Age old Question, what to bring for lunch?

Options
Sigra
Sigra Posts: 374 Member
What I currently Eat: Tuna, Celery, Relish, and Mayo w/ Salad (Spinach, Tomato, B. Olives and Mushrooms).

What I have available at my work: Fridge, Microwave, plasticware, Hot water(from coffee machine) - So my choices are pretty vast.

I'd prefer not to eat Bread and no Seafood. - Soup is extremely high in Sodium, and with my Incepitus(I retain a ton of water) I'd prefer to stay away from it. I have to go to work at 10:30am, so I have plenty of time to make food before or after work. - What are some ideas for lunch (not snacks!)

Thanks guys :D

Replies

• SindeeLucy
    Options
    I have just been bringing leftovers mostly because of $$. :) Wish I could help you out...........
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Why don't you take leftover dinner for lunch and cook something else for dinner today. I do that pretty often and since my dinners usually have the same amount of calories as lunch, I don't feel stuffed from too much food. I get bored with the same old tuna on crackers, sandwiches, and salads. I also don't buy lean cuisines as I'd rather cook my own food. So that seem to work for me.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I never have left overs. We cook 2chicken breasts, or 1steak(split in half). - The only left overs there are is the Salad, which I have been bringing to eat faster since my SO normally doesn't do Salads.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    self made soup (lower in sodium)
    salads with grilled chicken (instead of tuna) and strawberries, with lettuce, cucumbers, celery etc and balsamic dressing (tastes fabulous with strawberries)
    grilled chicken with cold pasta salad or warm pasta)

something different like a thai beef salad (use reducede sodium soy sauce, decrease peanut amounts in half, lean beef and if you are American by corriander they mean cilantro (though mint or flat leaf parsley is nice too! )

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/3216/thai+beef+salad

tabouleh can be made in advanced and can be dressed up any way you want

here is a basic recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/tabbouleh-recipe/index.html

and you can vary it easily with bulgar or couscous or quinoa or even rice as base

I am sure that there are plenty of ideas out there those are just the only one's I can think of now :-)
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into getting a low sodium cookbook. Take leftovers from the night before. Salads are great, but you could get tired of them too.
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Since I'm already cooking for dinner, I got in the habit of cooking more for the next day. Besides, I don't have time to cook every day so leftovers are a must in my house. Just a thought...
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do snack plates for lunch. Different veggies, fruits, some lean protein (chicken breast, turkey breast, etc) with homemade hummus for the veggies or yogurt dip for the fruit. You can add crackers, or pita crisps, too. Very fun to eat and lots of variety, you can make it differently every time according to what you have in the fridge.