jillian michaels 30 day shred for men???

Options
Is the're anything like jillian michaels 30 day shred for men? or are any men on here doing 30 day shred from her? I'm just looking for workout dvd to do on days I don't go to the gym.

Replies

• xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    My fiance is doing the shred with me (and he's not even out of shape or overweight... he runs marathons) and he has been saying what an awesome work out it is. I'd recommend it for men personally :)
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Men can definitely do it! Get some weights that suit your fitness level and it will definitely give you a workout!
    Also, fun fact- if Jillian annoys you, there's an option in the "audio settings" on the dvd to mute her and just play music. It's good that they were thinking ahead in that regard :laugh:
  • liyahxoxo
    liyahxoxo Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the workout is intended for everyone !:smile:
  • oreyna49
    oreyna49 Posts: 152
    Options
    I was leary to try it because it's a work out for women...it kicked my butt!!! It's an awsome straight to the point cardio workout that makes your heart want to jump out of your chest!!! Try It...you'll enjoy it.
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I bought Ripped in 30 recently. Apparently I'm not in the mediocre shape I thought I was. She does make a few comments that are 'lady' geared, but not a problem. Good workout so far.
  • gog427
    gog427 Posts: 82
    Options
    Thanks i'll give it 30 days:-) By the way didn't mean anything by" the for men part"it just men and women normally have different goals and the'res different workouts to reach those goals.
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I started it yesterday. OMG it's alot harder than i thought. I felt like i was gonna collapse after 13 minutes.
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I started it yesterday. OMG it's alot harder than i thought. I felt like i was gonna collapse after 13 minutes.

Me too. I felt like throwing up for well over an hour after it was over.
  • rluey29
    rluey29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Been doing it for a couple days. Making me sweat pretty good so far.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Men can do it too! There was a pretty great thread on here not too long ago where a man posted his before&after pics from doing the 30 Day Shred - he said he used anywhere from 5-30 lb weights and his pics showed a really big difference! That's the thing that got my DH to finally do the workout with me - seeing a man get results from it. My DH gets a great workout from it, granted he's a beginner like me but it's only been 2 weeks and he's already seeing results. Plus he burns like 400 calories for the 27 minutes so that's a plus. :-) Just go ahead and use the biggest weights you can handle for the exercises and go for it.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend does it when he can't get to the gym, he says it gives him a good workout when he uses the heavier weights but he thinks it's too short so sometimes he does two levels together.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Any guys that have done the shred (or girls who know guys that have :))... how heavy were the weights that you used the first time through? My boyfriend would like to join me, but we aren't sure what would be good for him (he's pretty athletic and strong, but he's never really done more cardio-based lifting before).

Thanks!
  • eganita
    Options
    Anyone? :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Any guys that have done the shred (or girls who know guys that have :))... how heavy were the weights that you used the first time through? My boyfriend would like to join me, but we aren't sure what would be good for him (he's pretty athletic and strong, but he's never really done more cardio-based lifting before).

Thanks!

Honestly, you might want to just take him to the store and have him pick up a few different weights and do some quick basics (bicep curl, tricep extension, overhead press) and let him pick out a couple that are challenging but doable. I think my husband was using between 8-15 lbs the first time through. 15 was the biggest we had at the time. Now we are doing a different program and he doesn't use anything smaller than 15 lbs. He was not athletic when we started though, yours might need bigger weights right from the start but it's hard to judge exactly what they need w/o letting them try some out first. You might even benefit from just getting him a really good adjustable set that goes up to like 40-50lbs each, that way he has 'room to grow' w/o you having to shell out cash on new sets of dumbbells when he feels ready to move on to bigger weights or a different program that calls for heavier weights. I wish I'd gotten us an adjustable set instead of wasting money buying more and more dumbbells all the time. Not that you're going to be going TOO big on Jillian's programs, b/c honestly you're doing a bajillion reps, but they would be good to have anyway.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Yup, I told my friend about it and he's just started it. I think he said he's using 10lb weights. Good luck!
  • eganita
    Options

Thanks!

Honestly, you might want to just take him to the store and have him pick up a few different weights and do some quick basics (bicep curl, tricep extension, overhead press) and let him pick out a couple that are challenging but doable. I think my husband was using between 8-15 lbs the first time through. 15 was the biggest we had at the time. Now we are doing a different program and he doesn't use anything smaller than 15 lbs. He was not athletic when we started though, yours might need bigger weights right from the start but it's hard to judge exactly what they need w/o letting them try some out first. You might even benefit from just getting him a really good adjustable set that goes up to like 40-50lbs each, that way he has 'room to grow' w/o you having to shell out cash on new sets of dumbbells when he feels ready to move on to bigger weights or a different program that calls for heavier weights. I wish I'd gotten us an adjustable set instead of wasting money buying more and more dumbbells all the time. Not that you're going to be going TOO big on Jillian's programs, b/c honestly you're doing a bajillion reps, but they would be good to have anyway.

Wow, thanks for the great advice. Sadly, I did not even know that there were adjustable weights! I appreciate the response!
  • eganita
    Options
    Yup, I told my friend about it and he's just started it. I think he said he's using 10lb weights. Good luck!

Thanks! Maybe he'll try out the 10 lb ones (I can probably use those for something myself if they are too light for him) but price the adjustable ones to see if we should go that route instead.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    My hubby did the Shred and Ripped in 30. He saw great results.
  • fervc60
    fervc60 Posts: 70
    Options
    I've been wanting to do this, but I can't get up the nerve.
  • oharabear
    oharabear Posts: 13
    Options
    My military boyfriend was making fun of my 30DS video, so I made him do it with me when he got home from Afghanistan. He was exhausted and admitted it was a great workout. I am missing my 30DS video, and I suspect that it's over at his house... ;-)