Any nurses out there?

Options
Hi all! Looking for other nurses out there trying to loose weight. Looking for tips on eating healthy, even with a crazy day/night schedule. Any suggestions???:smile:

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    NP here but my schedule is beyond crazy :)
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    I'm a pre-med who works as a nurse's aid, does that count? :) Let's be freinds.
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi! Nurse with craaaaazy schedule here! And patients/families who show their love with food! lol
  • chelsealjames
    chelsealjames Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    in nursing school, so i have 12-hr clinicals, and also working 12-hr shifts as a tech. i am so hungry when i work! i guess because i'm burning so many cals running around the floor! i usually have to eat every 2 hours, especially to stay on top of my game :)
  • 87beckyRN
    87beckyRN Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm not a nurse yet but I'm in nursing school. Crazy schedule!!!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm 3rd shift full time in labor and delivery-with staff that like to have pot lucks and eat donuts!
  • nurse_kiki
    Options
    RN here, mother of 3, and starting anesthesia school in the Fall!!! Weight has always been a struggle for me, especially working nights and having a hectic schedule w/ my children's activities...i'd appreciate tips too!!
  • savvynurse
    savvynurse Posts: 292
    Options
    RN here.... work crazy schedule and two jobs have 2 kids at home and significant other as well. Lots of house cleaning and meal cooking in between the two jobs. Add me if you like
  • heathhumble
    heathhumble Posts: 178
    Options
    Hi, I'm a paramedic. I work in a Level II Trauma Center in Michigan. I work with numerous RN's who have joined MFP.I will pass on your user name.Welcome aboard. Feel free to add me as a friend.Best of luck.
  • BluePrincess80
    Options
    Patient Care Tech (CNA, Heart Monitor Tech,Secretary), going to school to be a Nurse, working three 12 hr shifts in ICU, and taking care of my 4 yr old in preschool and making time for my husband.
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    will be a nurse in 1 years and 2 months!! going to nursing school full time and working part-time on the ambulance as an EMT so I, too have a crazy schedule thats hard to keep up with!
  • alliej
    alliej Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    travel all day doing insurance exams, it is so hard. being in this field we are suppose to be fit ......so hard.
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    graduate nursing school in 4 weeks and 2 days (not that Im counting or anything LOL).... 3 kids and no time to think about what Im eating!
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm a registered nurse and work as a Nurse Case manager in Hospice (homecare) and am lucky enough to work days only, Monday through Friday. But, can work anywhere from 8 to 12 hours in one day and don't feel like I ever stop. I bring a lunch with me and eat out of my car. I was eating out every day and wondered why I was having problem with my weight. I understand all of you and what you are experiencing because I worked for 13 years in a critical care unit, 12 hour shifts night shifts and day shifts. This is where I gained most of my weight, between the stress of the job and not having a chance to stop working long enough to eat something healthy. And, when my nights and days got mixed up my metabolism seemed to get mixed up too.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    not a nurse but I work in an assited living home in an even worse predicament...im there chef so Ill help ya out
  • timeforachange2011
    Options
    i guess i should have said this earlier, but feel free to add me!!
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Rn here working full-time 12hr nights, school fulltime graduating in 4wks with BSN. Yes its hard with crazy schedules and my 2yr but we can do it. Feel free to friend me.
  • patty9013
    patty9013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm a MA. I sit all day and do phones calls. Have gained about 50 lbs in the 15 years I have been at my job. There is always someone bringing donuts, candy, high cal high fat lunches, someone making a Starbucks run.....it's hard but it is time for me now~~
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hi All... Paramedic/RN here.. Work a fairly decent schedule so I am one of the lucky ones. Working on a high protein/low carb program to jump start my metabolism. Been here and on the new life style since 01-01-11, and doing pretty good. Don't like plateau's though and I seem to hit one every couple of weeks.... SO....always changing things up...
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to welcome all you new nurses and nursing students. You may hear complaining from other nurses, but I consider nursing the greatest job in the world and can't think of anything I would rather do. Hang in there. By the way, check out allnurses.com. It is a community of nurses who love to educate each other, chat, complain and brag.