A question about the shred

Options
Okay, so, before I started the 30 day shred, I had been bouncing around between 128-129 lbs.
The day after I started, I went up to 130 and havent been down since. It's only been 4 days, but what the heck is happening?

Replies

• petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Someone told me when you start a new work out routine, your body retains water to protect you so it is normal for your weight to go up in the beginning but you will start losing in a week or so.

can someone else verify this?!
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    You're probably building muscle. Or retaining water. Either way, drink lots and lots of water today (try for 64 ounces, or 1 gallon) to flush out your system.
  • bakersduzin
    bakersduzin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Someone told me when you start a new work out routine, your body retains water to protect you so it is normal for your weight to go up in the beginning but you will start losing in a week or so.

can someone else verify this?!

I've heard this too. Something about the "shock" to your muscles when starting a new workout routine can cause you to retain water. I've had it happen to me, so I wouldn't worry too much...be sure to drink lots of water.
  • Chrissle
    Chrissle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Other than that, how do you like the program? I'm starting it 04/18 and can't wait!:smile:
  • HeyBulldog2011
    HeyBulldog2011 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with Petithamu. I started the shred 20 days ago and in the second week I started losing weight. I lost 3 lbs in a week. During the first set of 10 days I lost quite a few inches but no weight. 2 set of 10 days I lost 3 lbs and not quite so many inches. so it seems to be normal.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You're probably building muscle. Or retaining water. Either way, drink lots and lots of water today (try for 64 ounces, or 1 gallon) to flush out your system.

I don't want to be nitpicky, but you might hurt yourself if you drink a whole gallon of water in 1 day. 64 ounces is "only" a half gallon. Think of it like drinking a 2 Liter bottle of water. :)

P.P.S. You're probably doing a combination of retaining water and gaining muscle. It'll take 1-2 weeks for you to start seeing weight loss on the scale. In the mean time, take your measurements (as many as you want: chest, hip, waist, thigh, forearm, neck, calf etc). You may lose "inches" before you lose actual weight. I lost 1" in my waist and went from 40% body fat to 38% (measured on a scale so not so accurate except to tell that you've changed) and I've been doing cardio/strength for 2 weeks but I haven't seen a whole lot of weight loss yet from it.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Okay, I sure hope it's water weight! I don't want to get discouraged! lol
    I'll just have to stick with it, and hope for the best. I've been eating within my calorie range 1300 -1400 without counting exercise.

@ Chrissle: From what I can tell, it's just a circuit training video 20-25 minutes long that you do every day for 30 days. It changes up every 10 days to kick it up a notch so you keep on burning!

--LOL, I re read what you posted.
    I like it. I am a little sore, but doing it everyday stretches out my muscles so I'm not so stiff. Mainly, my ribs, butt and thighs are sore. I love it. :D
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options

I don't want to be nitpicky, but you might hurt yourself if you drink a whole gallon of water in 1 day. 64 ounces is "only" a half gallon. Think of it like drinking a 2 Liter bottle of water. :)

P.P.S. You're probably doing a combination of retaining water and gaining muscle. It'll take 1-2 weeks for you to start seeing weight loss on the scale. In the mean time, take your measurements (as many as you want: chest, hip, waist, thigh, forearm, neck, calf etc). You may lose "inches" before you lose actual weight. I lost 1" in my waist and went from 40% body fat to 38% (measured on a scale so not so accurate except to tell that you've changed) and I've been doing cardio/strength for 2 weeks but I haven't seen a whole lot of weight loss yet from it.

Is there another way I can check my BF% because the sites I visit always say I have more than I think I have. I would like to believe that I am more muscular than most people my weight, because no one can believe I weigh as much as i do. :x