Abnormal TOM - tell me I'm not alone??

Options
A shout to all you gals out there...
My tom is always whacky. Nothing makes it normal, not even birth control. And besides I'm not on birth control because me and my husband are trying to conceive. Anyways, at the moment I'm 9 days late, not pregnant, and sick of the increasing hormones!!! This happens to me about 3 times a year, that it will be this late, and for each day that its late my pms symptoms get worse and worse. It messes with my diet and exercise routine badly because I'm craving junk food so bad, I'm crabby and have no willpower, and I have no energy so of course laying around eating is more exciting than jumping around working out in my living room.

Just wondering if anyone else has these same problems and how you deal with them?? Any safe supplements that help stabilize the pms thing?? Even just knowing someone might be feeling the same way would be nice :)

Replies

• kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I get terrible symptoms too. What have have found, and what my husband has told me, is that the more I exercise (quality and quantity) it tends to help manage those symptoms. That was what got me back into running because I couldn't stand to be around myself it was so bad.

When you feel symptoms like that, that's when you need to get up and just exercise the most. Of course you don't feel like it, but afterwards it's lifesaving!
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    My doctor told me years ago that loading up on B vitamins the week before may help with the PMS symptoms. Worth a try?:ohwell:
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Read up on PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome) some of those symptoms sound like PCOS. Usually for me the birth control did the trick as far as regulating TOM, but when you are TTC you dont want to take birth control.
    Good Luck!!
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Have you tried talking to your doctor regarding the matter? A supplement of Calcium will help reduce cramps, water retention and back pain. Diuretics (Lasix) can help with bloating, anti-depressants can help stabilize your mood... Just a thought. I would talk to your doctor about your periods - esp. if you are trying to conceive.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The last 2 months I have been late (I have an IUD) But starting 2 days before I should have started, I am bloated, emotional and craving junk BAD. So instead of just 2 days of this, I now get almost 2 weeks of it. It REALLY sucks! I am not sure why this is happening. I don't have a 'fix' for it yet but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!!
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Be careful with vitamin B6, as you can have some terrible side effects if more than RDA is consumed.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    YEP! Once every 2-3 months this happens to me. It seems like a cycle... one month I'm just a garbage disposal eating everything in sight, the next month I'm an emotional wreck crying and screaming about everything, and then the next month I have cramps that put me in bed for at least 24 hours. On top of that, it's very irregular.

I've noticed that the healthier I eat, the more regular it's become. I've been working out and eating better since January of this year and my little flow predicter on my phone is getting more and more accurate. For cramps I take potassium supps and use my heating pad. SOMETIMES that works. Otherwise, and you'll hate me for saying this, but stretch, do yoga, or go for a job. It gets all those endorphines flowing and the pain WILL subside.

Good luck!!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm always late a couple times a year, and have tons of PMS symptoms.

not srs
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    The first thing that came to mind when you said you were trying to conceive was, do you know the sign of fertility? When we ovulate we secrete a fertile mucous that is slicker than any other time of your cycle. It occurs two weeks before your expected period. Since you never know when yours is going to be, look for the mucous and that will tell you when you are fertile.

Also keep your man out of the hot tub. Hot tubs are no good for the swimmers!

Natural Family Planning is known for birth control by teaching when to abstain. The great thing about it is, when you know when to abstain you know when you are fertile. Google Natural Family Planning for more detailed info.

About PMS, I have it too. The only thing that helps me is to give up caffeine. That helps a lot to get rid of breast tenderness.
  • CristineD
    CristineD Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've heard that taking Evening Primose Oil once a day can help to regulate and stabilise us. A very close friend of mine has been taking it and she swears by it. I'm only on a supplement for breastfeeding at the moment but once I stop that I'm going to give it go too.
    I'm very similar, week before I couldn't exercise due to a lack of energy and being generally grumpy and the day before my TOM my mood dipped so low and all I wanted was chocolate BUT I did some exercise that night (even though I didn't want to) and I found I pushed myself harder than I have in weeks. I've never been regular (took 3 years to conceive my daughter and 6 months for my son) and nothing has helped to regulate me without having horrid side affects.
  • hiltonheadagain
    Options
    I don't personally struggle with this, but have friends that do. One thing that's been talked about between them is progesterone cream to help stabilize hormones. It might be worth talking to your doctor about. And since "In abundance of counselors there is victory" Prov. 24:6, you might also want to start asking around about holistic practitioners in your area. If you have a Whole Foods near you, that might be a place to inquire. Hope you find the relief/help you are looking for.