Embarrassing question...

Options
So I am in my 3rd week of C25k and im wondering... what and the heck do you do for chafing aka "Chub rub" LMFAO... like seriously... I can not wait until my thighs stop touching so i dont have to worry about this crap....

I have compression shorts.... and it works well... but it makes my shorts slide down... one of my friends suggested vasaline... but that would leave oil stains.

so... ideas?

Replies

• joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Baby powder or corn starch..
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Gold bond powder also an option. I find that I have to wear shorts or pants that are fitting, the fabric really isn't the issue, it's just that if I can feel the skin on my thighs touching I will get the dreaded "chub rub", if I can't feel it touching, I'm typically safe.
  • samantharae121205
    Options
    yuppyupp
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    I agree with the baby powder!! Or you could try one of those friction creams like 3B or something?
  • kelley4123
    kelley4123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
  • samantharae121205
    Options
    yuppyupp

&;; if your cheap like me, lol. flour.
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I wear a pair of long under armour shorts under my clothes when I work out, and use baby powder for the rest of the time.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Running shops sell an anti-chafe product called "Body Glide". You might give it a try. It's packaged and applied like a stick of underarm deodorant.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Try what everyone else said for before and during....if you already have a rash there which you probably do. When I was doing century rides on a regular basis I would get this. I would use desitin afterwards...yes used for diaper rash. Works awesome!!

Just a thought
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you... I just giggled at "chub rub", never heard of that before. And the sad part is that many of us can identify with the problem! Also a thought.... my husband became a long distance runner while on his journey to being healthy and he invested in the small round bandaids... for nipple rub! (He finished a race and his shirt was had streaks of blood on it!) Good thing us girls wear bras! Maybe the "manzier" had merit!

Have fun!
  • mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you... I just giggled at "chub rub", never heard of that before. And the sad part is that many of us can identify with the problem! Also a thought.... my husband became a long distance runner while on his journey to being healthy and he invested in the small round bandaids... for nipple rub! (He finished a race and his shirt was had streaks of blood on it!) Good thing us girls wear bras! Maybe the "manzier" had merit!

Have fun!

Nipple rub??? ive never had that happen... and i have mine pierced... only time i have bloody nips is when it gets snagged like on my towl or seat belt...

But yes i find it odd ive been a member of MFP for month and havent read anything on chafing... well hope this helps more then me... im going to Acadamey tomorrow to by that bodyglide stuff.
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    lol that's cuz no one wants to be the one to bring up the chub rub or the fat vaginas or discolorations in that area due to the chub rub lol no one wants to bring up back fat that makes you look like you have a hump or anything embarassing like that.

but we're all thinking it .... and curiously wondering... it eats away at all of us..

we all have a question we're too afraid to ask

lol its funny as hell huh?

anywho.. my suggestion would be to FIRST find a good soap. I use zum bar soaps you can find them at whole foods and online but its made with goats milk and keeps everything super soft and the ph levels are very good for our skin. then maybe a good lotion like alveeno naturals positively nourishing i like the vanilla chamomile ... and its not a sticky or thick lotion so it feels cool and nice and not out of place. It helps before or after really because sometimes... it gets red and hurts especially on hot days so it helps make it feel better. Jergens is good too but it can be really thick i use it as a moisturizer for my face the ultra one bc i live in vegas and its disgusting here.

you could try deodorant but... that might cause other problems bc it gets really into your pores. :embarassed:
  • Zinzie182
    Options
    Running shops sell an anti-chafe product called "Body Glide". You might give it a try. It's packaged and applied like a stick of underarm deodorant.

Another vote for BodyGlide! I run long distances, and I use it everywhere- crotch region, feet (prevents blisters) and around the sports bra straps. You can find it at most running or sports stores, and a stick lasts forever!
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Body Glide for sure! All the other option stain and can ruin your clothes.

I put the BG on the obvious areas, but sometimes after a long run, I find new places that chaffed via the shower! Ouch!!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I remember that problem all to well. I always made sure I wore long, tight fitting boxers.
  • debdene
    debdene Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ive just ordered some bodyglide, didnt have a stockist near me acording to website so ordered online £4.99 inc p&p (UK)
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Cornstarch or gold bond works. My son gets this when he plays football. Desitin works on the damage already done and the powder will keep it from happening again.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Body Glide is awesome stuff!

My nipples never chafe when I use it. (LMAO - never thought I would be talking about my nipples in public.)

Others I have heard of is Zincofax, and Penetin
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Well, Michael, dear, once your thighs stop touching you will likely run long enough for your waist band to chaffe or your arm band holding your ipod or even your socks. It's a running thing, not a chubby thing. :)

Invest in the body glide. Every time I run long without it I come back missing a patch of skin.
  • jewels319
    jewels319 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    lol that's cuz no one wants to be the one to bring up the chub rub or the fat vaginas or discolorations in that area due to the chub rub lol no one wants to bring up back fat that makes you look like you have a hump or anything embarassing like that.

but we're all thinking it .... and curiously wondering... it eats away at all of us..

we all have a question we're too afraid to ask

lol its funny as hell huh?

anywho.. my suggestion would be to FIRST find a good soap. I use zum bar soaps you can find them at whole foods and online but its made with goats milk and keeps everything super soft and the ph levels are very good for our skin. then maybe a good lotion like alveeno naturals positively nourishing i like the vanilla chamomile ... and its not a sticky or thick lotion so it feels cool and nice and not out of place. It helps before or after really because sometimes... it gets red and hurts especially on hot days so it helps make it feel better. Jergens is good too but it can be really thick i use it as a moisturizer for my face the ultra one bc i live in vegas and its disgusting here.

you could try deodorant but... that might cause other problems bc it gets really into your pores. :embarassed:

With all that being said.......unless you have ever been overweight...people dont realize how u can get a rash just from walking normally.....the creases in your joints get inflammed....cracks get rubbed raw if the temp goes up. Although labeled as a feminine product from the makers of monistat (yes folks...yeast infection medication makers) Soothing Care medicated powder is a fantastic product for rubbing, chaffing and redness. The reason for my purchase...temp went up last summer....and no matter what I did I had redness and chaffing in creases.....so I looked for a really fine powder....and thats what I bought......its micro-fine powder...works for alot of stuff....excess sweating....even under the breast area.....yep...I tried it. Helps to keep a lil cooler in the summer too.

Hope everyone eventually stops having the chub rub...I myself cannot wait till its gone.