NO SPIDERS!!

Options
lizdavis07
lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
so i hear crossing your legs often causes bad spider veins around your knees...
anyone heard of this or could it be a myth?
i wear dresses and skirts at my job and this is the best way for me to sit without showing my "promised land" to the world...:blushing: :wink:

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that, just not sure of the facts behind it....have also heard that standing for long periods, like if you have a waitress job will do the same.....
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I've not seen that. I can understand how the notion came up though, cutting off bits of circulation could influence the development of gnarly looking veins.

It takes some leg muscle and commitment, but try sitting with your knees closed. It is a conscious effort, since this isn't a natural pose for us humans, but if you do it, you are both working out, hiding your goods,and avoiding the very slight possibility of spidery veins. :smile:
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    its true. when you cross your legs for a long time you can cause backflow of blood in the veins which is the cause of spider veins. its actually your veins stretching because of the backflow.
  • Kathy11174
    Options
    It is true I have them and they are ugly!! If you can avoid it try not to cross your legs, just cross them at the ankles.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Can't be from crossing the legs....I haven't done that in years! :tongue: I do have spider veins and vericose veins because every job that I have ever worked has been on my feet. I didn't start wearing support/compression socks until the last 5 years or so. I hear they have some great new treatments for spider veins though.
  • Nbean24
    Nbean24 Posts: 14
    Options
    Try sitting with your ankles crossed and off to the side....that way no spider viens!
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that, just not sure of the facts behind it....have also heard that standing for long periods, like if you have a waitress job will do the same.....

i sit with my legged crossed all day at my first job, then i stand all night serving at my second job....i guess i'm just all around screwed lol