What do you grow in your garden?

Options
Well, I'm here in Orlando, so I've been having good weather and my food is starting to blossom that I planted last month. I already have growing:

Jalepenos
Basil
Mint
Chives
Cilantro
Rosemary

Now, the new ones, which are blossoming are:
tomatos
zuchinni
banana peppers
fajita peppers

So, what are you growing and what area do you live in? What do you find grows best in your climate?

I would say peppers grow so easy here, they just take off! Plus, I love jalepenos, I usually eat one raw pepper a day some how :)

Replies

• Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Love your garden!

I'm in Colorado, so it's a bit cold yet, but I'm getting ready to plant
    peas
    onions
    lettuce
    spinach

I've planted
    strawberries
    some herbs (cilantro, flat leaf parsley)

I'll plant later
    tomatoes
    peas
    pumpkins
    watermelons
    carrots
    potatoes
    peppers
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    weeds and dirt.....
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    Im in zone 7...

Ive already planted spinach, cabbage, lettuce & onions.... Im waiting til after Easter ( last Frost) to plant the rest ( beans, broccoli, and my late carrots)...when it gets hotter Im going plant corn & melons as well....

I also am trying my hand ar fruit trees this year...a pear and apple tree for starters....
  • anieliz281
    anieliz281 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live in a condo in Chicago, but we have a roof top garden (all containers) where I grow lots of veggies. Last year, I grew most of the same stuff you did (I am also a huge fan of hot peppers), and also grew a couple of different types of cucumbers. My favorite are the lemon cucumbers. They are yellow and round so they look like lemons I guess, but they taste just like a cuke. We ate some in salads and pickled the rest. I also grew strawberries and they did amazingly well, as did the blueberries. This year we are adding lettuces and carrots to the mix! I am so excited! Our last threat of frost isn't until May15th, though, so you have a huge head start on your season. We just started a bunch of seedlings inside for now. :happy:
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    @Bootzey....That made me giggle...

I have so much, it's hard to name it all! A lot of the plants I have just for my honey bees....

I have..
    tomatoes
    About 4 different types of peppers
    squash
    zucchini
    Lavender
    Basil
    Parsley
    Peas
    Watermelon
    Honeydew
    Lemon Balm
    Saint John's Wart
    Feverfew
    Blueberries
    A huge apple and pear tree
    Fig tree
    Mint
    Two large Grapes vines
    Cilantro
    Rosemary
    Marjoram
    Tons and Tons of Roses, everywhere....
    Olive trees
    Wisteria Vines

There is so much more, but I think I will stop there!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada so we won't be planting until the last week of May or early June depending on the frost.

I have strawberries that are taking over the entire garden. Going to have to try and put in a plastic lawn edge to try and keep them contained.

I also grow lots of herbs, tomatos, peppers, blueberries and raspberries and pumpkins. I may try some spinach this year as well.

I can't wait to get out in the garden.

Karen
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    I live in a condo in Chicago, but we have a roof top garden (all containers) where I grow lots of veggies. Last year, I grew most of the same stuff you did (I am also a huge fan of hot peppers), and also grew a couple of different types of cucumbers. My favorite are the lemon cucumbers. They are yellow and round so they look like lemons I guess, but they taste just like a cuke. We ate some in salads and pickled the rest. I also grew strawberries and they did amazingly well, as did the blueberries. This year we are adding lettuces and carrots to the mix! I am so excited! Our last threat of frost isn't until May15th, though, so you have a huge head start on your season. We just started a bunch of seedlings inside for now. :happy:

