reading food labels fructose vs high fructose corn syrup, wh

Options
I've been trying to be more aware of what I am eating since my sugar count seems to be the one area that seems to be my repeat offender - Always HIGH - like double of the suggested. So I am doing my best to minimize that, it is hard.

I think these are exactly the same but in reading food labels is fructose any different from high fructose corn syrup? Some food labels say simply Frutcose - but is it identical? Or is there some difference......Google didn't give me a good answer......

Thanks!
Melissa

Replies

• emmigirl429
    emmigirl429 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This article really broke it down for me. I have completely (well, except for the occasional restaurant margarita) cut out HFCS but I'm working on fructose.

http://www.thefitshack.com/2007/03/15/what-is-hfcs-and-why-is-it-so-bad-for-my-body/
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Fructose is a simple sugar that naturally occurs in fruit and honey.

High fructose corn syrup is a man-made chemical derived from corn.
  • AmandaArnwine
    Options
    It's ALL sugar .. no matter what fancy name they give it :-)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've tried to eliminate HFCS from my diet completely because from all the articles I've read - they don't know the long term effects it has on our body. Since it is "man-made" our bodies aren't sure what to do with it vs natural sugar which our bodies know how to break down. While sugar as a rule isn't good, if I'm going to put something in my body -- I want it to know what to do with it. I read labels and don't buy anything with HFCS in it. Is it hard? You bet it is since almost everything has it in it (from bread to candy). But, the selection of non-HFCS foods IS getting larger.
  • theplanahead
    Options
    Thanks! This is all very helpful. I'm really trying to cut back on all my sugars and the last thing I want to do is forget one - so I should probably make a list of all the disguised names that sugars masquerade as!!
  • theplanahead
    Options
    Here's a list I found out there - there are probably more - I notice that fructose isn't listed on it's own....

Here is the source: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/sugars.htm

•Agave Nectar
    •Corn sweetener
    •Corn syrup, or corn syrup solids
    •Dehydrated Cane Juice
    •Dextrin
    •Dextrose
    •Fructose
    •Fruit juice concentrate
    •Glucose
    •High-fructose corn syrup
    •Honey
    •Invert sugar
    •Lactose
    •Maltodextrin
    •Malt syrup
    •Maltose
    •Maple syrup
    •Molasses
    •Raw sugar
    •Rice Syrup
    •Saccharose
    •Sorghum or sorghum syrup
    •Sucrose
    •Syrup
    •Treacle
    •Turbinado Sugar
    •Xylose
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Another thing I avoid? Sugar alcohols. There are soooo many things out there that say "Sugar Free!" and have some outrageous amount of sugar alcohol in them. I've read some not-so-good things about sugar alcohols and quite frankly... have the same opinion about those that I do about HFCS. Eat the real sugar because while it isn't good for you - at least it is natural enough for your body to know what to do with it.
  • pixieled
    pixieled Posts: 1
    Options
    While fructose may be naturally occurring in things such as fruit and honey, it is still not the preferred type of sugar. It should never be eaten in higher percentage than glucose and I'll explain the difference between glucose and fructose and why one is better than the other.
    Glucose is processed by every cell in the body to make energy, and the fat created from glucose is subcutaneous.
    Fructose is processed by the liver and the fat created goes to the belly. It is also believed that people with high fructose intake may develop cirrhosis, even if they've never had alcohol.
    The fructose that occurs in nature is always in lower percentage than the glucose and most of the natural fructose comes in the form of fruit which is fibrous. The fibrous nature of fruit helps to slow the absorption of the sugar by our bodies which helps to create less fat and more energy and also helps prevent a "sugar buzz"

(Source of information: biomedical major)
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    Sugar is in literally EVERYTHING. I think your best bet is to find sugar in it's most natural form, that is, if you must add it to things. Even cane sugar has been processed to that point. I've heard agave nectar, maple syrup (PURE) and raw honey are decent.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This is all very helpful. I'm really trying to cut back on all my sugars and the last thing I want to do is forget one - so I should probably make a list of all the disguised names that sugars masquerade as!!

I posted on another thread about carefully reading labels... check things that you wouldn't think have sugar because American food is loaded with it. Totally sickening. Bread, pasta sauce... double check it because you'd be shocked that one of the first ingredients is some form of sugar in things that you wouldn't even think are sweet!