How long is too long in a plateau??

Options
Ok, I've been "stuck" for over 6 weeks. How long is too long to be stuck in a plateau and not have any major changes? Looking back you could say I've "zig zagged" some (even if not truly planned), but my overall is still a reduced calorie average.....somewhere around my 1200....I work out 4-5 times a week alternating strength and cardio. When is something supposed to happen? I am getting kind of frustrated! :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Read the blog I have linked to below, with only 6 lbs to lose and eating 1200 calories, you fit into the type that my plateau blog addresses. I just busted a 3 month one...
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    If you are only eating 1200 calories period (and not net), I suggest you eat more - eat what you burn from exercise. Also, you try changing up your workout plan -> add in more strength training, change your cardio, try a new class at the gym, pick up running, etc. It's hard to tell without seeing your food diary.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Well... it's a good question without a great answer. I stopped losing weight last fall. I went from early November to late February with virtually no loss of weight. Big changes in body composition, yes. And I lost inches. But not a pound. In the end of February I gained 2 pounds. My coach was actually enthusiastic because it was all muscle. I cried.

I got some metabolic testing done. I found out my caloric needs as described on any chart published (including the one calculated for me at MFP) was too high, between 500-700 calories a day too high. Who knew? The doctor said "that's your pound a week, right there". Sure enough, I dropped my calorie allowance for the day and now I'm losing again, more than a pound a week every week for five weeks. But not everyone is the same.

If you have been losing all along and suddenly stopped your body's needs may have changed. You could try changing your workouts (I did that) you could change the balance of carbs and proteins (I did that, too) or you may have to see a professional, which I wish I had done a lot earlier.

I will say this, walking across that plateau was emotionally about the most difficult thing I've done in years. I learned a lot about myself and figured out exactly what my goals were. I figure if I can stay mostly faithful to my determination to live a healthy life without a weekly attagirl from the scale for four months, that's character change that's even better than weight loss.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've been "stuck" for over 6 weeks. How long is too long to be stuck in a plateau and not have any major changes? Looking back you could say I've "zig zagged" some (even if not truly planned), but my overall is still a reduced calorie average.....somewhere around my 1200....I work out 4-5 times a week alternating strength and cardio. When is something supposed to happen? I am getting kind of frustrated! :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

With only 6 lbs to go I would suggest setting your goal at 0.5lbs/week if you are not there already. The less you have to lose the smaller your deficit should be. This would give you more calories, and be sure to eat your exercise calories.
  • hoolyjulie
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this blog! It is what I have been looking all over for!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677
  • Shandke
    Shandke Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes definately thanks for your replies. Your blog explains quite a bit and I guess I will try to change it up and see how things go.

And yes my calories are all net around 1200....some days more - some slightly under but nothing extreme....just seems to stay the same. I think being short and female is sometimes a double whammy!