Excersize Phobia - Insanity

Options
Ive been working out to an exercise program called Insanity. It has been one week, and I am surprised I have lasted this long. I want to continue, the only issue I'm having is a reactive fear. Every time I think of Insanity I get a gut wrenching feeling, and become turned off from the idea of exercise. Now I feel like I'm forcing myself to work out, and I know if I continue to "force" exercise onto myself, the results will turn in me quitting. Insanity huuuuurts......a lot. Sometimes i feel like throwing up and at others, I nearly pass out. I hate it in the beginning and sometimes want to cry during the work out. However, in the end, I love the after burn my body feels when done, so I still want to continue. What can I do to motivate myself?

Replies

• luvamig
    luvamig Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    step it down a notch. Is it a tape? Don't push yourself too hard otherwise you will either hurt yourself, or turn yourself off to the idea. (Or both)

Make it a general goal to get through the work out without pain. Slowly leading up to that point.

Keep moving, even if you take "off days" from the workout, just get outside and walk for a while, that way you can loosen up and your muscles can stretch a bit. It will make the workout hurt less after a while.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Try to slow it down and be easier on yourself. The progress will slow down too, if you don't go full into it, but it's better than quitting. Nobody expects you to be perfect right from the start. Things will get easier, once your body gets used to the moves. The beginning is always the hardest part.
    If it doesn't get better, find a different workout. Something you really like. Workouts are supposed to be fun. If you don't like doing it, you won't stick with the program for long. Maybe Insanity isn't for you, but you can find something else that gives you a good burn and makes you feel good even while doing it.
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I tried Insanity once, and pulled my back calf muscles in both legs! It is an EXTREME workout, try to find other beachbody programs like Power90 or a little bit higher P90X, both are great workouts but not as intense as Insanity. You need to listen to your body, feeling like you need to puke or pass out is a sign that your heart rate is up too high or that you're not getting enough oxygen to your brain. Take it easy... modify or find a less-intense program.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    why did you get it in the first place? something called insanity will be just that!...you dont need all that to get fit or lose weight hit the weights you'll benefit better and work less...
  • gertrude13
    Options
    oohhh is this the 60 day program of shawnty? hahaha i've seen this in TV and that work out is no joke and i'm in awe that you made it to one week :D

but if you don't enjoy it, change your routine :) i'm doing hiphop abs because i enjoy the "swag" haha if you're athletic do sports or something haha just make sure you enjoy it enough so that it can be part of your new lifestyle :D
  • ltaylore
    ltaylore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just finished insanity. It is a lot to deal with in the first few weeks. My calf muscles were so sore I could barely walk. However, it got better. Just do as much as you can do but don't push too hard. You will find that each week your endurance will increase and you'll get better and better at it. It is a good program if you stick with it.
  • ShaunamsMar
    Options
    I am a very active person, I've run 2 half marathons (in under 2 hours) , 7 sprint triathlons, and I'm currently training for a full marathon w/a goal of under 4 hours.. I've done Insanity a bunch of times, it is NO EASY WORKOUT. That **** is bananas yo is right. If you are having this kind of fear, and making exercise more work than fun, then it's not the right program for you. I would try something more fun like Turbo Fire. If you want somthing equally as hard as Insanity but ( I think) but more fun, Bob Harper's Kettle bell schred and his cardio schred (Bob Harper from Biggest loser). Just my two cents. Don't beat yourself up about feeling fear of insanity, it's not an easy work out and I don't think it's very fun personally. And i've done every work out in the book , P90x, slim in 6, Billy Blanks boot camp, spin class, running, yoga, etc.
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    if you are just starting...insanity isn't a newb kinda thing. I mean if your mind is ready for it which means you gotta be prepared for the pain and the push of the work out. It is called insanity for a reason...same goes with P90x and from the looks of it ChaLean extreme...you gotta be mentally prepared or you will quit or hurt yourself.

Umm i started with walking dvds and now can get through the first level of 30 day shred...I plan on starting insanity once I can get through level 3 of 30 day shred lol

You are smaller then I am mind you...but most times that doesn't tend to matter...fitness level and frame of mind is what matters. If you want this and love the feeling of accomplishment after finishing a work out with Insanity...then that is what you need to focus. because Insanity isn't meant to get easier...it's meant to keep you pushing every time you do it to do better then the last. So take the good with the bad...as you need to do with most things and perhaps research other work out programs if you are to intimidated by Insanity. There's no shame in it and building yourself up to be able to do it with out crying...(I don't know about getting sick, lots of ppl get sick with high intensity work outs especially if it's their first time.)

I think you'll be fine no matter what you pick, just gotta get past this and know you are doing something that alot of people struggle with, but in the end the sense of accomplishment and results are great for you and help to keep you going.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Try to find something less crazy. I found I hurt myself doing JM 30DS and had to stop because I listened to my body. If I would have continued I would have hurt myself more. Listen to your body's reaction to the video. If you can't/don't want to do it then get another video or just go for a walk! Get moving in a different way. You don't have to do that video to get the same burn...tons of other workouts that will give you the same or more.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Insanity isn't for everyone. You have to be absolutely sure you wanna do it. If you ARE going to do it, you don't have to do it as fast as they do, but keeping your form is important, as it prevents injury and helps work the correct muscles. There are people that have asked me if it's worth it, and to me it is, but the dedicated effort has to be there, along with your fitness level.

If it's something you don't see yourself being able to continue doing, then I would recommend you find something that you can do that's more suited to your level. Whatever your decision, make sure it's something that doesn't hinder your progress.