The things that make you wonder.....

ecahill91
ecahill91 Posts: 69
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
So, something strange happened over this weekend.

My fiance and I spent a lot of time together. We got a lot of errands and our food shopping done. Over the course of the weekend, I had a few beers (even right before bed), and ate a lot of foods that I wouldn't normally. We had gone out for breakfast twice, and both times I had French toast (with maple syrup). I figured that I would have gained a pound or two, but thought, hey...a girl needs to splurge sometimes!!

So, I step on the scale, and I was DOWN a pound or two!!! Unbelievable. How the heck did THAT happen? I lost even more weight doing THAT compared to when I bust my @$$ all week at the gym and eating incredibly healthy!

Does anybody have any idea as to what happened? Did I just give my body the fuel it needed to drop those pounds?? Should I do that every weekend? Am I working out TOO much, when I think it's almost not enough??

I mean, hey...if I can eat all that and drink all that and lose weight, I AM TOTALLY GAME :drinker:

What do ya think??

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    It depends on a lot of factors, like what you've been doing for the past several weeks or months. If you've been restricting calories day in and day out for a while, your body has a tendency to adapt and your metabolic rate will go down slightly. When you have a splurge, it can kick it back up a few notches, which helps to re-start the fat burn. Or possibly the beer dehydrated you. Or some combination of both.

I wouldn't say to splurge every weekend for the whole weekend, but doing a free day or a free meal or two per week is a sound strategy that I have had success with.
  • Now that you've started working out and your muscle is working for you it's going to be easier to drop those pounds. Sometimes your body needs that change so by switching it up every once in awhile (maybe not every weekend) you will still see results. Happy losing!!!!! =)
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Sounds like those extra calories gave your metabolism a jump start. Sometimes it just needs that little kick!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    ROFLMAO....I FEEL YA!
  • angmora
    angmora Posts: 22
    I have noticed the same thing..... I will have a over calorie few days and panic. And I will weigh less. I have a friend on here who is really fit and changes her calorie intake to keep her metabolism up. And sometimes when I am on vacation I get what I call accidental exercise.... where I will walk everywhere or play in the park longer than I usually work out without even noticing. So maybe you had a few contributing factors.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Sounds like those extra calories gave your metabolism a jump start. Sometimes it just needs that little kick!

that's what i was going to say too :o) sometimes we plateau because our bodies are used to functioning on lower calories & increased exercise, so the sudden excess cals & lack of activity probably made your metabolism work like crazy... that is where the theory of having a 'cheat' day or meal once a week came from :o)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    don't forget, you don't lose weight while exercising, you usually lose after the rest days. While working out your muscles store water/glycogen. After a day of rest it is let go. Perhaps you WERE working out too hard like you said. It could be any combination of these things. Anyways, it's a good thing!
  • ecahill91
    ecahill91 Posts: 69
    Thanks guys! I had no idea! I always panic when I "overeat" (in my mind, at least...) lol I guess I don't have to be afraid of Fridays anymore ;P
This discussion has been closed.