Tomato, Basil and Fresh Mozzarella Salad

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Tomato, Basil, and Fresh Mozzarella Salad

In this classic salad, infused vegetable broth provides the base for a basil sauce that can stand in for the traditional pesto or vinaigrette. Blanching the basil leaves briefly in water brightens the color and intensifies the flavor. Dress the salad just before serving to preserve the brilliant colors of the tomatoes.

Ingredients
Basil sauce:
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt

Salad:
12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices yellow tomato (1 1/2 pounds)
12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices red tomato (1 1/2 pounds)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil

Preparation
To prepare basil sauce, cook 1 cup basil leaves in boiling water 15 seconds; drain. Plunge basil into ice water; drain and pat dry. Combine basil and broth in a blender; process until smooth. Let mixture stand 2 hours at room temperature. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Add vinegar and salt, stirring with a whisk.
To prepare salad, arrange yellow and red tomato slices alternately on a large platter. Drizzle with basil sauce; sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Top with 1/2 cup sliced basil. Serve immediately.

Yield
8 servings (serving size: 3 tomato slices, about 1 tablespoon basil sauce, and 1 tablespoon cheese)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 60(32% from fat); FAT 2.1g (sat 1.1g,mono 0.6g,poly 0.3g); IRON 1.2mg; CHOLESTEROL 6mg; CALCIUM 70mg; CARBOHYDRATE 8.4g; SODIUM 369mg; PROTEIN 3.2g; FIBER 2g

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    Tomato, Basil, and Fresh Mozzarella Salad

In this classic salad, infused vegetable broth provides the base for a basil sauce that can stand in for the traditional pesto or vinaigrette. Blanching the basil leaves briefly in water brightens the color and intensifies the flavor. Dress the salad just before serving to preserve the brilliant colors of the tomatoes.

Ingredients
    Basil sauce:
    1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
    1/3 cup vegetable broth
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon sea salt

Salad:
    12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices yellow tomato (1 1/2 pounds)
    12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices red tomato (1 1/2 pounds)
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil

Preparation
    To prepare basil sauce, cook 1 cup basil leaves in boiling water 15 seconds; drain. Plunge basil into ice water; drain and pat dry. Combine basil and broth in a blender; process until smooth. Let mixture stand 2 hours at room temperature. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Add vinegar and salt, stirring with a whisk.
    To prepare salad, arrange yellow and red tomato slices alternately on a large platter. Drizzle with basil sauce; sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Top with 1/2 cup sliced basil. Serve immediately.

Yield
    8 servings (serving size: 3 tomato slices, about 1 tablespoon basil sauce, and 1 tablespoon cheese)

Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 60(32% from fat); FAT 2.1g (sat 1.1g,mono 0.6g,poly 0.3g); IRON 1.2mg; CHOLESTEROL 6mg; CALCIUM 70mg; CARBOHYDRATE 8.4g; SODIUM 369mg; PROTEIN 3.2g; FIBER 2g
  • chubbymexicanswife
    Options
    MMMMM Sounds yummy! Can't wait to try it!
  • maggierex
    Options
    this is one of my favorites that i haven't been eating because it is usually so high in fat from the oil. this recipe sounds great!!! i can't wait to try it :bigsmile:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    *drool* sounds yummy!!! When I can get fresh tomatos at the farmers market will def. have to make this!!! *drool*
  • Sillymama88
    Options
    That recipe looks awesome....I love using fresh mozzarella with salads or tomatoes. My thing is just not eating to MUCH of it. :smile:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Here's a pic of it from the website
    tomato-salad-ck-320094-l.jpg
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Bump for Ali
  • jaydedfaery
    Options
    I love this with pesto instead of the fresh basil.
  • vldowd
    vldowd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to have to try this one!