Lower sugar tips?

Options
MaryD4900
MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
I always always go over on my sugar... today it was by over 60 grams! I eat a decent amount of fruit, but I'm more concerned with my yougurt, cereal, and granola. I've tried getting plain yogurt and sweetening it with honey, but it just wasn't as good... I don't eat much meat (I stick to poultry and fish, but even then I just don't really enjoy eating a lot of meat) so I'm struggling with finding a balance...

Does anyone have suggestions for granola bars/ cereal and yogurts lower in sugar? And cheap- I'm a poor college student

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    honey is actually considered an added sugar, just a heads up

best thing to do if you want to be under on sugar. is cut the things packed with it out. Instead of granola eat dry Quaker oats thats what i do :]
  • sophiessweets
    Options
    Unfortunately granola is typically high in sugar. Try using a sprinkle of granola on top of yogurt instead of eating it as a meal in itself. My go to cereal is Kashi Go Lean. It's high in protein yet low in sugar. Really tasty too!
  • agathaann
    Options
    i eat a organic " HOney Boy " granola in the morning.. with a little bit of honey on it. i is very filling. Maybe a low fat yogurt. some have a alot of sugers.. do you use sauces on your meat.. bbq sause ect . tones of suger in thoughs... good luck though
  • totalimageguy
    totalimageguy Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Fage greek yogurt and Uncle Sam cereal are both really low in sugar
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    Sugars in this site are very low because they are using the maximum allowable for ADDED sugars which is around 25 grams. The rest of the sugars naturally occuring in food are NOT harmful at all. Just go into the settings and raise your sugar intake, plus control that it is only 25 gram a day ADDED sugar.

Honey is not an added sugar. Added means not naturally occurring.
  • Adudynski
    Adudynski Posts: 31
    Options
    I eat 1 cup of dannon light and fit vanilla with about 1/4 cup of special k low fat granola mixed in
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @Azuleelan - in line with my thoughts. I am "always" over on sugar. Is it doing you and harm - as in are you still losing or meeting whatever goals you have on a fairly consistent basis. Me, as said I'm always over, but it doesn't appear to be doing me any harm at all. "If" or when I stall for an extended period (say 3+ weeks or something) I might reconsider but til then - meh
  • vmt90509
    vmt90509 Posts: 9
    Options
    Alot of people think granola is a "healthy" food. HOWEVER, MOST granolas are LOADED with sugars and additives that really rack up the calories. For quick snacks try the snickers Marathon Nutrition bars, good protein and a good chew/crunch. Lost of times its that texture that we crave. if you can find something that can satisfy that crave stick with it. Oatmeal is a GREAT cereal =) The Kashi Go Lean is my go to cereal.....not the crunch (way high in carbs and sugars) but the go lean. It is Yummy!
  • iron2w
    iron2w Posts: 5
    Options
    Try "Ann's House Soy Energy Blend"