Stressed, very hungry...

Options
Hi guys,

Lately, I've been under immense stress and, as a result, have been feeling very hungry. I know that this is likely an emotional eating thing, and that I'm not actually hungry- but have just used food to calm me down in the past, so my body is calling its old stand-by. Regardless, I am feeling very hungry and have had a little devil on my should for a few days saying, "Just go over your calories for the day. It's ok." Any advice to keep the hungry feeling at bay?

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    air-popped, butterless, salt-less, popcorn.

carrots.

celery.

I can't not eat when I'm that way, so I get filler stuff to crunch on and make me think I'm gorging.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I feel that way sometimes too. I chew gum....and drink water. I try and eat only when I'm really hungry.

2639362.png
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    air-popped, butterless, salt-less, popcorn.

carrots.

celery.

I can't not eat when I'm that way, so I get filler stuff to crunch on and make me think I'm gorging.

Popcorn is my go to when I need a snack to make me feel like I'm being bad :) I eat Smart Pop Kettle Popcorn :)
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    You probably are eating more carbs than protein. Protein keeps you full, carbs don't... (they are necessary though, so don't cut them out completely).
    I'm a very anxious person and recently went off a medication that made me fat (zoloft). I'm very careful of eating more protein now (about 40%) and exercising and both help me with my anxiety...

See what happens if you change that.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have found that mild cardio exercise will curb my appetite. If I'm hungry at night and don't have enough calories left, I will exercise to gain some back, only to not be hungry after I'm done. :grumble:

This could also relieve some of your stress.
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water should help you feel fuller. Otherwise eat healthy snacks....nuts are a good choice b/c they are that "good fat" and they are filling.
    Hoping things get less stressful for you soon!
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    A Big class of water and some chewing gum. A good book or a nice long soak in the tub. Something to redirect my hunger into something else that soothes me.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have found that mild cardio exercise will curb my appetite. If I'm hungry at night and don't have enough calories left, I will exercise to gain some back, only to not be hungry after I'm done. :grumble:

This could also relieve some of your stress.

I'm the same. Also, I find if I snack on carbs (like popcorn), it just makes me hungrier!
  • muncharoo
    muncharoo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    fill yourself a big glass of water and what ever food you want. take a small bite of what your craving then do a gigantic gulp of water then repeat as necessary and before you know it you've just satisfied whatever you were craving and your super full. it feels like you've stuffed yourself with whatever you craved. I usually eat whatever I crave because no matter what I do it will always be on my mind until my mouth taste it lol. so that is the trick that works for me. good luck!!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I agree with mild cardio. In addition to redirecting your attention away from your hunger, you'll be releasing endorphins that will help you cope better with your stress. You'll feel good about yourself despite the stress you're feeling.

And, make sure you're getting enough carbs plus protein. Carbs are your energy, protein helps regulate the speed at which they metabolize. So, string cheese and whole wheat crackers, cottage cheese, fresh fruit, and walnuts, or yogurt with a serving of popcorn are great options.

Good luck! Whatever is happening in your life is not forever. Be kind to yourself.
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone!