Too many calories left at the end of the day

Options
First let me say I understand why i should eat back my exercise calories. I really do. But sometimes, like tonight, I have worked out on a night when I didn't plan to (I have a 3 year old, plans change all the time) and now it's 8:30 and I have 385 calories left to eat. What should I eat? I have a feeling the fun sized kit kat bar dipped in peanut butter is not the best answer...but that's what is calling me. Please give me an alternative.

Replies

• loopylung
    Options
    Popcorn... MMMmmm.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat them...one day wont hurt in my opinion....just make sure you dont make it a daily habit....Im no expert but thats what I have been told.
  • lil_missfit
    Options
    I wouldn't eat them...one day wont hurt in my opinion....just make sure you dont make it a daily habit....Im no expert but thats what I have been told.
  • lil_missfit
    Options
    I drink tea every night with honey....at least its something:))
  • emilex
    emilex Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    LOL, the kitkat and peanut butter does sound good!

Cheese stick
    crackers
    baby carrots
    v-8
    couple slices of lunch meat
    bowl of cereal with milk

Just some random suggestions. :)
  • sari14
    sari14 Posts: 1
    Options
    I drink a glass of sweetened almond milk. It's only 60 calories and its really filling:)
  • emilex
    emilex Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    oh ya, the person who said popcorn! Great idea.
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Did you use a HRM when you worked out? Are you sure you burned that many calories? that isn't too big of a difference to eat back esp. this late at night. I usually round down on my calories burned because they can be way off at times, and I round up on my calories eaten for the same reason. This way I don't think I have a lot of calories to eat back when actually I don't... then I'll go over my goal and that isn't good. I think you only need to eat your calories back when you are positive how many you are burning and its a large number so your body doesn't go into starvation mode.

alternative is a small bowl of cereal. I love that late at night. special k is low in calories w/ low fat milk its kind of like the healthy persons bowl of ice cream.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is actually a great choice! I buy the Orville Redenbacher Smart Pop individual serving bags for portion control. They're 100 calories a bag, and not soaked in butter. I know you can buy them in the Kettle corn variety as well if you like a sweeter snack. Otherwise, air popping is always a good choice. Popcorn on it's own is a whole grain that is low in fat. It can also help you sleep at night! It's not 300 calories worth, but it's something good at least. :-)
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I was doing fine until you said Kit Kat. MMMM. The last time I had one of those was blended in a Blizzard concoction. . . but I digress.

Since you have calories left and seem to be craving chocolate, have you ever tried one of the frozen peanut butter cups from the recipes section in MFP? I have heard that they are really good.

When I'm craving candy, I make a South Beach Peanut butter cup, which is 1 tbs peanut butter, a melted fudgesicle, and a tbs of Cool Whip mixed together. It's about 300 calories, and cures me of my cravings.
  • coal686
    coal686 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would not do it all the time, but when I have that many calories left, I go ahead and splurge and don't feel guilty. The whole point of this website is that you can occasionally eat "off diet" as long as you keep accurate records. Many diets fail because they deny you even the occasional treat and are too hard to follow. My sister-in-law was drinking wheat grass shakes and eating only salads and never lost weight but this site has helped her so much since she can splurge occasionally and not feel guilty.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'd go with peanut butter if I had extra calories to work with, but just because I'm absolutely addicted to it. :)

Honestly, I don't think there's any problem with having the kitkat bar. If it fits in your calorie goal, why the hell not? As long as you incorporate fruits and veggies and lean meats and whole grains and whatever else, then it's perfectly fine to have a candy bar every now and then. I eat chocolate every day -- anywhere from fun size to full size candy bars. ...And look at my weight loss ticker.