you when you did it. :D
  • mynewyorkad
    Options
    These are helping so much! Glad I'm not alone!

I feel your pain, and at least we can all laugh about it now, right? LOL
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Not when running, but when I was 8 months pregnant and in the middle of crossing the street, I tripped on an unever part of the street. A nice older gentleman rushed out and helped me up. He asked if I was ok, and I assured him I was. Went to the hospital later to visit a friend, and ran into the nice helpful older gentleman again. He saw me, and came up right away. He says, I thought you told me you were ok. I laughed, and said I was just visiting a friend. But I had to suffer the humiliation twice.

I had a prego "oops" too... only a couple weeks before my son was born. It was November, my feet were so swollen that the only thing I could squeeze on them were flip flops. I learned that old navy flip flops and painted pavement don't like eachother. One leg back... one leg forward... ouch. That smooth move landed me in the hospital to make sure the thigh to the underbelly didn't hurt my munchkin. He was fine - just my ego got bruised in the process.

Did I mention I was walking out of a store - in the rain - with about a dozen people around? I was up and walking to the car before anyone had a chance to offer help. I can still hear the gasps from the crowd when I went down....
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Just a few weeks ago I was running at the park. The trail makes a 90 degree turn onto a wooden bridge. Well, the bridge was wet. My feet flew up and I piled into the rail. It was very exciting.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Got a lovely scar on my knee as proof that I fell HARD while running about 5 years ago I hit a hole in the road....I even saw it coming, but couldn't stop myself! Unfortunately, when I got up, not only did I have blood running down my leg, but I had twisted my ankle. I wasn't embarrassed because I was about a mile outside of town on a lonely little road and no one saw it. But for a week I had to explain why I was limping! I'm just starting to do a little jogging again....still just doing intervals. But I now either use a treadmill or go to the track to do my jogging. I don't want to ever repeat that incident.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Awww..I'm sorry you fell. My story is similar, but from high school. I was riding my bike to softball practice (about 4 miles) down a main road that ran in and out of town when I was feeling hot. I took off my coat and had it draped on my arm....well the sleeve went in between the tire and the brake and my bike came to a screeching halt! Of course, I flew over the handle bars and skid on the ground......all those terrible little stones on the shoulder. My hands and knees were all torn up! It was so embarrassing! Of course all these cars stopped to see if I was okay.....so humiliating! lol
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I was running along the chicago lakefront with my dad, boyfriend (now hubby) with my mom waiting...we all ran our own paces. So I show up at the end of the run limping and bleeding from elbows knees and somehow a huge scrape on my back too....when asked what happened all I could say was...I fell down.....didn't trip really over any obstacle...didn't get tripped. Or bumped...just fell down...did a great judo roll and got back on my feet and kept running...now the lakefront was crowded that day but not a soul checked on me...despite the blood I think the reddest part about me were my blushing cheeks
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    When I first started running, I fell 3 times in the first year. I haven't since and I hope I'm not jinxing myself!!!

Two times, I did it just like you....tripped on an uneven sidewalk, caught my toe and went down on my knees and hands. OUCH! The third time I tripped on my dog who was not looking forward and swerved into me and I caught his leg. We were both hurt on that one.

I think it's very common when you first start running. You just have to get used to that foot fall and become aware when you zone out.

Here's hoping we stay road rash free!
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're pretty badass! That is awesome to keep going like that. I would have sleeked into a corner somewhere.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I tripped over a root one time trail running way back in college. No one was around though & I didnt get banged up.

My worst trip was in high school running the intermediate hurdles at a big track meet. Leading the race, next to last hurdle..BAM. Down, lost the race, finished 4-5th.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't have any running stories like that. However, I used to Mt Bike a lot. Plenty of bumps and scrapes from that. Not from gnarly down hills or riding off 6 ft drop-offs. Concentration is usually pretty good for the stuff you can really get hurt on.

But rather the mundain stuff. Last summer I was at the end of my ride. It was hot. I was going into the wind, and I was really tired. I was going through some shallow sand on a dirt road, and I just stopped pedaling and fell over. I layed in the sand with my bike on top of me for at least 30 seconds before I realized what happened. Luckily no-one was around for miles....or was that a bad thing?

Most emberassing was on Sunday I was just messing around on my bike. I was trying to ride over some RR ties in front of the neighbors house. Instead going perpedicular to the tie, I went at an angle, and ended up on the ground. I could see them laughing at me from the window. I was laughing too.
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    OH NO! I'm sorry. And I'm laughing.

I fell at the gas station last week. I was pumping gas and went to peak on my kids and I fell, dramatically, into the car and onto the ground. People jumped out of their cars to check on me. And that was just while walking.

My husband's best friend lives in DC. He rides his bike everywhere, and had just gotten new pedals with straps for the feet. (I'm sure you can see where this is going). Well, on his maiden voyage he came to a red-light, and stopped, and couldn't get his feet out of the straps. He said it was mad busy (am rush hour!), and it was a slow motion fall. He said he had plenty of time to think about it and realize that there was nothing he could do about it. Lol.