Can someone explain to me???

Options
2»

Replies

• MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I have a hypothyroid (if that is the correct terminology) which means is it too slow and helps me gain. Or so I have been told.....hyper would be the opposit, making it difficult to gain. Sure everyone is different but I really don't see how it affects me. I have gained weight since high school (who hasn't) but not such an insane amount that I could blame it on my thyroid. And while it has always been a little difficult for me to lose, it was also pretty slow for me to gain, which is the complete opposit of what I have always heard of the disease. Looking back on the foods I ate and lack of exercise before I found MFP, it's pretty shocking to me that I wasn't 400 pounds. Not that I ate THAT badly, probably pretty average for someone who didn't count calories, but I made very poor choices and my idea of a serving was pretty far off....but I never binged or did anything like that......oh and I often skipped meals so that also accounts for not being able to lose.

So anyway, I seriously don't feel much different when I am on the meds. Doctors tell me I will lose weight easier and have more energy, but if I do I haven't noticed that big of a difference. I have been surprised at how consistently I have been losing lately which is a new concept for me, but then again I am doing things differently, I have never been this dedicated to counting calories, making better choices, getting regular exercise, doing regular weigh-ins, etc. My doctor did switch me to a different kind of thyroid pill the last time I was in around May, but late April is also when I started MFP. So is my recent weight loss the result of MFP alone, the thyroid pill alone, or a combination of both? Who knows!

All I do know is that my doctor yells at me when I tell her I stopped taking my pills, so she takes some blood, adjusts the dosage and I vow to take them everyday so she won't yell at me. Whether it is making a difference or not is unknown to me.

Please make sure you take your pills everyday. Hypothyroidism has serious side-effects if left unchecked including goiter, symptoms similar to paranoid scizophrenia (sp?) and even possibly death. Sounds like yours got caught pretty early before major symptoms. Keep on truckin' and you'll be fine. Oh - and take your pills!!!!! Every morning at least 1 hour before consuming food. We wouldn't want you to gain 15 lbs in a few weeks, then go nuts or die on us :heart:
  • runawaybride
    runawaybride Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    OH by the way a little bit of useless info mixed with some humor......

Did you hear about that 44 lb cat .....seriously they had the vet on and he said the cat had an underactive thyroid .......so if that helps!!! :laugh:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    OH by the way a little bit of useless info mixed with some humor......

Did you hear about that 44 lb cat .....seriously they had the vet on and he said the cat had an underactive thyroid .......so if that helps!!! :laugh:

OMG the white one on the news alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll over right now? How sad. LOL