Lots of ricotta and out of ideas

Options
swimmermama
swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
I have a big container of ricotta and do NOT want to make lasagna. In fact, I would rather stay away from pasta at all. Pasta just doesn't sound good to me tonight. Also, I am vegetarian.

Does anyone have quick, fun, and yummy ideas for what to do with this ricotta? I do have zucchini, onion, and spinach... and need to go to the store soon anyways. So, I could get other veggies as well.

Thanks!

Replies

• lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You could go to allrecipes.com and use their recipe finder, you can put in what ingredients you want AND the ingredients you don't want
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Brushetta? Ricotta is delicious on pizza, esp white pizza. There are also a wide variety of desserts out there you can make with it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The South Beach Diet offers a lot of desserts based on ricotta. The easy ones include: mix in some lemon juice and a packet of Splenda for each serving. Mix in a Tbsp of cocoa powder and a packet of Splenda...

I have been meaning to try to blend in some fruit, as well, but I have not gotten around to it.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I spread it on toast, top with walnuts, and a drizzle of honey.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i love mixing racotta with some stevia/splenda and cocoa powder! it makes a sort of chocolate mousse. Its extra delicious with some raspberries on top and a little cool whip
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    When I did the South Beach Diet they had a recipe where you mixed ricotta with cocoa and artificial sweetener. Both to your liking. It was sooooooooooo good!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    You can put ricotta on a slice of bread and top it with apples or apricots and bake it up nice and toasty. :love:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    You can make a ricotta desert - add powdered cocoa to tast and artificial sweetner (or real sugar if you like). I use 1 c ricotta 2 T dark Cocoa and 2 T sugar. Makes a rich tasting desert - about 1/4 cup or less per serving.
  • Britt22706
    Options
    I know that there are a lot yummy low calorie desserts out there with ricotta cheese. Also, it is great in smoothies!

I've also made Ricotta cheese pancakes before and they tasted great!!
  • forkeeps
    forkeeps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Simple....Grill/saute the zuchinni and onions (with some garlic and possibly some tomatoes if you have them) salt and pepper, maybe a bit of dried oregano, toss in the ricotta to warm...toss in with the spinach and you've got a "warm" spinach salad.
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    omg!!! polenta!!! so you make 2 cookie sheets of polenta, let it cool. olive oil and sauce in a deep baking dish. layer polenta, ricotta, spinach, sauce, parm cheese. repeat. the pollenta is pretty firm when it sets so you can cut it easily...stack away!!!!

mmmm....getting hungry!
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem so i just put it in an omelet with some baby spinach this morning and it was pretty tasty.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    You can put ricotta on a slice of bread and top it with apples or apricots and bake it up nice and toasty. :love:

I've done this with strawberries! It was so good. Yum!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/215024-ricotta-cheese-dessert?page=1#posts-2842341 Just bumped it to the top again. Try making different desserts out of it.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    You could go to allrecipes.com and use their recipe finder, you can put in what ingredients you want AND the ingredients you don't want

Yep! I did and I think I am going to try this recipe tonight:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ricotta-Stuffed-Zucchini/Detail.aspx

That still leaves me with lots of ricotta, though... :)
  • swimmermama
    Options

Yum! I have done this with strawberries but not walnuts and honey. Thanks for the idea!
  • swimmermama
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/215024-ricotta-cheese-dessert?page=1#posts-2842341 Just bumped it to the top again. Try making different desserts out of it.

I have dessert for the next few nights in the form of a pumpkin cheesecake that I made... to use up some pumpkin :) Still, I might have to try some of these dessert ideas soon!

Thank you so much!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Ricotta Semifreddo

YIELD: 8 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Ingredients
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup fat-free milk
    1/4 cup honey
    2 teaspoons grated orange rind
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    3 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
    1 (16-ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese (such as Calabro)
    1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
    Fresh orange sections (optional)
    Fresh currants (optional)

Preparation
    1. Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, milk, honey, orange rind, vanilla extract, 1/8 teaspoon salt, cream cheese, and ricotta in a blender; process until smooth. Pour the mixture into a large bowl. Pour cream into a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/4 cup whipped cream into ricotta mixture. Fold in the remaining cream.

2. Spoon mixture into prepared loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze at least 8 hours or until set. Remove semifreddo from freezer, and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Discard top piece of plastic wrap. Invert loaf pan onto a serving platter, and tap to remove semifreddo. Discard the remaining plastic wrap, and slice semifreddo crosswise. Serve

Amount per serving
    Calories: 226
    Fat: 10.1g
    Saturated fat: 6.3g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
    Protein: 8.6g
    Carbohydrate: 25.8g
    Fiber: 0.1g
    Cholesterol: 39mg
    Iron: 0.3mg
    Sodium: 176mg
    Calcium: 193mg
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

That sounds delicious!
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't want lasagna... BUT- there is a great "Delicious Zucchini Lasagna" recipe posted on the recipe board here. Sliced zucchini replaces noodles. Good w/ added veggies like mushrooms and peppers.

Quick dessert- ricotta mixed w/ honey and fruit