Protein Powders...Talk to Me!

Options

Replies

• deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Whey and Casein powder.

Banana Cream you can't fail with.
    Chocolate Coconut whey is delicious.
    Chocolate PB Casein is amazing.

Any of their flavors are generally delicious.

Myofusion banana creme is another I've heard nothing but good things about (protein blend)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Dymatize Elite. - 0 grams of sugar per scoop. Don't know if any other protein powders have that.

Taste great
    Chocolate - banana - put in chocolate soy milk smoothie,
    Orange powder taste great mixed in with OJ .

add some frozen banana/strawberries and delish.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've been using Six Star Whey Protein in Vanilla Cream. I get 2lbs for $15 or $17 at WalMart. I make it like a smoothie, 1 cup almond breeze 1/2-1 cup of fruit and a few ice cubes. I even made a chocolate cherry flavored on the other night for dessert. 150 calories and 23g protein for 1 scoop, I think.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    touche girly.... but thyroid problems or not... soy is heavily marketed as a "health" food, and there are many concerns about soy besides it being rough on your thyroid. It is only my obligation to share with ppl the concerns I know about it so ppl will use it only in moderation. And a scoop of it a day is NOT moderation IMO =))
  • Cydnie197
    Cydnie197 Posts: 38
    Options
    because it is genital on my stomach.

I'm sorry, but THAT is funny.

I saw that too! I had tears in my eyes. I knew what she meant, but sometimes typos are SOOOOO funny! I've had some doozies in my day too. No worries, but thanks for the laugh!!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    For my money, the best you can get is EAS Whey Protein powder (chocolate flavor for me). I think it has 18g of protein, and only 130 calories per serving. Plus, you can get a giant size bag at Sams Club for under $30.
    I use the same one.

You can basically put any protein powder into a smoothie. It does not have to be mixed with water. I mix mine with 8 oz of light chocolate soy milk six mornings per week. I drink it as a "recovery" drink post-workout. :smile:
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Try whey protein! Soy protein to me is nasty and takes to long to breakdown into your system! Whey protein is better! Good luck, my friend...
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use EAS vanilla whey protein found at Samsclub in 5lb bags for $30. I put it in skim milk and it tastes like melted vanilla ice cream.

I use this one too and it tastes awesome. I just saw the 2 lbs container for about $21 at Target, but the Sam's deal sounds even better! But, if someone without a membership wants to try to find a good deal, I recommend checking Target. (I originally bought a 12.5 oz container for $14 at Pathmark supermarket, which looking back on it, was ridiculously expensive!)
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Ok glad I wasn't the only one that giggled when I read that!
  • skinnyjeans1224
    skinnyjeans1224 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology. Love the taste. it's more than just protein. Oprah has a 10 page spread this month on it in O.

Message me for details.
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Based on research, I've read the body absorbs whey protein the fastest.

Here's my blend

1 cup 1% low fat milk + 3/4 cup berries (the fresher the better) + 1 scoop of Cytosport Muscle Milk 80% concentrate 20% isolated whey protein in Vanilla(27g of protein and 130 calories per scoop)

Blend them all together.

The nutrition breakdown is 330 calories, 39grams of protein, 33 grams of carbs and 5 fat. This blend gives me about 2 full cups of the protein shake, with 27 grams of protein per scoop.

My consumption is 1 cup before and 1 cup after working out.

Read BigAugie's response in the following link. He's given a very good understanding of when to consume protein shakes and why.

http://dailyburn.com/forums/supplements/topics/protein_shake_before_or_after_workout

Hope this helps!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Many, many thanks to all who've posted. I've got lots to think about now!!

much success to you!

j
  • greyhoundluv
    Options
    Great question Julia! I also use whey protein, for the reasons that others have said--it metabolizes so much better relative to other protein powder sources, especially if you get a high quality whey. It is another example of "you get what you pay for"--so I have found that I tolerate certain brands of whey protein better than others. I use one that is a combination of whey protein isolate and concentrate, and it comes from hormone-free, grass-fed milk sources. It is called Dream Protein, and you can find it online--I also add a green powder to it called Greens First, which has lots of antioxidants and powdered veggie sources (it is hard for me to eat green veggies whole sometimes!). I have found this combo very stomach-friendly.
    I cannot for the life of me stomach soy protein shakes of any type, so I avoid them like the plague!!
    Hope that helps.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Believe what u want. I personally feel that my soy latte a day for the last few years has contributed to my thyroid/ metabolism issues. Go ahead and have a scoop a day and I'll laugh when u start getting man boobs lmao

Yes, right... everybody have man boobs in Asia, where a lot of soy is consumed.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

I got quite a chuckle out of that, too:)
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've tried

Gaspari Isofusion Vanilla and Chocolate. This one was really good but I got it half price on clearance. Not sure If I'll pay full price for it.

Body Fortress Strawberry, chocolate, and Vanilla. This was from Walmart and fairly cheap. Its ok

Six Star Pro Nutrition Chocolate. This one is good and was inexpensive.

I mix mine with 1 cup of milk, 1 container of yogurt(Carbmaster-it has 60 calories), fruit(6 strawberries or 1 cup of mixed berries or 1 banana) and ice. I love these. My husband and I have been eating at least one a day this summer. It is like a healthy dessert. I won't claim it tastes like ice cream though. The way I make it makes a huge amount that you really could half. Its about 350 calories for the whole thing.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

You're welcome :)

Yes it's a bit pricey but it's worth it IMO since a few of the flavors taste so damn good.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    is it just for pure protein intake? you can use hemp protein or pea protein to put into soups, but don't drink them on their own they is nasty XD

PHD diet whey is good for a meal replacement, as in Optimum health's diet protein
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein Powder. We buy it at Costco for $50 for 55 servings. I'm lactose intolerant and it doesn't bother my tummy at all. (Not sure if that's why you opted for a soy protein) It has 30 grams of protein, 140 calories and only 1 gram of sugar per serving. I love it when I add 1 cup of light chocolate soy, 1 Tb of natural peanut butter and blend with 1 cup of ice. YUM!