I can't eat my "work out" calories back. Help please!!

Options
I have been going cardio and resistance weighs because I like to work out and the energy U get from it. My problem is I'm not hungry enough yo eat some or all of the deficit calories back. I just think it's too much food and I'm full all day long. I drink 4-6 liters of water daily. What can Ai do to start eating more and not kill my body?
I tried eating protein bars to help me some, but I'm having a hard time. Help please

Replies

• pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Almonds pack a lot of calorie punch for their size. But if you simply cannot stomach any more chewable food, what about a nice glass of milk or orange juice?
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    you body is telling you VERY CLEARLY that you are fine without those calories. As long as you are not eating less than 1200 calories a day, you are perfectly FINE not eating all that back.

(Imagine you body going into those awful fat reserves!! to get those calories you just burned!! )

Ps. This site adds up the calories in case someone is planning to eat very little. For overweight people, this system makes no sense as they have fat reserves. Do some research online and you'll see :)
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    honestly, i don't believe in eating all of your calories back. i don't agree with mfp on that. there are some days i burn almost 2,000 calories, i can't eat almost 2,000 calories back. you're entitled to eat more after working out, but you really don't have to eat ALL of it back. Try going for eating half back, perhaps that will be easier.
  • Girlypeekaboo
    Options
    you body is telling you VERY CLEARLY that you are fine without those calories. As long as you are not eating less than 1200 calories a day, you are perfectly FINE not eating all that back.

100% agree just stay in ur main calorie range
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    protein shake after your workouts - that's at least about 300 calories and it's a nice cool refreshing drink
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options

I agree. I don't buy into all of the hype. If you workout you definitely deserve an extra snack, something good and satisfying (and healthy ofcourse), but you should always listen to your body. I was always told by doctors and nutritionists that only athletes need to really worry about eating their calories back because they're burning such massive amounts. In the end though, you have to do what feels right. Listening to our bodies is always the best thing we can do.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I agree... there are days where I can't eat all of them back either! I just try to focus on getting at least 1200 NET calories by the end of the day!

Best of luck!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Eat as much as you can of healthy foods without feeling sick, try some of the calorie dense foods that were mentioned.

I also agree that if you are feeling fine (not tired or worn out) then what you're doing is good. Just do what your body tells you, as long as it doesn't tell you to eat a dozen doughnuts (this is usually what my body tells me to do) haha!

Try to space out your eating into 5-6 meals a day, this way you can eat more without feeling stuffed.
  • Azuleelan
    Options
    Eat as much as you can of healthy foods without feeling sick, try some of the calorie dense foods that were mentioned.

I also agree that if you are feeling fine (not tired or worn out) then what you're doing is good. Just do what your body tells you, as long as it doesn't tell you to eat a dozen doughnuts (this is usually what my body tells me to do) haha!

Try to space out your eating into 5-6 meals a day, this way you can eat more without feeling stuffed.

Yep, and keeps your metabolism up up up!

BTW, did you know we crave ahem... donuts because the body doesn't have to do any effort getting calories from them? We have lazy bodies!
  • xoxo2200
    xoxo2200 Posts: 57
    Options
    Thank you for your help. I do eat 3 big meals and 3 snacks throughout the day. I burned over 900 calories today and I feel great. I think my old athletic self is comingnack to life after that "yucky" car accident that messed up my back :(
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Planning is key. If you know you'll be working out, work those cals in throughout the day. Increase each meal/snack by just 25-50 cals. Also, use some things high in good fats. Natural oils (olive/canola), nuts, avocados are all good things to increase cals with little volume.

One of the most important aspects of MFP is that it helps you retrain your body and your mind to recognize healthy eating habits. This includes eating healthy foods and a healthy AMOUNT of food. If you are here, you likely have bad eating habits. Bad eating habits are not simply eating too much. Skipping meals, eating too little, eating irregularly, and eating the wrong ratio of macros (protein/fat/carb) are all habits that will contribute to an unhealthy weight.

MFP is a tool to help your body and mind to recognize how much you should be eating, how often, and what kinds of food. In the beginning, you may feel starving. Or you may not feel hungry at all. You should not necessarily trust either of these feelings. If you have abused your body, it has adapted to your bad habits and no longer gives you cues for a healthy intake. Aim for your daily cal goal, and give your body time to adjust to these changes. It may take days or weeks for your body to adapt to a healthy intake of healthy food. You didn’t learn your bad habits overnight, and you won’t fix them overnight.

It's easy to understand that you shouldn't listen to your body when it tells you to eat too much - it can be just as foolish to listen when it tells you to eat too little. Keep working at it and you'll adjust. :wink:
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I throw together a cup of unsweetened almond milk (35 calories), 2 tbsp of peanut butter (200 calories) and 1 scoop of my protein powder (120 calories) for a really delicious, 355 calorie shake. It really helps me to get in the calories I need without resorting to junk food. This is pretty much the only way I've found to enjoy protein drinks.
  • Azuleelan
    Options
    Planning is key. If you know you'll be working out, work those cals in throughout the day. Increase each meal/snack by just 25-50 cals. Also, use some things high in good fats. Natural oils (olive/canola), nuts, avocados are all good things to increase cals with little volume.

One of the most important aspects of MFP is that it helps you retrain your body and your mind to recognize healthy eating habits. This includes eating healthy foods and a healthy AMOUNT of food. If you are here, you likely have bad eating habits. Bad eating habits are not simply eating too much. Skipping meals, eating too little, eating irregularly, and eating the wrong ratio of macros (protein/fat/carb) are all habits that will contribute to an unhealthy weight.

MFP is a tool to help your body and mind to recognize how much you should be eating, how often, and what kinds of food. In the beginning, you may feel starving. Or you may not feel hungry at all. You should not necessarily trust either of these feelings. If you have abused your body, it has adapted to your bad habits and no longer gives you cues for a healthy intake. Aim for your daily cal goal, and give your body time to adjust to these changes. It may take days or weeks for your body to adapt to a healthy intake of healthy food. You didn’t learn your bad habits overnight, and you won’t fix them overnight.

It's easy to understand that you shouldn't listen to your body when it tells you to eat too much - it can be just as foolish to listen when it tells you to eat too little. Keep working at it and you'll adjust. :wink:

Yeah, what's funny is that MFP has a bad ratio of macros for starters, so how do you trust that when you know better?
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I discovered that I need to exercise before dinner, otherwise my blood sugar drops like a rock. I am going to start doing whey protein shakes with my almond milk to kick up some calories of healthy goodness!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

Yeah, what's funny is that MFP has a bad ratio of macros for starters, so how do you trust that when you know better?

You may prefer a certain ratio of macros - and you have the ability to customize that. Ideal macro ratios are dependent on many things, including a person's lifestyle, food preferences, activity levels and exercise levels. MFP uses a default ratio that is generalized for most people and recommended by health organizations as safe for most people to avoid kidney and liver issues. Some people may need or prefer different ratios - but there is no medical consensus on the "right" ratios. There is, however, medical consensus on the body's limited ability to compensate for large caloric deficits and the risks and effects of such a deficit. MFP cannot be all things to all people. But it promotes a healthy, realistic weight loss that works for the majority.
  • dervilla
    dervilla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I never really eat my burned calories and it doesnt seem to be affecting my weight loss at all, some days I have over 1000 calories left and mfp tells me im eating too few calories but when i burn 500-700 calories there's no way I can eat it back
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking 4-6 liters of water a day, then no wonder you have no appetite. That's 24 8oz glasses of water a day (!), which is not healthy. Cut that in half and you'll find your appetite.