S.B.F Challenge...Aug 5

Options
Good morning ladies!
I haven't worked out yet but I will! I am going to do an hour of Taebo at some point today.
I drank almost all my water yesterday. Maybe a glass or so shy.
I am a little frustrated because I have some friends who are very overweight that are dropping pounds fast, and they are hardly eating anything! They barely make 1200 cals and they don't eat their exercise calories. I have told them they need to eat more but it's working so why change it right? I'm doing it the "right" way as far as eating my exercise cals and my clothes are not any looser! I still have the scale put away so I don't know about pounds and I am too afraid to check anyway! I just don't get it! I am working my rear off! Yes my stomach muscles are getting tighter, yes I have stronger arms, but nothing is shrinking! I got it to come off before (6 months ago) and it's just not budging! I've upped my calories and lowered my calories, and that has done nothing. I am not giving up, I'm just frustrated. I hope when I step on the scale next week I will see a change, but I'm not holding my breath.
Sorry, I needed to vent. I'll be okay once I get my work out in.
:frown:

Replies

• mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!
    I haven't worked out yet but I will! I am going to do an hour of Taebo at some point today.
    I drank almost all my water yesterday. Maybe a glass or so shy.
    I am a little frustrated because I have some friends who are very overweight that are dropping pounds fast, and they are hardly eating anything! They barely make 1200 cals and they don't eat their exercise calories. I have told them they need to eat more but it's working so why change it right? I'm doing it the "right" way as far as eating my exercise cals and my clothes are not any looser! I still have the scale put away so I don't know about pounds and I am too afraid to check anyway! I just don't get it! I am working my rear off! Yes my stomach muscles are getting tighter, yes I have stronger arms, but nothing is shrinking! I got it to come off before (6 months ago) and it's just not budging! I've upped my calories and lowered my calories, and that has done nothing. I am not giving up, I'm just frustrated. I hope when I step on the scale next week I will see a change, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Sorry, I needed to vent. I'll be okay once I get my work out in.
    :frown:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I know I wasn't the "addressee" to your venting but I thought I'd chime in a reply if that's okay.

It's normal when you're obese to rapidly drop weight eating minimal calories (or starving yourself) because your body has enough reserves to draw on initially to not really notice. Eventually, however, that technique will backfire on them because it's a mind over matter "game" we play with food and the mind is a very powerful tool and will convince the body to gorge itself again in case there's another "famine" on the horizon.

What you're doing is exactly what we should all be doing because it's probably the best way to attempt to train the mind and body together to recognize what's needed and how to get past the previous bad habits.

I've been on a plateau for about a month now just 12lbs shy of my goal but I know that it will eventually shift in my favor. My clothes keep getting loser, my muscle tone is much better and I'm down from a size 40 waist to a 34 and happy with how I'm getting there.

You vent all you need to because it helps to get past some of those stumbling blocks along the way.

Bob
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

It's normal when you're obese to rapidly drop weight eating minimal calories (or starving yourself) because your body has enough reserves to draw on initially to not really notice. Eventually, however, that technique will backfire on them because it's a mind over matter "game" we play with food and the mind is a very powerful tool and will convince the body to gorge itself again in case there's another "famine" on the horizon.

What you're doing is exactly what we should all be doing because it's probably the best way to attempt to train the mind and body together to recognize what's needed and how to get past the previous bad habits.

that's exactly what I would have said, even better than I could have said it! The last 10-15 pounds can make you question your faith and your sanity. It just takes forever for your body to drop it. Have faith! It will go. . .(but on its own schedule. . .)

Today I'm headed to the gym fairly early (for me) because I have to go get another test at the Dr.s this afternoon. Ugh. The rotten part is that I'm getting all these "tests" but I won't get any results for another two weeks until I see my Dr. again. I hate the whole "process" thing. . .

