Sodium intake is so high

Options
any ideas on how to cut down my daily sodium intake? I seem to be going over a lot lately. Even turkey meat is so high in sodium. I'm pleased with my diet, but I suspect I'm retaining too much water weight due to sodium alone.

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Get away from boxed, packaged and processed foods. It's hard to do in this day and age but that is the only way to get sodium numbers down. Most of your cold cuts, fat free items, soups, etc. are full of sodium.

Getting plenty of potassium will balance out sodium number. People with low potassium can also have high blood pressure issues.
  • SuzMac1981
    SuzMac1981 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    It takes me an hour and a half to go grocery shopping, I am the Queen Reader of Labels. I KNOW my sodium makes me retain water so now I read EVERYTHING before I buy it. I don't choose lunch meats as my first choice because the sodium is so high. I had to switch peanut butters because the reduced fat one had higher sodium than the natural one - and the calorie and fat difference isn't outrageous. I am monitoring my calories and my sodium and it seems to be working for me.

Just read all labels before you eat it... then ask yourself if it will be worth it.... if you are okay with it, then you eat it. If you think you'll be affected by it or you'll be off your sodium level, don't eat it. It's simple.

I also adjusted my daily allowance of sodium to 2,000.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hard to know without having access to your food diary.

Lunch meats are high in sodium though....so if you are eating those daily there is part of your problem right there. I have heard getting your sliced meats from the deli directly is lower in sodium but don't know this for a fact. I avoid sandwiches and lunch meats forthe most part anyway.
  • ckkh
    ckkh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I can't view your food diary, but I am guessing that processed foods are the culprit. I would recommend avoiding processed foods (including restaurant food) as much as possible. On foods that you must buy processed - read the labels carefully! There is a huge variation in the sodium content of various salad dressings, prepared soups, lunch meats, etc. So read the labels and pick those with the lowest sodium. Good Luck!
  • wecmom
    wecmom Posts: 11
    Options
    Get rid of foods that are pre-made or processed, like your lunch meats. The closer to homemade you get, the less sodium you will have. Watch the labels for a few weeks - the sodium of some things will shock you, but the knowledge you gain will be worth it.
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I changed my sodium intake to 1500mg daily. It was really hard but after a few weeks I could easily stay well under. You have to eat more fresh fruits and veggies. Canned products have tons of salt. Frozen aren't that bad. Don't eat any meat you don't make yourself-they load it with salt, too. Try a Google search for low sodium products/recipes. I found a deli turkey meat from Dietz and Watson that is low fat/cal and only 50mg of sodium. And get use to spending time in the grocer reading every single label! It's a pain but after awhile you'll be able to tell what you can and cannot have.

Good luck!
  • LoWo413
    LoWo413 Posts: 2
    Options
    I had to be on a low-sodium diet for health reasons. It's surprising how much sodium is in our food! Basically, increase your raw foods, decrease your processed ones and decrease condiment use.

If you have a turkey sandwich - there are some lower sodium deli meats, use low-sodium Swiss or Jarlsberg cheese (if you use cheese), cut down on mayo or cut it out and pile on the veggies (no pickles or olives). I think there might be low-sodium bread too.

Look for low-sodium salad dressings or just use red wine vinegar & lemon juice (0 sodium) for your salads.

Use sea salt instead of table salt when cooking.

And just read labels. :smile:

It's a pretty common health concern, so there are a lot of products out there with low sodium or at least offer reduced.
  • REman
    REman Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This has been the most difficult hurdle for me - even more difficult than losing 40 lbs.

I'd suggest preparing your own food more often. Don't add salt to items that you know will already contain something with a lot of sodium. For example, I don't usually add salt when I cook rice because I know I'm going to combine it with stir fry, something which already contains salt. Same goes when I'm making burritos. I add no salt to beans, rice, or guac because I know there is going to be salt in the hot sauce I use and in the cheese.

Try pinpointing exactly where your salt intake is coming from and cut that down. I used to eat three whole eggs every morning and now I eat one whole egg and two egg whites (hard boiled).

Finally, if you absolutely have to eat at restaurants, learn which items you can cut back on so as to minimize your salt intake. If you're going to order a cheeseburger, make it a hamburger instead. Cutting the cheese eliminates calories and sodium. If you're ordering pizza, ask for light cheese.
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    processed foods = high sodium... quick example:

for dinner if you make uncle ben's long grain 90 second rice, you add 365 mgs of sodium :sad:

if you make the old fashioned 20 minute rice instead, you add 0 mgs of sodium :happy:

most quick & easy meals have a lot of sodium in them... i know MFP allots 2500 mgs of sodium a day, but i stay @ or below 1500... hope this helps!! good luck to you!!
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I've found in the last few days the only way I can stay under my sodium goal is to plan my whole day out meal wise. I can then eliminate things and add a better choice if it will put me over. I buy anything I can in low sodium, or no salt added. I don't use the salt shaker at all. I haven't needed my blood pressure meds for two weeks. I am actually getting used to the natural taste of foods and don't miss the salt to the point where I can't stand it.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i keep my sodium intake at 1500mg daily.
    i do this by saying NO to processed or pre-packageed foods.

i make my own soups, i eat a lot of fresh, or frozen vegetables and a lot of fresh fruit.
    STAY AWAY from canned vegetables since the canning process basically sucks out all the nutrients in the vegetables and put in a crap load of sodium in its place.

don't use the salt shaker either.

they also make low sodium and no salt added options in the grocery store.

just keep your eyes open when you go shopping, and when you turn an item over to look at the calories, check the sodium too!! :)
  • Mickvond
    Mickvond Posts: 7
    Options
    i found this and i am now going to live by it....

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/lowering-your-salt-intake.html