Camping Meals

Options
I am going camping this weekend for the first time this season and I have a list of meals but I was curious what everyone else likes to take. It's car camping so the options are pretty much wide open. My favorite thing to take is stew and of course pancakes in the morning : )

What are you ideas on easy delicious camping meals? I might add it to my list : )

Replies

• chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hate to sound silly but what is "car camping"?

When I camped we ate a lot of dried goods and sandwiches. Also a lot of grillibles! haha
  • lilsweetslol
    lilsweetslol Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Im curious to see what everyone has to say!! i'm going camping next week too and I'm trying to stay on track with my foods. As there are so many delicous things at camp to have, like pizza pies and smores..lol how do I avoid those..
    I think i'm going to pack protein bars, nuts, whole grain bread, protein water packets. maybe dark chocolate hershey bar and low fat graham crackers ??
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    We like to make our "burrito mix" it is so easy and we make it in one pan. Brown lean ground beef, add taco seasoning, can of black beans (drain the black beans) and rotel tomatoes, cook until the liquid is gone, add toppings you like and can us tortillas, taco shells or just eat plain.

I can't wait to go camping!!!! Have a good time =)
  • monkeeluv
    monkeeluv Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We like to take Morningstar farms crumblies (original) b/c its very versatile. We typically make tacos for dinner one night (just add taco seasoning packet!) and then breakfast burritos the next morning. Super yummy and a healthy alternative to meat!
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Wait I forgot the most important comsumable!!! Beer and booze!!!! Oh yeah plenty of that!

Where my lushes @?!?!?!?!?!?? :drinker:
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Campfire hamburgers. I always take garlic pepper, rosemary, and lemon juice camping, so I'll mix the meat with the spices and keep it juicy while cooking by spritzing the patties with lemon juice. Then eat with whole wheat bread and canned greens on the side (what's camping without canned food?).

I also like to keep tortilla wraps on-hand (from the La Tortilla Factory company--so much fiber!) and spread them with tuna, lettuce, and tomatoes. For breakfast I'll heat these up on the griddle with diced and cooked plantains (they keep better than bananas), then spread the tortillas with plantains and peanut butter. If I have cinnamon, I sprinkle that on. My family put me in charge of all meals after I that one morning before hiking ;-).

Have fun camping!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Barbecue chicken - it's easy to pack and you can use a grill you take with you, or lots of sites have built in grills, and you can control the amount of sauce. Eggs and bacon for breakfast. And I like to make a lean beef or pork roast ahead of time for sandwiches or dinners.

Can't wait til we can make our first trip of the season - still too cold here yet. :sad:
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you have a cooler in which you can keep meat, I would highly recommend boy scout burgers. I always use extra lean ground beef (130cal/4.5g fat per 0.25 lb/4oz). Basically you just make hamburgers, seasoned to taste (salt, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic, onion powder, etc.) Place burger in center of piece of aluminum sprayed with pam. Add chopped vegetables of choice. I like to use small red potatoes, sliced baby carrots, celery, mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Surround the burger with the vegetables and fold aluminum foil around food, being sure it is competely covered. Cook over fire on tripod grill or grill grate for 45 minutes or so. Open one meal and check for doneness of meat and vegetables before serving.

This meal is very hearty and delicious, especially if you're active campers (hiking, biking, swimming, etc.) But it is also pretty healthy as long as you keep your portion sizes reasonable.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hate to sound silly but what is "car camping"?

When I camped we ate a lot of dried goods and sandwiches. Also a lot of grillibles! haha

Not a silly question at all...Car camping is camping where you aren't really limited to what you can bring because you will be driving up and parking at your campsite as opposed to backpacking or hike in sites (that comes later in the year) It just really means that I will have full access to an ice chest
  • pilotgirl2007
    Options
    Wait I forgot the most important comsumable!!! Beer and booze!!!! Oh yeah plenty of that!

Oh I forgot to mention this is not a camping trip where any beer or booze will be allowed. We are doing search and rescue training and there will be cadets involved (youngins) so no drinking allowed : ( That camping trip will probably be in June hehe and then of course there will be mimosas at the Reno Air races in Sept : ) hehe
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    vegetable foil packets or kebabs - delicious grilled over a fire!
  • pilotgirl2007
    Options
    vegetable foil packets or kebabs - delicious grilled over a fire!

I can't believe I forgot about those! They are the best! Thanks for reminding me...
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    saussages over and open fire, amazing.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Oh I forgot to mention this is not a camping trip where any beer or booze will be allowed. We are doing search and rescue training and there will be cadets involved (youngins) so no drinking allowed : ( That camping trip will probably be in June hehe and then of course there will be mimosas at the Reno Air races in Sept : ) hehe

Civil Air Patrol?

If you have a cooler and stove (or Roadtrip)....just cook what you would cook at home.
  • pilotgirl2007
    Options
    @iplayoutside19

Are you a member? Best kept secret in the world : ) This is the first in a series of trips that are required before cadets get to join us for our signature event: SABER where if we can get the resources we have a Chinook helicopter flown by the guard fly us up to the sierra's and drop us off in the "middle of nowhere" and ground teams are tasked with finding their location and getting to camp. They have to carry everything they need, there isn't the option of getting anything into vehicles. It's lots f fun but I have seen a lot of cadets that were not prepared and for a few this trip will be their first camping trip!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    We normally backpack so we are stuck with dehydrated meals in packets. :sick: If we car camp we like to make a few breakfast burritos before hand and heat them up over the grill in the morning. I also usually marinate some chicken for grilling. otherwise its sandwiches, burgers, beer and bloody marys.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make ahead meals and freeze them in a ziplock bag. Provides "ice" in the cooler and then if you're having a particularly active day you can just heat and eat.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Another thing I do for the first couple of days is make a sandwich at home that can be shared among several people depending on the size of the bread. I usually buy one of those big round loaves (whole wheat) or a long loaf. I cut it horizontally and pull out a lot of the inside. Then I load it with lunch meat of your choice, cheese, thin sliced onions, avacado, tomatoes, lettuce, or any veggies youlike, some sort of dressing ( olive tapenade, home made dressing, pesto etc). I wrap it in saran wrap and then foil. When it comes time to serve I just cut it up into individual servings. Always a hit.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options

Cheers! :drinker: