What is this?

Options
Your estimated BMR is: 1,379 calories/day*

Hi everyone, can you please help me with this...above is what my estimated BMR is...so now what...does that mean that I have to eat less than that to loose weight, or is that what I have to eat? Sorry this may be a dumb question, but I guess I will never learn if I don't ask eh.

Thanking you in advance for your help!
Jo

Replies

• VictorinoDennis
    Options
    Did you put in how much weight you wanted to lose a week? If so this is the calories that MFP recommends to reach that goal
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    That is how many calories your body needs to survive with no exercise (laying in bed all day) based on your life style. If you eat less than that your body could switch to starvation mode and retain weight. You need to factor in your exercise and eat your calorie goals.
  • angsaysrawr
    Options
    Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.

BMR is the MINIMUM amount of energy needed for your body to function including breathing and keeping your heart beating. It does not take into account any additional activity so you should be trying to consume AT the very least that many calories for your body functions.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    This is the explanation of your BMR as posted on the BMR page

What is your BMR?
    Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating.
    Your BMR does not include the calories you burn from normal daily activities or exercise.
    Our calculator uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation.