Changed Percentages of Carbs, Protein, and Fat as Weight Dec

Options
ATT949
ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
I just clicked the "update my goals" and I'm pretty certain that MFP has changed my CPF percentages such that my carbs are significantly increased. MFP is using 55/15/30 whereas I was using 40/40/20.

Can anyone confirm that the percentages do change as weight decreases?

Also, does anyone know the rationale behind the percentages?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    When you update the number of calories using the MFP tool to select them, the whole how active are you and how much weight do you want to lose per week, it will go back to MFP defaults. Just change them back would be my suggestion however they got changed.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Yes when I update goals I have found I have to go into custom and change them back again.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response.

I get the mechanics of how to change the percentages but I'm wondering why the site is using those particular values. My percentages give me very different numbers than the ones MFP is recommending and I'd like to learn the basis for the numbers that they're using.
  • kmartin234
    Options
    Thanks for your interest in this subject. Honestly, I think your percentages of 55-15-30 are great -- that's where they should be. I have difficulty keeping my fats down because I love salads and love to cook and make sauces to go over fish and chicken and it really kicks up the fat, but oohh so good. Protein keeps you full and carbs make me fat (I know, the right kinds wouldn't) but I still think 66% carbs, even the good ones, are too many and my protein is too low. This sounds like the Weight Watchers new approach which gives you free fruits and veggies. Perhaps it's because I am at the beginning of my weight loss journey. Oh, well, unless I'm doing meal planning (which I haven't considered at this point), I'm probably gonna eat what I'm gonna eat and see how the mop flops! The last two days (which is all I've been tracking on this site) has been 25% fat of course! I'm meeting my calories goals and that's what I'm focusing on now with an eye out for lowering my fats. I bought some delicious Legrand Tzatziki (cucumber/yogurt dip) at Fresh Market and it only has 30 calories for 2T. Now that's a find. Brummel and Brown is a yogurt type butter which is extremely lower than the real thing and has a great taste.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    Carbs give you fast energy but for a short time. They are many times seen as the enemy because of you cut them out you do lose weight, however, they are essential in our bodies so need to be present together with protein. Excess carbs are stored in the body as fat.
    Protein builds muscle and gives energy in the long run. Keep you full, can not be stored by the body and thus need to be part of the diet every day.
    Fat is also transform into energy pretty fast, and it's excess can cause anything from weight gain to coronary arthery disease. They are also necessary though, but in a smaller percentage.
    40, 40, 20 is the standard when it comes to building muscle, getting energy for the long run, and keeping you full. Try and stick with this one, the previous percentages are just out of whack and very wrong!

Ps. I love me my carbs so I have 45% carbs, 35% protein and 20% fat... try changing that up a bit depending on your preferences and health state
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    Carbs give you fast energy but for a short time. They are many times seen as the enemy because of you cut them out you do lose weight, however, they are essential in our bodies so need to be present together with protein. Excess carbs are stored in the body as fat.
    Protein builds muscle and gives energy in the long run. Keep you full, can not be stored by the body and thus need to be part of the diet every day.
    Fat is also transform into energy pretty fast, and it's excess can cause anything from weight gain to coronary arthery disease. They are also necessary though, but in a smaller percentage.
    40, 40, 20 is the standard when it comes to building muscle, getting energy for the long run, and keeping you full. Try and stick with this one, the previous percentages are just out of whack and very wrong!

Ps. I love me my carbs so I have 45% carbs, 35% protein and 20% fat... try changing that up a bit depending on your preferences and health state
    lol then my do marathon runners carb load THE NIGHT BEFORE?! (you said short time only) ;) Carb, complex ones, give you energy and also fast acting carbs help the protein aid in recovery(super ideal for post workout partnered together). I love my carbs too but during fat loss I have 35% carbs, 35% protein and 30% fat. And every 5 days I carb load on my INTENSE training day and cut fat down to 30g or below but keeping protein high. As I reach maintenance I will slowly introduce a more realistic percentage of each-more so fitting my training level and oxidizing rate. Everyone needs different percentages depending on their training, their goals and their body chemistry.
    They all play a very important role, that's for sure! :-D All of them! Now I am hungry. ;)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I find it gives you higher carbs and less protein. I am diabetic so I keep my carb's lower which gave more protein.
    I think they use the heart association recomendations for low fat. I find I can keep my fat and carbs down by eating leaner protein or vegetable proteins.