Ugh - What horrible timing for an injury!

Options
UpEarly
UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
I've been a regular exercise pretty much all my life - both when I've been thin and when I've been fat. It's one healthy habit I've always been proud of having, no matter how out of control my weight became. So, what did I do today - tore my calf muscle. It's a grade II tear, so I'm out of commission for 5-8 weeks. No walking, no circuit training, no long weekend hikes, no bike riding, and none of my exercise DVDs. I could swim, but I live in the middle of nowhere and have no access to an indoor pool.

What am I going to do!? I am so depressed tonight. :-(

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you hurt yourself and I have no suggestions for exercise other than resistance/strength for upper body. Can you see a physical therapist for ideas?

Get well soon :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    Oh - I'm so sorry! :cry:
    While you can't use your lower body - you can keep your upper body moving. Older folks (sorry) do chair exercises. :ohwell:
    Move your arms and use weights. I wonder if you can do some floor stuff and only use your good leg. Crunches? Maybe? I know how you feel - I've taken my knee out several times in the past and it really puts a halt to your program. Just keep trying different things that don't involve your injured leg.
    MUCH LUCK TO YOU!!!! :drinker:
  • phrs
    phrs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I have never torn a calf muscle, but I've been training for a half marathon for a year and have suffered two broken toes, two ankle sprains and tendinitis. I don't know if I'll be able to run the whole thing. I'm hoping to finish, even if I have to walk--25 days away now! So, take time to be very good to yourself right now, REST and Heal. Try to treat yourself to a favorite book, tv show or music once a day....Music helped me lift my spirits. I listen to my ipod and knit when I can't run. Good luck!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, injuries are no fun and do cramp the style. You can always work on upper body but rest the calf and leg so it will heal. Talk to a trainer they may have some simple suggestions that you can do without stressing the legs. You don't realize how much you depend on your legs until you can't use them for a while. Wishing you a quick recovery.
  • UpEarly
    Options
    Good news, folks! I was actually able to almost-painlessly ride my stationary bike on very low resistance for 45 minutes last night! I also did a bunch of crunches and push-ups from my knees. I had my calf reevaluated this morning, and the doctor actually thinks the injury is not as bad as he originally thought. I never got any of the swelling or pooled blood that are typically indicative of a Grade II tear. It still really hurts, but at least I won't be completely out of commission for 5-8 weeks!

So, YAY!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    oh no, how did you do it?
  • UpEarly
    Options
    oh no, how did you do it?

Oddly enough, it was just an awkward step in the office. The heel of my shoe got caught on some frayed carpet, and I stepped really strangely trying to un-catch my heel. I felt a hard POP in my calf and immediately couldn't put any weight on it. You'd think with all the hiking I do, I would have found a more impressive way to get injured. Say, perhaps running from a bear or climbing down a cliff to spot an undiscovered waterfall. But, no... just a freak incident in my office. :-)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    At least you can file a workmans' comp claim for that. Make sure you document it so all your expenses are covered now and in the future should you have any complications. I learned from experience on that....:ohwell:

The simplist things cause injury. Can't tell you how many stories I've heard like that! Feel better.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    ah, you need to try harder for a more exciting injury story next time ;)

get well soon x