just about ready to throw in the towel.

Options
So I weighed in this morning - my normal day to weigh in (Tuesday), and I had gained another pound. I started at 160. I had gotten down to 153 and now I am back up to 155. This is over the course of two weeks.

I know two pounds isn't a lot. But I'm really discouraged. I'm a little hungry most of the time and I've been working my butt off with running, swimming, and biking, but... I'm gaining weight.

I don't get it. I hate that my ticker said 18 pounds to go and now it's going to say 20. Again.

The most frustrating part is that I went to my grandmother's funeral a few weeks ago and was in Kentucky for a week eating whatever and not checking in here at all and when I came back I had dropped three pounds. Now it's all back.

:frown:

Replies

• bellmom627
    bellmom627 Posts: 195
    Options
    So I weighed in this morning - my normal day to weigh in (Tuesday), and I had gained another pound. I started at 160. I had gotten down to 153 and now I am back up to 155. This is over the course of two weeks.

I know two pounds isn't a lot. But I'm really discouraged. I'm a little hungry most of the time and I've been working my butt off with running, swimming, and biking, but... I'm gaining weight.

I don't get it. I hate that my ticker said 18 pounds to go and now it's going to say 20. Again.

The most frustrating part is that I went to my grandmother's funeral a few weeks ago and was in Kentucky for a week eating whatever and not checking in here at all and when I came back I had dropped three pounds. Now it's all back.

• Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe you should start eating some of the calories you're burning from exercise. Sometimes eating the calories you burn from exercise helps keep you from starving yourself and (somehow) can help you lose weight. I've seen people with the same problem on the forums many times before, and it seems eating the exercise calories is the answer, although I'm not sure why myself. :laugh:

Good luck! :heart: :smile:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Dont give up! You've done this much, keep it up!
  • bellmom627
    Options
    I always eat my exercise calories.
  • olyjok
    olyjok Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would try to Drink lots of water. Are you covering your Calories is a nother thing to look at. Im currently stuck at my weight 185lbs. Come to find out I not eating the cals I burn. I didn't think this was a big deal but it is. Also If you are doing all that work with swimming and running you might be putting on more muscle. Don't give up:tongue: Every Body is different

Josh
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    You know what I'm going to say...if Charlie Brown doesn't give up girlie...

PEA0334~Peanuts-Never-Ever-EVER-Give-Up-Posters.jpg
  • rayche319
    Options
    Hi, this is the 1st time i've ever posted anything on here...

if you're busting your butt running, swimming and biking you're probably putting on muscle. Have you been taking your measurements? i would try that.
  • mcaplan
    mcaplan Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't get discouraged -- I know nothing about your current weight but 2 lbs on a 150lb person is very miniscule.

1) drink water - I have a timer on my computer at work (set via outlook calendar) that dings me once every hour to drink water. Surprisingly, your body adjusts to the water (after a few days to a couple of weeks) and then uses it to reduce your feelings of hunger.
    2) if you are snacking just ask: will I be happy I ate this #### 5 minutes from now? am I hungry or am I bored. If you can't tell, have some water.
    3) Every once in a while you need to "treat yourself like company" -- relax about the weight loss and have a dessert or special food you crave -- just control the portion size and be careful. Don't beat yourself up.
    4) if you work out a fair amount, you might be gaining muscle. are you fitting into smaller clothes? It is the fat you really care about, not the weight if you are putting on muscle. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat and also will increase your resting metabolic rate (which means your body burns more calories at no/low activity levels).
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won't let you give up.....{putting on my really tight high school cheerleader outfit....:grumble: this used to be big on me:sad: ...oh well its for a GOOD cause right:wink: ?!}

okay I know how you feel....and those two pounds honestly if it were me, I would just write them off to water or stress weight....and try a fresh start....eat your exercise cals, be sort of strict w/ yourself, write or type everything that you eat, etc....water...you'll feel awesome in no time.....so 2, 4, 6, 8......come on lady we think your GREAT!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOO BELLMOM~!! YOU CAN DOOOOO IT!

{doing a running cartwheel!} wooo! wooo!...............:grumble: oh my poor back....sigh....see how much I don't want you to give up!!! :laugh:

hugs!!! :drinker:
    Ali
  • shashod
    shashod Posts: 103
    Options
    Don't give up, :noway: you've come too far... eventually the scales will have to catch up, just hang in there :flowerforyou:
  • sftbutterflykiss
    sftbutterflykiss Posts: 223 Member
    Options

2 pounds is alot when you.. work so hard to just get one pound off.. i know how you feel.. im on the fence right now... dont know which way to go.... give up... or keep working soooo flipping hard.... just to fit in excersise... or all the stress....LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND OUT ANYTHING THAT MIGHT HELP ME!!.... FEELING YOU ALL THE WAY!!
  • Reesy
    Reesy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Throwing in the towel will get you exactly- NOWHERE. This is a journey like life there are ups and downs. Do you see any other measurable effects of your hard work?

Seriously, chin up. YOU CAN DO IT but most importantly.....YOU WILL!!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming-- " Dory, Finding Nemo.

Don't give up-- you know how it is, like you said all of a sudden you'll drop weight and wonder how/why. Hang in there and keep your eyes on the prize. (boy does that sound hokey-- but you know what I mean) You can do it, you can do it, if you put your mind to it, buckle down, buckle down, do it, do it, do it!!!! (only cheer I remember from high school)

DON'T GIVE UP-- HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bellmom627
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the encouragement. I'm not going to quit. I really appreciate you guys!

I'm even crying a little right now [dries eyes] :ohwell:
  • honeybunchthree
    honeybunchthree Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, don't give in!!!
  • jew2442
    jew2442 Posts: 34
    Options
    bellmom-I am going to KY to visit my mom on vacation the last week of August-thank God she has recently got in shape and walks almost 3 miles a day. She will have her 80th birthday while I'm there and can out walk any of her 9 kids!!! She is amazing and is a role model and hero in my books and I'll be watching myself around her making sure I'm eating right and she'll make me walk too.

I've been working really hard too-exercising everyday swimming for an hour at least each day. It is really coming off slow, but I'm not giving up. I will do this....again. And with the help of this website and my mfp friends, I'll keep it off this time.

Hang in there-it is a journey and we will make it to the end:smile:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    They'll be none of that quitting talk missy :angry:

Seriously though, don't let it discourage you. It takes time and we all have our good weeks and bad weeks. The most important thing is to point out the things that you slipped up on and learn from them. You can't expect to change your entire lifestyle overnight. It takes time. I've been doing this for like a year now and have only lost 28lbs. I would fall on and fall off but each time I fell off for a shorter amount of time. And even when I did fall off I kept the guidelines in the back of my head. It gets easier and easier...well getting to make this lifestyle a normal routine that is. But it takes time. Be patient and come to MFP for support. We're here for you. Just don't throw in the towel. YOU CAN DO THIS! :drinker:
    And we are ALL here for you....Keep at it...You'll get it.:wink: