Other Cyclists

Options
trio25
trio25 Posts: 34 Member
Hey there,

I've been using the app on my phone for a while and just discovering the boards etc on the internet version. I'm a keen cyclist, commuting to work, doing longer road rides at the weekend and mountain biking as well. I'm training for a couple of endurance mountain bike races this summer and my main motivation to lose the extra weight is so I can get up hills faster, I am so slow. It's hard as I like eating.

So where are all the other cyclists, I bet there are loads of us on here.

Replies

• scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm not really a road cyclist, but love some mountain biking. I live in the foothills of the Alps so I'm planning some serious mountain biking treks this summer up in the mountains.
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    And me! Don't get to do much biking but commute to work, I actually put weight on when I started cycling to work last year :blushing: think I was slightly generous with my calories earnt! Just checked out your blog don't think we're too far from one another.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    hi, i only cycle for fun with my 6 yr old and we do about 3 miles twice a week off road:smile:
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    you know me! not a dedicated cyclist but can hold my own ;)

ive been trying to get my husband to join up - he is more of a serious mountainbiker and has just completed a 100km event, with another one coming up shortly!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I like distance road riding. Haven't done huge distances recently but am looking to get back into doing a bit more on the road. :flowerforyou:

Sold my MTB last year as wasn't using it that much but ironically miss it now...
  • emyback68
    emyback68 Posts: 89
    Options
    My husband and I both got into road biking about 2 years ago. I love it. Going for a 15 mile ride this morning, the weather should be great. I really miss riding during the winter (and even though I still exercise, the pounds creep back on). Right now I feel really slow too, but I have only had about 3 rides so far this season, so there is plenty of time for improvement!
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm in! My husband and I bought road bikes about a month ago, and we are having a blast riding on Saturdays and Sundays. We ride a minimum of 8 miles each ride, and on Saturday we made it more than 12 miles! We're having fun and trying to increase our fitness, also eating healthier. Love it!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I love cycling! Over the years (I'm 58) I have vacillated between mountain biking and road biking. I love them both, but I'm currently in a road biking phase. This is an addition to trail running and doing P90X. Noncyclists just don’t understand the thrill of a good ride and the pleasure it brings afterwards. I have introduced many people to cycling; some go out and buy a bike after their first ride and for others it seems to confirm their belief that I am crazy. Too bad that one must acquire a fitness base and skill set to really appreciate it fully. Too many people drop out before tasting the exhilaration that biking offers. OH well, glad that there is a group of us here. Ride on!
  • johnwhitent
    Options
    you know me! not a dedicated cyclist but can hold my own ;)

ive been trying to get my husband to join up - he is more of a serious mountainbiker and has just completed a 100km event, with another one coming up shortly!

I got into road biking when I got some buddies of mine to go mountain biking with me. They were all roadies. On the fast sections they kicked my tail with their cardiovascular fitness though I could pass them in the technical stuff. After that ride I went out and bought a road bike and they went out and bought mountain bikes! Win - win! Tell your husband he will be a better mountain biker if he adds road biking. Plus all guys like new toys.
  • TheIncredibleShrinkingDan
    Options
    I'm an avid mountain biker training not for an endurance race per se but for a long multi-day ride from Durango to Moab in September. Though it is not a race I'm training like it is with a structured plan, diet, etc. The guys I'm going with are strong and I want to be able to hang with the pack--you know how it is.
  • badblood
    badblood Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering mountain biker. Had to sell my Yeti last year due to lack of use thanks to kidney failure, now I have a shiny new kidney and am in the process of trying to save for a new bike. Am putting in gentle miles on a hard tail to build myself up. Feel free to add me. You can't half get some good calories back which is just as well as my steroid tablets make me want to eat constantly!
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid mountain biker training not for an endurance race per se but for a long multi-day ride from Durango to Moab in September. Though it is not a race I'm training like it is with a structured plan, diet, etc. The guys I'm going with are strong and I want to be able to hang with the pack--you know how it is.