All of mine is in planters too. Here in Orlando, everyones house is built with a sprinkler system that uses reclaimed water for the grass. So, if you want to grow food to eat, you have to tear out a portion of the sprinkler system, so it doesn't water your veggie garden and have a fresh water sprinkler instead. Needless to say, for my little gardening hobby, I didn't feel like ripping up the entire back yard! LoL but everything has grown well in pots so far
  • katiemeridien
    Options
    *bump*
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    parsley
    basil
    chives
    tarragon
    oregano
    tomatoes
    zucchini
    eggplant
    squash
    cucumbers
    strawberries
    watermelon
    pumpkins
    peas
    black beans
    peppers
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Our last frost date is May 15th as well, but I started my tomatoes and onions inside already. I have am planning for pole beans, snap peas, radishes, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, potatoes, and lettuce. This is my first year so I only planned for things we eat in mass quantities. aside from radishes. I've never had one, but I liked the way the Chiogga variety looked. :smile:
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm in OK and will be closing on our house in about 2 and a half weeks... I'm so looking forward to planting some things! Any suggestions on what to plant???
  • anieliz281
    anieliz281 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in OK and will be closing on our house in about 2 and a half weeks... I'm so looking forward to planting some things! Any suggestions on what to plant???

For sure, start with Tomatoes. They taste so much better and are so easy to grow. Zucchini is also easy if it is in the ground (that is one of my favorite veggies). Don't take on too much if this is your first year because you will want to figure out how much time you can devote to it and how much food you will actually use. In the beginning, it doesn't take much time at all, but as the plants get bigger, and the sun gets stronger, you need to water more often, fertilize, harvest, etc. Our first year, we started with 2 tomato plants (one was a cherry tomato variety that yielded many many more cherry tomatoes than we expected!!) and some herbs for the kitchen (one container with rosemary, lemon thyme and lavender and a separate one with basil). We also had 1 jalapeno plant and that was enough. Then our family grew and I decided I wanted to spend more time gardening, so we doubled the quantity of containers and edited what worked and what didn't. If we had our own yard, I would go a little nuts and can/freeze a bunch of stuff too...<sigh> someday...
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

For sure, start with Tomatoes. They taste so much better and are so easy to grow. Zucchini is also easy if it is in the ground (that is one of my favorite veggies). Don't take on too much if this is your first year because you will want to figure out how much time you can devote to it and how much food you will actually use. In the beginning, it doesn't take much time at all, but as the plants get bigger, and the sun gets stronger, you need to water more often, fertilize, harvest, etc. Our first year, we started with 2 tomato plants (one was a cherry tomato variety that yielded many many more cherry tomatoes than we expected!!) and some herbs for the kitchen (one container with rosemary, lemon thyme and lavender and a separate one with basil). We also had 1 jalapeno plant and that was enough. Then our family grew and I decided I wanted to spend more time gardening, so we doubled the quantity of containers and edited what worked and what didn't. If we had our own yard, I would go a little nuts and can/freeze a bunch of stuff too...<sigh> someday...

Thanks for the advice! I was definitely planning on doing tomatoes! I think I read somewhere though tomatoes plants could be toxic to dogs... not neccasarily the tomatoes but the plants... Not sure if that is accurate, but I know it's going to be a challenge to find a fence that will be my little monsters out of the garden!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Fae's garden sounds divine!!

I love garden talk...I've done containers, but this is the first year I have an actual "in-ground" garden. My hubby is fantastic...he terraced the side yard so I have places to plant. I'm so excited!!
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    I accidently grew a squash once!! I'm also managing to not only keep my office plant alive (Lucky number 3!) but to help it thrive!

Any suggestions for workaholics with "kills all things" skill?
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes and cukes.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    lemon grass, rosemary and scallions :) Trying to keep it small because this is my first time with a garden...i've managed to keep 2 dogs, a child and husband alive so hopefully I'll have just as much luck with my plants!!
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Watering, either over or under is what usually kills a plant. If you tend to forget or over water best advice....

1. make sure you buy a pot that has drainage on the bottom and then set it on like a plate or bowl....whatever they are called that usually clip to the bottom of the pot. This way, until you get used to how much to water it, the excess with drain out and not drown your plant.

2. if you forget to water it, buy one of those watering bulbs. They sell them everywhere, walmart, target, walgreens, steins, where ever. Basically, its a glass bulb with a long stem, you will it with water and the stem has a hole at the bottom, so when you stick it in the soil, it will only release as much water as needed.

Good luck!

PS, don't think that cactus would be an easy fix either. Mine is barely surviving! LOL. I'm not good at indoor plants.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    dandelions, nettles, dock leave, brambles...ooooh i do have lemon balm growing, accidental but it is a culinary plant!
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    weeds