Ladies only...Sorry guys:(

Options
How much percent body fat can you have in order to still be okay period wise? I've heard that if you are under 20% body fat we will stop having periods. Maybe I'm crazy or I misunderstood, is this true?

Replies

• tappytaptap
    Options
    I'm pretty sure if you stay over 18% you should be ok
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I don't know the number and I am going to guess it's probably a little different for everyone but I have heard the same thing although I thought it was much lower... something like 10% but I don't know just thought that was something I was told
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    That's all up to your body. There are some gals who have low body fat % (between 15-20) and have had regular periods and no troubles. There are also gals above that range who are spotted or non-existent periods.

It is all about our individual body setups, we are all quite different in that regard. If you are nearing the 20% mark and are concerned about this, bring it up with your doctor or just keep experimenting. Just be sure to be careful with sexual things while you try to lose more fat, so that you don't mistake a body fat loss period stop with a pregnancy.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I think when you start dipping below 15% it can wreak some havoc. But I'm not sure.
  • BodyUnderConstruction
    Options
    According to my Psychology textbook it's 20% but I think it depends overall on you.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
    It really depends on the woman- I'm at 18% now and have no issues with my period. If you dip below about 12%, however, you will most likely experience amenorrhea or some kind of disruption of your menstrual cycle.
  • tlkoehl
    tlkoehl Posts: 27
    Options
    18-23 is healthy for a woman. If your body's natural cycles start slowing down or changing then you really need to rethink what you are doing. OUr bodys need some amount of fat to sustain itself, think of it as our own insulation:bigsmile: It is one thing to lose weight cause your overweight or to maintain a healthy weight, it is a whole other area when your body starts shutting down cause you are not being nice to it. Hope this helps:heart:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I was about 18% and had no changes. I would guess closer to 15% and below is when you'd start to see changes. I found a different forum online where a girl was at 13.5% and her cycle had stopped completely.
  • bgtorres
    bgtorres Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies I'm about 21-22% percent right now & I'm about to start Insanity & I got worried when someone @ work told me not to get under 20% body fat because my period would dissapear (something I don't want I still wants more kids, lol). Hopefully I can gain muscle and not loose too much body fat on Insanity:)
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    Mine is around 14% and I still have mine. I was thinking around 10% maybe.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact percentage but this is true. Our bodies are naturally baby producers and we have to have a certain amount of body fat to support another life. If it gets too low, our bodies won't give us that opportunity so you stop having your period.
  • summer_anne
    Options
    I am at 14-16% and I am irregular... BUT I have ALWAYS been irregular. At first when you start an intense program like Insanity, you might have lighter period until your body gets used to it, but then it will get back on track. According to my doctor as long as you have 4 periods a year you should be fine with regards to fertility