I'm going to do weights and elliptical at the gym, aiming for about 500 calories total. Then, it' off to the states for a visit. . .(but I probably can't resist checking in). . .and an "exercise vacation" from weights and heavy cardio. I'm taking a Rodney Yee DVD, though. . .so I keep stretched out.:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    MM - I always have to tell myself, when I see people here or elsewhere that lose more than say an ounce per week, I will make it...I will make it. I lost my first pound this week since May, so I feel your pain. For weight loss, winning is finishing, not how fast you go. You are still here, half the work is done.

V - you've been secretive about this "vacation" you speak of. Where are you going? Back home? Good luck on your tests, just remember, at least in CN you can get the test and not have to decide if you can afford them.

Did yoga and walking yesterday. We really worked on hamstrings in yoga, working towards splits pose. It been so long since I've been sore from yoga, it took me a while to figure out what I did! I'm not sure what today holds, probably more walking and elliptical as wrist is too sore for anything else - although there is a kickboxing class today...

Oh, fingers crossed that my pound loss was not due to skipping lots of weight classes -

and come on over Edouard :bigsmile:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Guten Morgen!

Today I am doing lots of clean up.. we may be buying a new home (well 99% sure we are haha) and Im gonna try to get to the Shred level 2. My sister said she is about to start the "Master Cleanse" tomorrow, so I told her I would try it with her. She said shes done it before and it really helped cleaned her system out, but I was reading old posts and some say to, and others say not to, what do you think?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Guten Morgen!

Today I am doing lots of clean up.. we may be buying a new home (well 99% sure we are haha) and Im gonna try to get to the Shred level 2. My sister said she is about to start the "Master Cleanse" tomorrow, so I told her I would try it with her. She said shes done it before and it really helped cleaned her system out, but I was reading old posts and some say to, and others say not to, what do you think?

It's just another fad diet. Won't clean your system (your body already does that on it's own) and it will just make you binge at the end. IMHO. I wouldn't do it.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Guten Morgen!

It's just another fad diet. Won't clean your system (your body already does that on it's own) and it will just make you binge at the end. IMHO. I wouldn't do it.

Sounds good! Thanks!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

V - you've been secretive about this "vacation" you speak of. Where are you going? Back home? Good luck on your tests, just remember, at least in CN you can get the test and not have to decide if you can afford them.

I'm going to the glamorous land of Toledo, Ohio where my husband's fam. is from. And yes, I love to whip out my provincial insurance card. It's like a little plastic miracle to me. . .

Oh, and I just got back from a workout where I essentially murdered myself because I know I have five days to recover. :devil:
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    Hi ladies. I'm patting myself on the back today. My little one has been sick since 1:30 this morning so I have been up since then. I'm thinking he has some kind of intestinal icky thing. I still managed to do 35 minutes of Turbo Jam before he hollered for me and then I just rode my stationary bike for 8 miles. Needless to say I will be in bed before sunset and my eating hasn't been the greatest, but such is life sometimes & I'm just trying to make the best of it. I also have shower invitations to get out in the mail by tomorrow for my newest granddaughter who will be here in September. No rest for the wicked but I can tell you this-I'm definately STRONGER BETTER & FASTER!
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    Options
    Good Afternoon... I had to attend a professional development workshop today so I haven't gotten around to my exercise yet. Yesterday was a tough day to get motivated after a long weekend of fun at the tennis tournament. I didn't do the Shred dvd or ride the stationary bike. I did manage a 1.75 mile walk, push ups, and cobra presses last night. My goal yesterday was to burn between 400-500 calories, and I burned 220... I guess that is better than nothing.

Today's plan
    Shred Level 1 + Stationary bike
    Evening walk
    Lots of water
    Healthy food choices

Julie-- I hope your little one is feeling better soon!
  • dragonscapes24
    Options
    Hi there challengers. I am back. Sorry for disappearing on you all like that but I had a lot of personal stuff going on. While I was gone I :
    1. Lost my job.
    2. Went over my head in debt.
    3. Gained back the weight I had lost and then some.
    4. Took up running.
    5. Became a vegetarian.
    6. Came back here more motivated than ever before.

Hope you all are doing wonderful. Today I ran most of a 1.66 mile loop in my neighborhood and I am spreading the news. LOL.

Jenn