Apple a Day -- new research

Options
kbanzhaf
kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
Hi Everyone,
I heard about this recently completed study on the radio this AM, so I did a Google search. We've "always" heard that an apple a day is good for you.....Here is further proof.
Kaye

An apple a day can really keep the doctor away — by reducing bad cholesterol levels in women, according to a new study.

"Apples are truly a miracle fruit that convey benefits beyond fiber content," said Bahram H. Arjmandi, Margaret A. Sitton Professor and Chair, Department of Nutrition, Food and Exercise Sciences at The Florida State University, who led the study.

Animal studies have shown that apple pectin and polyphenols in apple improve lipid metabolism and lower the production of pro-inflammatory molecules.

Arjmandi's research is the first to evaluate the long-term cardio-protective effects of daily consumption of apple in postmenopausal women.

The study randomly assigned 160 women ages 45-65 to one of two dietary intervention groups: one received dried apples daily (75g/day for 1 year) and the other group ate dried prunes every day for a year.

Blood samples were taken at 3, 6 and 12-months.

The results surprised Arjmandi, who stated that incredible changes in the apple-eating women happened by 6 months - they experienced a 23 per cent decrease in LDL cholesterol.

The daily apple consumption also led to a lowering of lipid hydroperoxide levels and C-reactive protein in those women.

"I never expected apple consumption to reduce bad cholesterol to this extent while increasing HDL cholesterol or good cholesterol by about 4 per cent," said Arjmandi.

Yet another advantage is that the extra 240 calories per day consumed from the dried apple did not lead to weight gain in the women; in fact, they lost on average 3.3 lbs.

"Reducing body weight is an added benefit to daily apple intake" he said.

Part of the reason for the weight loss could be the fruit's pectin, which is known to have a satiety effect.

The results were presented at Experimental Biology 2011 in Washington, DC.

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    BUMP.

Was just thinking about the "apple a day" saying and decided to do a search on MFP. I always figured it was based on fiber content of apples, but this study takes it further.

75 grams of dried apples a day. About 5 times the amount of calories in raw apples. I'm curious how they came up with that amount and why they chose apples, especially since the researcher said he was surprised by the findings.

55835802.png
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It is interesting. The post above yours says it was around 240 extra calories per day, which is about two large apples, I think.

I'm surprised they didn't gain weight. I thought conventional wisdom was that dried fruit isn't nearly as filling as fresh fruit.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    It's not clear from the abstract, but the participants may have reduced their daily calories to compensate. I participated in a clinical trial last year that involved consuming juice. I adjusted my calorie intake accordingly.

The study showed that both apple and plum reduced crp levels so both had anti-inflammatory properties, or may have displaced something in the diet that was pro-inflammatory. There was also no difference in lipid lowering between the groups, but apple showed greater ldl lowering within the group.

It would be interesting to read the full text and see the differences in food intake, calories etc. pre-intervention and during. It makes no sense that added calories led to weight loss.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Every so often, there is a story about apples being good for you. Apple A Day and all that. :)

I keep waiting for the one that says, "Honeycrisp apples don't count, turns out they're bad," lol. Those things are SO good! They're almost an entirely different fruit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I really wish I found apples filling, but nope...
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    It would be interesting to read the full text and see the differences in food intake, calories etc. pre-intervention and during. It makes no sense that added calories led to weight loss.
    I think they're saying the people didn't calorie count and just ate less overall when the apple was part of their diet.

• sodakat
    Options
    I think they're saying the people didn't calorie count and just ate less overall when the apple was part of their diet.

That's what I took away also. The gram weight of dried apples was 75g, btw so I was comparing the calories between 75g of raw apples with 75g of dried. That's where I got about 5 times more.

I dried a bunch of apples a while back after picking them from a local tree, but they are gone now. Next time I do it I'm going to figure out how many grams dried I get from one fresh apple.

55835802.png
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    The calories wouldn't change from drying (though you're right, the weight would) so if eating 240 calories of dried apples had a positive effect, I imagine you could eat 240 calories of non-dried apples for the same effect, or possibly even less because I think they are more filling when not dried. I think eating 2-2.5 apples a day would get old (unless you did dry them), though, so I think I'll stick to one! Or maybe look for dried ones at Costco. :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I wonder why they used dried apples since the reduced water and increased sugar content seems counterproductive. Also, in terms of fiber, pears actually have more than apples. Plus, that's an awful lot of apples, and I like apples.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »

That's what I took away also. The gram weight of dried apples was 75g, btw so I was comparing the calories between 75g of raw apples with 75g of dried. That's where I got about 5 times more.

I dried a bunch of apples a while back after picking them from a local tree, but they are gone now. Next time I do it I'm going to figure out how many grams dried I get from one fresh apple.

55835802.png

I think it would be interesting to see more information from their food diaries at baseline and during. I'm going to look for the full text next week.

• WalkingAlong
    Options
    I don't think it was published in a journal, just presented at that medical conference. The only full text I found was popular press summaries. I don't think the participants kept food diaries before or during. The 3.3 lb. loss was over a year. It was a USDA funded study.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I don't think it was published in a journal, just presented at that medical conference. The only full text I found was popular press summaries. I don't think the participants kept food diaries before or during. The 3.3 lb. loss was over a year. It was a USDA funded study.

I think that this was the study published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22818725

I'm pretty sure that the study design would include food diaries.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Every so often, there is a story about apples being good for you. Apple A Day and all that. :)

I keep waiting for the one that says, "Honeycrisp apples don't count, turns out they're bad," lol. Those things are SO good! They're almost an entirely different fruit.

Funny, I've had that thought as well...."what if honeycrisp apples are exempt because there must be something wrong since they are so yummy" :)
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Yep its all about those apples!! Yum.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

I think that this was the study published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22818725

You're right, and it does sound like there was some total intake reporting. My acad. library doesn't have that journal so I can't help you with the details.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "The Florida State University" - let me guess, study funded by a fruit grower's association ?
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

You're right, and it does sound like there was some total intake reporting. My acad. library doesn't have that journal so I can't help you with the details.
    No problems, I'll get it at work on Monday, and I'll check out the funding source too Yarwell.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    One of the articles I read said the USDA funded it. I think apples are grown in the Pacific Northwest, and oranges in Florida! ;)

A year long study would involve self-reported intake, so (to me) basically anywhere from a rough estimate to total fiction. :p
  • sodakat
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I wish we knew why they chose dried apples (I know I keep saying that). Could it be because it took 240 grams of dried apples to achieve the amount of fiber the researchers wanted the control group to consume... or maybe some nutrient apples contain?

The most obvious difference I can find is fiber, but its not like the 10g of fiber in the dried apples is a huge amount, IMO. Here's a link to nutrition difference between 100g of fresh and 100g dried.

apples-dried-sulfured-uncooked

55835802.png
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    I wish we knew why they chose dried apples (I know I keep saying that). Could it be because it took 240 grams of dried apples to achieve the amount of fiber the researchers wanted the control group to consume... or maybe some nutrient apples contain?

The most obvious difference I can find is fiber, but its not like the 10g of fiber in the dried apples is a huge amount, IMO. Here's a link to nutrition difference between 100g of fresh and 100g dried.

apples-dried-sulfured-uncooked

55835802.png

Dehydrate? No water, easier to measure the left over. I suppose no two apples of the same weight have the same water content.