How heavy should i leg press?

Options
zeeeb
zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
I had a personal trainer yesterday and he had me doing leg presses at 130 kgs (286 pounds).

That seemed pretty heavy to me (well the big weights looked impressive as the old ladies were watching me with that "oh my god" look on their faces.... But my legs feel ok today, like maybe i should have worked harder...

So, how much do you leg press, just for curiosity?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym any more but when I did in my late teens and twenties I would leg press 360 or higher. Having said that I have always had very strong legs. My upper body on the other hand has always been quite weak. I have never been able to do pull-ups or chin-ups, and my bench has never been that great. Wait another day before you think you have no soreness because of it. I have had my muscle soreness not come until the second day.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    it's all relative. how many reps did you do at 286?

throwing a number out there isn't going to really mean anything because different people have different levels of strength
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i was doing sets of 8 reps, and he started light, went up heavier, went up to 286, went down a bit, and then up a to 286 again...

it's the first training session i've had with him doing weights...
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i was doing sets of 8 reps, and he started light, went up heavier, went up to 286, went down a bit, and then up a to 286 again...

it's the first training session i've had with him doing weights...

i don't usually do leg press. i'd rather squat, but the racks were full the other day so i did leg press instead. i did 4 sets (15, 12, 8, 6 reps) with increasing weight. i think the weight i had was 360, 540, 720, 810. and then i did a couple drop sets where the only rest i had was the time it took to take a couple of plates off so i went back down to 540 and then finished with 360 lbs and did as many reps as i could (around 15 i think)

sometimes i will change it up though and do 3-4 sets at 360 pounds keeping the weight the same and the reps really high like 15-25 reps. you can really feel your legs burning after that. i really don't know if that's any more effective or not, but it's fun to change things up once in a while.