Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

SURVEY! Serious participants only!

MeekMeals
MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
I am really curious as to who eats back all their exercise calories??? And if you do, do you see positive results. if you don't what are your results?

Thanks,
Tameka

Replies

• steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    I would say 95 percent of the time I eat back my exercise calories. I work out on purpose so I could eat more! I've been losing an average of 2-3 pounds a week since I joined 9 weeks ago. The other 5 percent of the time, I am just not hungry and also too tired to think about what to eat so I just go ahead to bed and sign off my food diary for the day.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    I dont eat them back
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Forgot to add that I eat back enough to net 1200. I do sometimes go very close to my allowed net calories (this usually happens on weekends). Starting on MFP, my allowed calroies were 1540 and now it's 1320. I think another 25 pounds is when my net will stop and stay at 1200 until I reach my goal.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    When I first started I made sure I did. Now I make sure I eat at least my base calories and then my own rule of thumb is to try and eat at least half of my work out calories. I consistantly lost two pounds a week when I started; lately I have had days without excercising at all but also not eating my excercise calories. I have not had the weight loss I had before. So I now am trying to make sure I get my excercising in and if I still am not losing; I will go back to eating all my excercise calories.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    I don't eat back all of my calories. I don't think I could eat that much. I definitely try to eat as much as I can though. I work out a ton and need the energy. I usually have an extra 300 or so that I don't eat back. Anything more than that though and I definitely notice the lack of energy I have.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    I do most of the time. I get as close to my net as I can.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    I don't, but my calories are not the ones MFP would come up with, but determined by another formula. I do eat back some of them, but rarely all. If I was using the MFP calories I would most certainly eat them back because their numbers are based on the assumption people are eating back calories.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    Since I usually exercise in the evenings I don't eat back all of my exercise calories since I would have to do a lot of eating late in the day.
  • jldeal
    jldeal Posts: 5 Member
    I do the elliptical at night after my kiddos go to bed and when I am done I usually sit down and enjoy some popcorn :) I have lost 48 lbs so far and haven't gone a week since I started without losing something. I personally think you need to eat something after you work out....whether it's an orange, apple, or popcorn. You burn off more than just calories when you work out and sometimes your body needs some extra nutrients when you are done.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    At this point, I do not eat them back. Not because I think it's a bad idea, but because I don't trust the calorie counts for exercise on here. I try to eat what I THINK is the accurate exercise calorie count, or at least some of it.

As I know most don't read profiles when evaluating posts: I took this same 40 pounds off 27 years ago and kept it off for over 20 years. I was very active in that time. When I was in maintenance all those years, I most certainly DID eat exercise calories back. At first, it was pretty natural. But then I started running A LOT. Half marathons. I thought I was doing OK, but I was losing weight and didn't see it. Other people pointed it out to me, but I didn't believe it because in my head, I will always be the 'fat chick'. But eventually, my running suffered. So I had to start consciously counting exercise calories and eating them so I could keep running at the same performance level. It really wasn't about weight at that point-I just wasn't functioning as well because I was unwittingly underfeeding myself while demanding a hell of a lot of performance.

I understand why it's frightening to eat them back, and I can also see where it makes a lot of sense as I've been in both places.
  • Jerri56
    Jerri56 Posts: 5
    you are supposed to eat them back or your body will go into "starvation mode" and store fat. Stay close to your goal calorie intake (1200 or whatever yours is) It is also good to OCCASIONALLY "binge" to kick start your metabolism. Just once in a while. But don't go overboard :)
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    I never eat back my burned cals. I may go over my original food goal but I don't do it purposely. I still manage to lose at least a pound a week!
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    I only eat about half of my exercise calories back and in 3 months i have lost 25 pounds :smile:
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. But I also have a lot of weight to lose and I set my goal to 1 lb a week, so I get a lot of cals already (1730). I try to make sure I net 1230 though because that's what it would have been had I selected the 2 lb a week loss. I'm having good results.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    i usually burn at LEAST 1000 a day. i try to stay under my 2000 cal intake for the day. so far, its working. depends on how much i exercise. its actually becoming hard to eat as much the better i eat bc the things i eat now are lower in cals.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    I think starvation mode is a myth unless you only eat like 500 cals a day for an entire month ....... if you have a few days you net under 1200 your not gonna shut down and stop losing :ohwell:
  • missyjmet
    missyjmet Posts: 46 Member
    yes, i do eat back my exercise calories. after my workouts, i'm starving. I usually eat good stuff (lots of protein and some carbs), if i don't the next days workout is horrible. i have no energy. I am not trying to lose much weight, between 3 and 5 pounds. I tend to look at my eating as how to fuel my next workout.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    I think starvation mode is a myth unless you only eat like 500 cals a day for an entire month ....... if you have a few days you net under 1200 your not gonna shut down and stop losing :ohwell:

I agree that starvation mode is not an immediate thing. I am usually under the recommended calories, I get close at times but do not usually eat back all my calories. I think if you do it 3-4 days a week though you will be in trouble. Plus we are here because we eat and do not expend enough calories so you must find your own balance.

Exercise and food calories are, at best, calculations and not absolute.
  • surv8r
    surv8r Posts: 40 Member
    I don't...

I have lost weight every week since I started (Feb 16, 2011).
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    Thanks!! I try to stay at my target cals of 1600! But sometimes I dont even hit that!