Running Boston!!

Options
DeeDeeLHF
DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
Hey everyone! Hope you are all having an amazing day!!:flowerforyou:

One of our own, Silvana (sdereski) is running the Boston Marathon on April 18th! She has trained hard and long and only a few know of her sacrifices to keep training, including almost being hit by a car during a winter run, fighting off dogs, etc!!

Cheer her on and send your best to her, here on this thread!:drinker: :drinker:

We are all so proud of her!!:heart:

(The link will give you the picture, and she is beautiful, but for your convenience, the text of the article is below.)

http://saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3069555

Boston bound
Regular runner headed for famous marathon
By Shirley Mills

Running the Boston Marathon is a goal of many who regularly — and seriously — lace up.

Silvana Dereski can relate.

The Wawa marathoner won the bid to participate in the famous race, which includes the gruelling Heartbreak Hill climb, so named because of its position so close to the end of the route.

The race is April 18.

Running a marathon is not new to Dereski. In October 2009, to celebrate turning 50, she ran five, one for each decade of her life, winding up last August.

Last year, she finished a marathon with two seconds to spare, realizing she could run the 42.1 kilometres or 26.2 miles when her time was below the current qualifying four hours and five minutes. Her level of fitness was good and she was injury free.

"Maybe this Boston race is easier than I thought," Dereski said.

And so began training, which, for her, was a good thing because she had just started a new job with many new challenges.

Dereski joined Weyerhaeuser in 1995, and was manufacturing manager when the plant shut its doors in 2007 due to the collapse of the forestry industry.

She was hired last October as Wawa Family Health Team executive director.

"Having to train was a bonus for the stress of learning a new job," Dereski said.

The Boston Marathon is the world's oldest annual marathon, beginning in 1897, and inspired by the 1896 Summer Olympics. It attracts some 20,000 runners annually and takes place the third Monday in April. Women weren't officially allowed to enter until 1972. Roberta "Bobbi" Gibb is the first woman recognized to have run the entire marathon in 1966.

The Boston Athletic Association organizers have announced a new qualifying time by dropping five minutes for every age group, to take effect in 2013. For Dereski, that would mean her time would have to be four hours.

She began running in high school, and still regularly laces up, which she says helps her cope with personal sadness, family troubles and work-related stress.

"I believe exercise keeps you healthy, and for me it's running," Dereski said.

Dereski's husband, Daryl, also lost out when Weyerhaeuser shut down, so he now works out of town. But the couple sometimes train during days off.

The Dereskis have two grown sons and are about to become grandparents.

"Mainly I feel lucky I can do this," Dereski said when asked about her training, and all that goes with it.

A balanced diet, no alcohol and cross training, work for her.

"People wonder and ask, 'Do you find the long training runs daunting? What are your thoughts?' "

Dereski agreed the long, lonely miles can be difficult. For her, it's time to think of friends and those she misses, as well as home and family. She also figures out solutions to problems while steadily hitting the macadam for hours.

"I'm going to be a grandmother, so the other day I was thinking about meeting my new grandchild and just how happy that made me," she added. "Amazing how you can love someone you haven't met yet, so much."

Replies

• DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    shamelessly bumping my own thread!:laugh:
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :drinker: Best of luck, Silvana! We're cheering for you!
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I belong to a running group down here and S. FLA. and one of my fellow runner's is running Boston. I have heard the story of Heartbreak Hill and I love to hear about different experiences by different runners.

It's a lifetime achievement and something to to be exceptionally proud of. I hope someday I will run the Boston Marathon or at least my dream.... a Marathon in Hawaii.

Great story of inspiration to all of us fellow dedicated runners :smile:
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    SILVANA I am so completely PROUD of you! This article brought tears to my eyes!!!!
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I will be thinking of you and cheering you on from Ontario!!! My fiance's co-worker is running that race too, he gave me advice on my marathon.
    I have faith and I am sure this experience will be one you will remember forever!!! Good Luck and have fun!!! :drinker:
  • Jennrz
    Jennrz Posts: 32
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Good luck and have fun! We will all be cheering for you!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support! :smile:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Silvana is doing great!! She is almost half way!!!
  • ngolston
    ngolston Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Cheering you on from Augusta, GA!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Congratulations Silvana!! We are all so proud of you!!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart: :smooched: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

Here is the link for Silvana's stats:

http://raceday.baa.org/individual.html

BIB NAME AGE M/F CITY ST CTRY CTZ
    20925 Dereski, Silvana 50 F Wawa ON CAN
    5k 0:28:41
    10k0:57:10
    15k 1:32:54
    20k 2:03:39
    Half2:10:18
    25k 2:36:16
    30k3:10:52
    35k 3:46:30
    40k4:20:54

Finish:
    Start Offset 00:01:30
    Pace0:10:31 Proj. Time
    Offl. Time4:35:41
    Overall 20991 Gender
    Division709
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!