Not Out of Breath, Legs Just Hurt

Options
I'm having trouble getting back into exercise. I am trying to do the C25K/spend time on the elliptical but my body is not cooperating. I have very high arches and wear sport inserts, but when i run my leg swells and it pinches a nerve in my calf, which makes my leg burn like fire and my foot goes numb.

So, after trying to push through for 15m or so, I stop, and hop on the elliptical to keep my heart rate up, but it really aggrevates my shin splints, and eventually its keep going and cry, or stop and stretch, feeling disappointed. The problem is, I dont feel I can really push myself without causing some sort of injury - which I don't want to do because I don't want to set myself back further!

Any advice on stretches/leg strengthening exercises to help this? Thanks!

Replies

• Deafmom130
    Options
    You def dont want to injure yourself any more than you do you have. Try waking for a while. Be sure you do your strethes before you exercise.
  • bbdzee
    bbdzee Posts: 35
    Options
    I have heard of stretching your foot out and tracing the alphabet with your big toe. i have never done it. i usually check sparkpeople.com for exercises and stretches. There are demos for everything. It's a great site! It also does meal plans and all sorts of stuff. Check it out!
    I had issues getting back to workingout too. My shins and ankles were so sore the first few days. Now they are so much better! You could also try cardio intervals----Like 10 minutes cardio then like 3 minutes of toning----Like in The Firm videos. Heart rate stays up but you get it all done at once.
    Hope this helps! Just keep your chin up and take it easy for a little. You will be running in no time!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • DallasLeann
    Options
    I am just starting out again and have the same problem with shin splints. When I get warmed-up, I stop and stretch my calfs and point my toes up and down (stretching my shins?). This helps some. Just don't overdo it. Each time will be better than the last., and building up muscle in your calfs will help.
  • brandifriday
    brandifriday Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey. I am doing the C25K, and am currently in week 6. My legs always hurt, lol....I just push through the pain. Do your legs hurt or are they PAINFUL? If they hurt/are sore thats normal, but PAIN is not normal. So if they hurt, push through but do not ever push to where you could injure yourself. Also, are you taking days off in between running? Running is very high impact and if you are overweight (like me) then it puts even more strain on your body, so you need low impact days in between to let your body recover.

Also, in the past I have been really bad about doing too much too soon, and it would derail me fast!! Start out slow, with lots of recovery in between and you should be good. And look up basic runner's stretches for after your workout. Good luck and keep going :)
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions! This has really been bumming me out about my workouts!

I will def try the ABC thing, I've actually been doing it under my desk all day!

Also, to answer the question - its real pain. I do weight training as well, so I know what good, sore muscles feel like (I actually rather like the feeling). This just feels like I'm going to cause some sort of injury, its a burning/stabbing rather than a sore/achy. :frown:

Again, thank you all for the fantastic advice. I will try to do more stretching and work on slowly strengthening rather than getting frustrated and hurting myself :blushing:
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you really have a problem with shin splints, and stretching/warming up doesn't have any effect, there is a permanent solution that a chiropractor (or perhaps a sports therapist) can do for you. It's not surgical, but it is very painful and requires several treatments.
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    I've always had great results with the ABC thing. Works like a charm in days for me.