Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Too high heart rate = no/low weight loss?

2»

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Here's an interesting read:

http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

Basically, yes, if you keep your heart rate in that "fat burning zone", you will burn more fat calories DURING exercise. However, if you work in the "cardio zone", you will burn less fat calories DURING the exercise, but you keep burning fat calories long AFTER the exercise. So, in regards to fat burn, there's no difference. So, working at a higher heart rate can burn the same amount of fat, but also improve cardiovascular fitness! (that's a good thing IMO, and as far as the study shows!)

Correct (great link by the way.)

It seems that people still seem to buy into the idea of a "fat burning" workout which is pretty much outdated.

The body uses a mix of energy substrates, mainly fat and carbs, to power exercise. The % of fat in comparison to carbs used depends mostly on the intensity of the exercise. Low intensity tends to elicit a greater % of fat used in contrast to carbs hence the "fat burning zone." However over the course of a 24 hr period there is pretty much no difference fat oxidation between higher intensity workouts and lower ones. Low intensity burns more during the workout, high intensity more post workout levelling out the amount to roughly the same (if not more for high intensity.)

In addition the fat deployed during exercise comes mostly from triglycerides already present in muscle cells, not from the squidy places you want them. Perhaps most importantly the total amount of fat burned during exercise is miniscule.

What does this mean? That cardio work, be it high or low intensity, is over rated if you using it primarily as a fat loss tool. Diet is the main weapon in this respect. You can bust your *kitten* on the treadmill trying to burn off 300 calories in 30 minutes or you can just not eat that chocolate bar in the first place.

Don't get me wrong. I use both high and low intensity cardio in my own training and both have excellent health and overall performance benefits. However in the fat loss realm it is better to think of diet and then weights, with cardio of whatever type coming a distant third in pure efficiency terms.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member

http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

Basically, yes, if you keep your heart rate in that "fat burning zone", you will burn more fat calories DURING exercise. However, if you work in the "cardio zone", you will burn less fat calories DURING the exercise, but you keep burning fat calories long AFTER the exercise. So, in regards to fat burn, there's no difference. So, working at a higher heart rate can burn the same amount of fat, but also improve cardiovascular fitness! (that's a good thing IMO, and as far as the study shows!)

It seems that people still seem to buy into the idea of a "fat burning" workout which is pretty much outdated.

The body uses a mix of energy substrates, mainly fat and carbs, to power exercise. The % of fat in comparison to carbs used depends mostly on the intensity of the exercise. Low intensity tends to elicit a greater % of fat used in contrast to carbs hence the "fat burning zone." However over the course of a 24 hr period there is pretty much no difference fat oxidation between higher intensity workouts and lower ones. Low intensity burns more during the workout, high intensity more post workout levelling out the amount to roughly the same (if not more for high intensity.)

In addition the fat deployed during exercise comes mostly from triglycerides already present in muscle cells, not from the squidy places you want them. Perhaps most importantly the total amount of fat burned during exercise is miniscule.

What does this mean? That cardio work, be it high or low intensity, is over rated if you using it primarily as a fat loss tool. Diet is the main weapon in this respect. You can bust your *kitten* on the treadmill trying to burn off 300 calories in 30 minutes or you can just not eat that chocolate bar in the first place.

Don't get me wrong. I use both high and low intensity cardio in my own training and both have excellent health and overall performance benefits. However in the fat loss realm it is better to think of diet and then weights, with cardio of whatever type coming a distant third in pure efficiency terms.

Just when I thought I could take a break lol jk. Thanx for all the info guys. I am every zone during my workouts so I am covered either way. I do interval training and circuits, yoga, you name it.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Great explanation!

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member

Just when I thought I could take a break lol jk. Thanx for all the info guys. I am every zone during my workouts so I am covered either way. I do interval training and circuits, yoga, you name it.

Lol - well, if it ain't broke then don't try and fix it.

In reality I think a routine which mixes up intensity, be it weights and cardio, works extremely well for most people. You look amazing so keep on keeping on....
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member

The folks that keep hammering that low intensity is the best for fat burning and that your pops is right! :smile:
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    I'm glad someone FINNALY addressed this. I've been meaning to but kept forgetting about it. I like the article msf74 posted, thats what I always heard and makes sense.

Thank you Ms. urbinachick24.
  • NikkiDerrig386

Lol - well, if it ain't broke then don't try and fix it.

In reality I think a routine which mixes up intensity, be it weights and cardio, works extremely well for most people. You look amazing so keep on keeping on....

Thanx :) The winter was bad this year. I gained 10 lbs :sad: so I have to get back down! Having a thin bf doesnt help bc he thinks I can eat what he eats. YOU MEN JUST DONT GET IT!! LOL
  • NikkiDerrig386

The folks that keep hammering that low intensity is the best for fat burning and that your pops is right! :smile:

Gotcha ya! I was like hey im just asking lol
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    There is no such thing as a "fat-burning zone".
  • joyride12
    joyride12 Posts: 12
    bump
  • formerfatboy1
    formerfatboy1 Posts: 76 Member
    First of all How long have you been training like this and what are your goals? If you've been at it for a couple of weeks then Keep doing what you are doing till you see results. It shouldn't take you that long to see results as far as leaning out depending on your nutrition. Keep doing this for the next 30 days and also include some fastest cardio. First thing in the morning do cardio on an empty stomach to burn fat if you are trying to lean out. Keep protein intake 1gram to 1.25g per pound of body weight to maintain muscle. Example you weigh 140 then Keep your intake 140 plus of protein per day with some good fats and Keep you carbs moderate.