I love multi-day stuff. Will you be carrying your kit? I do a three day thing in Wales each year, bivvying out two nights it is so much fun!
  • johnwhitent
    Options
    I am a recovering mountain biker. Had to sell my Yeti last year due to lack of use thanks to kidney failure, now I have a shiny new kidney and am in the process of trying to save for a new bike. Am putting in gentle miles on a hard tail to build myself up. Feel free to add me. You can't half get some good calories back which is just as well as my steroid tablets make me want to eat constantly!

Oh man, you sold a Yeti? That’s got to hurt. In the process of a divorce I sold my Ritchey twenty years ago and still feel the pain - losing the bike I mean.
    (Easy everyone. I'm not really a chauvinist pig - just having a little fun. My ex was/is one fine lady)
  • badblood
    badblood Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Oh man, you sold a Yeti? That’s got to hurt. In the process of a divorce I sold my Ritchey twenty years ago and still feel the pain - losing the bike I mean.
    (Easy everyone. I'm not really a chauvinist pig - just having a little fun. My ex was/is one fine lady)

I am afraid so, a lovely 575 (see my ticker at the bottom of my posts)
  • rockster01
    Options
    Another cyclist here carrying too much dead wood and trying to lose weight/get fitter for a couple of sportives i've entered this year.
    Hadn't been able to stick to any kind of diet for years till i was invited to join this site,which is the best thing thats happened to me diet wise for years.
    Its not until you actually take stock of how much you are eating,that you realise you have to cut down.Its also given me more focus on my cycling,wanting to do longer rides to burn cals.
    Keep it up and try to get out and ride as much as possible.
    Options
    I ride a 575 myself. I love it! Unfortunately, I managed to break the frame in Moab two weeks ago and it is at Yeti now getting warrantied. Good news is I get a new frame. Bad news is that I'm on my old entry level hard tail for a few weeks, which wouldn't be so bad if I didn't now what I was missing (as I'm sure you can relate)!
    Options
    I love multi-day stuff. Will you be carrying your kit? I do a three day thing in Wales each year, bivvying out two nights it is so much fun!

We'll be carrying some gear. While the ride itself should be pretty intense due to the elevation profile of the rockies (and the fact that I live about 10k feet lower) the camping/bivvying aspect it is only "half camping." There are primitive huts at the end of every day stocked with dry goods. We won't have to carry food or tents (except for emergencies) but will have to carry clothes, bike tools/parts, etc. I've done a lot of backpacking so am open to roughing it a little more but this is my first "bikepacking" trip so it is just as well. I figure I'm going to learn a lot about what to take and distributing the weight on the bike. I'm still sorting out my kit and how to carry it all but we've got to prepare for weather extremes (i.e., snow at high elevation and desert at low) so I have a feeling clothing alone will be plenty of stuff.
  • johnwhitent
    Options

We'll be carrying some gear. While the ride itself should be pretty intense due to the elevation profile of the rockies (and the fact that I live about 10k feet lower) the camping/bivvying aspect it is only "half camping." There are primitive huts at the end of every day stocked with dry goods. We won't have to carry food or tents (except for emergencies) but will have to carry clothes, bike tools/parts, etc. I've done a lot of backpacking so am open to roughing it a little more but this is my first "bikepacking" trip so it is just as well. I figure I'm going to learn a lot about what to take and distributing the weight on the bike. I'm still sorting out my kit and how to carry it all but we've got to prepare for weather extremes (i.e., snow at high elevation and desert at low) so I have a feeling clothing alone will be plenty of stuff.

You are going on my dream trip! And you will have your Yeti back long before then. I have been on camping/biking trips like to Tsali in NC where the tent was our hub for accessing various trails, but hut to hut is sweet.
    Options
    You are going on my dream trip! And you will have your Yeti back long before then. I have been on camping/biking trips like to Tsali in NC where the tent was our hub for accessing various trails, but hut to hut is sweet.

It's my dream trip too! I'm really psyched!
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My poor bikes started crying when I got them out of the shed and tuned them up this year. I think they were tears of joy, because we missed each other so much after 2-3 yrs of neglect...

Nothing beats the time in the saddle, whether roadie or off-road (can't call it Mtn Biking here in flat Florida...hehe)