On measuring foods...

Options
A friend of mine sent this to me. I thought I'd share it because I wasn't even aware of this:

http://avidityfitness.net/fat-loss-tips/

~Gael~

Replies

• gaelbrady
    gaelbrady Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine sent this to me. I thought I'd share it because I wasn't even aware of this:

http://avidityfitness.net/fat-loss-tips/

~Gael~
  • ambertimmons21
    ambertimmons21 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I know!!!!!! I watched it this morning and now I am going to be way more careful when measuring my food.:noway: :noway: :noway:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I was curious...did they account for the weight of the measuring instruments and containers?
  • gaelbrady
    gaelbrady Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If it's anyting like my mom's scale, you could reset it to include the container. Just zero it out and then add the food. THey didn't show if they did that or not, but I'm assuming they did.

~Gael~
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Okay I was just wondering when I watch it. Kept thinkin, "wouldn't that cup throw off the weight...." but if that's the case....makes more sense!
  • dachinababe
    Options
    awesome link...
    portion control is my problem
  • searls717
    Options
    We bought a food scale not to long ago and there is a HUGE difference in using the scale compared to measuring cups. The scale is ALWAYS less. If you don't have a food scale, order one! :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I only eat by food scale! EVERYTHING! Raisin Bran can be bent funny and fill a cup too fast. So I started weighing and WOW! I weigh! I weigh! Great info, thanks for sharing!
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    So on that note, what kinda food scale is best? lol
    Even thought I haven't had to much of a problem, but still. After watchin that I want to be SUPER safe! lol
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I have a cheepie $5 Weight Watchers scale from 1994ish? Whatever you get, it needs to be something you can easily reset to zero before using. Meaning, you first put your bowl, plate, napkin, whatever on the scale, set it back to zero, and then weigh your food.

Mine I have to rotate the base of it to move it to zero, but it works for me! I might treat myself to an electronic one touch soon though. I am noticing it is harder to get to 23 grams. I tend to round to 24-25ish...big deal? Probably not because I don't eat EVERY workout calorie. But the more accurate, the more successful this journey will be for me.

I am looking forward to good inexpensive suggestions on scales too!
  • CrystalBella
    Options
    That's goo to know Princess... so anybody have any suggestions. I'm cheap. lol
  • CrystalBella
    Options
    So now thanks to this video and thread I went out and bought a scale today.. and when I weighted my food, I noticed I was pretty accurate on most things but things I really like I was WAY off.. maybe on purpose but stills.. I got the Taylor Classic Digigital one... was only 25bucks has a glass top and does up to 8lbs plus it does grams. So I've been playing with it but I totally dig it.. I'm so stoked to use it for real.. I didn't eat anything I weighted on it though but it's good to have! Gosh the lil things we do need to stay on track. What an investment! :tongue:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I got a scale at Wally World a couple of years ago. It was like 5 or 6 bucks. It's not digital and it has a little square tub you put stuff in to weigh it. So you set it to 0 with the little tub on it and it stays zeroed out. I really like it and use it a lot. Thanks for the post - I'll remember to get it out to use for the beef in my taco salad tonight!!!
  • clairegl
    clairegl Posts: 82
    Options
    Wow, that is eye opening for sure. I bought a digital scale at Target, but I think it was kid of pricey. However, it converts to grams or ounces and can be reset as well. I'm sort of technolically challenged, so I will pay good money for a little hand holding!
    Thanks ladies.