very small family NSV, leads to a VERY bright future =)

Options
I have been dieting and exercising since shortly after my husband deployed in the fall, for alot of reasons, one of the biggest being that when my husband gets home I want him to say WOW! But also, because I want my kids and husband to reap the benefits of a healthy, happy, active mama! I have made small changes here and there, nothing big really, but what I'm doing seems to be working because I'm down 15lbs. It has been a slow process, I'm not looking for immediate gratification (although that sure as hell would be nice lol). I am by no means an expert, I def still love my quick fix meals, but I'm making healthier choices and exercising portion control. I am not into clean eating because FOR ME, personally, it's just too much trouble lol... that is MY OPINION, it's not going to change, so for all of you clean eaters reading this, I applaud you, but please do NOT try to tell me different, it will get you know where...

It comes down to me learning to reverse years of poor eating choices and struggling with my weight and being uber self concsious and uncomfortable with my body. I've done this on my own because I know if I don't, It won't last... I can't rely on anyone else to push me or tell me what to do, if I don't figure it out on my own, then it won't stay with me. I LOVE the support I get from everyone here on MFP and def need it, but as far as doing the right thing, that HAS to come from within... ANYHOW... on to my NSV...

My family is slowly following suit as well... and by slowly, I mean... dragging at a snails pace. My 16 y/o little sister lives with my mom, and it's just the 2 of them these days. My mom is a nurse at a state prison so she works random days/shifts, my little sister is still in highschool and is a waitress, neither of them are home alot because of that. My mom recently got put on days only, so no more crazy shifts. I have been begging and pleading with them to stop eating out every day... they've both gained so much weight over the last year, it's unreal! My mother, bless her heart I love her unconditionally, but she is not very domestic. She doesn't like to cook (but when she does, she's one hell of a cook... typical southern Woman lol), she only cleans what she HAS to... and my little sister is 11 years younger then I, so my older sister and I were never around to be "examples" for her. I'm not saying my mom is a bad example, she's a really good mom to us all, but if Kacye tells her "hey I'll grab Dairy Queen on my way home from work" my mom is totally ok with that lol. It happens 4-5 days a week, and the other days they have like... cereal or frozen pizzas... something like that.
Well this past weekend I went to stay with them just to visit and when I got there my moms house was neat and organized (it's never been dirty as in gross, but always been cluttered, cuz like I said, she only cleans what she HAS to lol) and she asked me to go grocery shopping with her, as I'm the one out of the 3 kids that turned out very domestic and cooks and does the whole "martha stewart" thing lol. I'm also the one that is into healthy eating and healthy living. So she asked me to go with her. Now, it wasn't a complete turn around or anything... she bought alot of hamburger helper and like frozen lasagna and frozen "family" dinners... but the thing is she bought groceries. She intends to cook dinner EVERY night AT HOME. She did at least buy bagged salads and dressing, and her and Kacye both promised to have a salad with dinner every night.
And they both "confessed" to me that they've stopped stopping by Sonic to get a coke every day. My little sister has even started using her $2 or whatever it is she uses to by her Sonic coke and started putting it in a jar every day, she had $31 in her jar when I was there!

So, it's not a big step in the right direction, but it's a step, and it made me really happy! Aside from how much better this will be for them health wise, they are also going to save a ton of money by not eating out all the time! Just had to share cuz it made me happy!

Replies

• bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!! The longest journey begins with the first step.... you must be an inspiration to them! Keep up the good work!
  • MissbusyLizzie
    MissbusyLizzie Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Look how much of a difference you are making already! WOW! You are awesome!! :)
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    thank you! It feels good to know that I'm the reason behind their changes. Even if they never change their eating habits from what they're doing now, it's still better then what they were doing before and it makes me really happy!
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    That is sooo awesome! Now just get them both to join MFP :)
  • Betheroo
    Betheroo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    That is a really beautiful NSV. I think after we list the obvious (wanting to look absolutely fabulous!), one of the best goals we can have is to set a good example for the people we love. How cool that you are actually seeing tangible results from that. Good job!
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That is so wonderful! I know a lot of us hope to influence our families to pay more attention to their health, but that doesn't always happen. They must be seeing changes in you, not just your weight - maybe your energy, self-confidence and all of those other things that go with a healthier lifestyle - that made them want to join you. And for a teenager to take that initiative too - amazing. I wish that I'd found a healthier way of life and influenced my own family years ago and maybe things would've turned out differently. Congratulations!

Pam
  • sanddollar
    sanddollar Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your mom and sis are moving in the right direction! Thanks for supporting their baby steps!!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    That's great! I must say, I'm glad I no longer live near a Sonic because I'm hooked on cherry chocolate Dr. Pepper from there. When I'm visiting my parents, I definitely want to get one every day.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    What's nsv mean?
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Great NSV! Congrats.i m trying to inspire my family too. I know it is possible.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!