Foot injury?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Hey all, I hope you guys had a great weekend.

I think I hurt myself again, I just don't know if its something I should go to a doctor about. On saturday night we walked around Philadelphia, and then we did the same on sunday. All together we walked about 120 blocks - from 42nd street down to 5th street at least 3-4 times. I kind of lost count.

Anyways, about midway through the trip on sunday, I started getting shooting pains in the underside of my arch on my left foot. The pains only were there when i'd put my weight on my foot, and they get a little better if I only walk on the ball of my foot. The pain stretches from the underside of my arch to the top, all along the side of my foot, up around the outside of my ankle.

Think I just overtaxed my foot? I'm just worried that I damaged the arch of my foot. Whats really funny is this whole walk was with running shoes that have extra arch support.

I've been limping since, and bought a sports wrap to put around my arch/ankle which really doesn't seem to be helping. If I don't walk on it for a few hours it gets better as long as I don't walk more than 10-11 steps. Then it flares back up.

Anyone experienced this? Luckily I can ride my bike still, but I had other plans that are looking like they're gonna get canceled because of it. :(

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    Hey all, I hope you guys had a great weekend.

I think I hurt myself again, I just don't know if its something I should go to a doctor about. On saturday night we walked around Philadelphia, and then we did the same on sunday. All together we walked about 120 blocks - from 42nd street down to 5th street at least 3-4 times. I kind of lost count.

Anyways, about midway through the trip on sunday, I started getting shooting pains in the underside of my arch on my left foot. The pains only were there when i'd put my weight on my foot, and they get a little better if I only walk on the ball of my foot. The pain stretches from the underside of my arch to the top, all along the side of my foot, up around the outside of my ankle.

Think I just overtaxed my foot? I'm just worried that I damaged the arch of my foot. Whats really funny is this whole walk was with running shoes that have extra arch support.

I've been limping since, and bought a sports wrap to put around my arch/ankle which really doesn't seem to be helping. If I don't walk on it for a few hours it gets better as long as I don't walk more than 10-11 steps. Then it flares back up.

Anyone experienced this? Luckily I can ride my bike still, but I had other plans that are looking like they're gonna get canceled because of it. :(
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    sure, you probably have a touch of plantar Faciitis. It's probably not serious if it only hurts when you put direct pressure on it. You can look up plantar faciitis if you want to know more. But most likely, a little ice and 3 to 5 days without doing any high impact should fix it. I get that from time to time. You should switch to something which doesn't cause impact for a couple of weeks though, eliptical, recumbant bike, or swimming. Things like that. If you're not crying out in pain, the tendon is most likely just slightly pulled (as opposed to torn, which would pretty much be unbearable).

Also, you might want to look into a running store, have them examine your walking gate, and suggest a shoe with the right arch support for your walks. They should be able to help. Depending on where you get the pain, different types of sneaker are required.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    awww Matt!!!

hugs and sorry your foot hurts....that's no fun!

I actually get pains in my feet arches when I walk for long periods of time in my joggin shoes too???? I know I have really strong arches....so that may have something to do w/ it....if you can I'd go see a foot doc, they can give you maybe a good support thingy for your shoes......great job on the LONG walk though!

hugs and hope you feel better soon!!!
    Ali :flowerforyou:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may have a slight case of plantar faciatis (sp?). Rest your foot and stretch your toes back to stretch the tendon. Basically PF is tendonitis on the bottom of your fott and it sucks.
  • msarro
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try to kick back and relax a bit for tonight, and hopefully its better for tomorrow when my girlfriend has the night off.

On a fun note, here's a pic of myself and the girlfriend from last night. I took advantage of one of those carts they have at wal-mart because it hurt a bit too much to walk. :)

http://twitpic.com/6lg6
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    sure, you probably have a touch of plantar Faciitis. It's probably not serious if it only hurts when you put direct pressure on it. You can look up plantar faciitis if you want to know more. But most likely, a little ice and 3 to 5 days without doing any high impact should fix it. I get that from time to time. You should switch to something which doesn't cause impact for a couple of weeks though, eliptical, recumbant bike, or swimming. Things like that. If you're not crying out in pain, the tendon is most likely just slightly pulled (as opposed to torn, which would pretty much be unbearable).

Also, you might want to look into a running store, have them examine your walking gate, and suggest a shoe with the right arch support for your walks. They should be able to help. Depending on where you get the pain, different types of sneaker are required.

I have this. It started in my arch and progressively moved to my heel. I am doing physical therapy. It was feeling a lot better and then I got the bright idea to go for a run last night...not a good idea. I am hurting today. My physical therapist is going to upset with me. If you are not feeling better in a week or so go see an orthopedist. I didn't go for 4 months and he said I would be much better off if I had seen him sooner!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try to kick back and relax a bit for tonight, and hopefully its better for tomorrow when my girlfriend has the night off.

On a fun note, here's a pic of myself and the girlfriend from last night. I took advantage of one of those carts they have at wal-mart because it hurt a bit too much to walk. :)

LOL! Oh man.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

That is awesome!
    Sorry about your foot. I get the same thing and I just have to take a spoon full of time for it.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    rotflmbo!!! great pic...and great idea....you two look great together btw...you go boy!!! hugs!!!
  • msarro
    Options
    By the way, think I'd be ok going for a bike ride today? I've got my foot pretty heavily wrapped, but I'd like to do *something* that'll let me get my heart rate up. I rode my bike back home on sunday and it didn't really hurt. I'll take it easy, but my bike is lonely and needs attention :laugh: