Getting my kids to eat healthier

Options
mckant
mckant Posts: 217 Member
My kids are 9 and 4. They absolutely hate to try anything new. I'm curious to hear how some of you get your kids to try different things. I don't necessarily want to "trick" them into eating new things by "hiding" it in their food. I want them to have an appreciation for healthy foods. What do you do?

Replies

• angelarozmyn
    Options
    Look into the Sneaky Chef books
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Let them help with preparation... usually mine are more likely to try something new if they helped create it.
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I guess I have to admit we are old school in our family, if you dont eat you dont get anything else and that includes TV or Computer time. My husband and I dont sneak foods in or try and trick them, we just say this is what we are trying today and that is the end of the discussion. I admit we get some pouting and see how long we can wait to eat it and maybe we can get away with it, but we always win and they usually end up liking it and eating it the next time no problem.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    I guess I have to admit we are old school in our family, if you dont eat you dont get anything else and that includes TV or Computer time. My husband and I dont sneak foods in or try and trick them, we just say this is what we are trying today and that is the end of the discussion. I admit we get some pouting and see how long we can wait to eat it and maybe we can get away with it, but we always win and they usually end up liking it and eating it the next time no problem.

That is a good approach. We do that sometimes, but usually it is the you have to have at least one spoonful of it, and it has to be a real spoonful. Then you have to say why you don't like it more than just "I don't like it." I think maybe we should go to the this is what we have so eat it, but I prepare my own meals that a different than what the rest of the family eats usually.
  • inittowinit77
    Options
    My kids are 6 and 4 and have the same issue. I usually cook at least one thing per week that they do not like or have never tried. I make them try it and if they eat 3 bites of it and still don't like it then I offer them leftovers or pb&j. They always get through the 3 bites and sometimes they like it or the next time I make it, they usually don't fuss as much.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    First, I just want to say that I'm happy you don't want to hide things in their food! It doesn't teach them to like vegetables or new foods, so it doesn't help them in the long run.

As far as getting older kids to eat new things goes, it can be hard. My kids are still little and love to eat so it hasn't been too hard here. But, some ideas I've seen in magazines are to "decorate" fruits and vegetables. Like standing broccoli florets in a little cheese sauce so the look like trees, making penguins using black olives, cottage cheese and carrots, stuff like that. One thing I suggest to adults who hate vegetables is to try one new vegetable a week and cook it a different way each night. Trying it in different ways will let them experience all aspects of its flavor and texture. Plus, since it can take trying a new food up to 12 times before someone likes it, it gives their brains and taste buds lots of opportunity to try it. Also, if there are foods they do like, like mac and cheese, you can add some vegetables to it. Not to hide them, but to add to the dish. Broccoli and chicken go well with mac and cheese, as do bacon and mushrooms.

A lot of them time my 2 1/2 year old daughter will eat something simply because we're all eating the same thing. My almost 1 year old son will try to take any food we're eating, so it isn't too hard with him, but he's not eating a lot of table foods yet. When I make a meal we all eat it, I don't make anyone anything special. My kids are "lucky" on the nights I have school because they get to eat whatever they want while I'm gone. But on weekends we all eat together and there is no arguing. There are things my daughter won't normally want to eat, but she does it when she sees us eating it too. Not offering another option can work a lot of the time. Kids won't go more than one or two nights of not eating. No one likes feeling hungry!
  • SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I like my kids to choose to eat healthy. We are also more old fashioned, in that I don't usually alter our meals for them. They eat what the adults eat (mostly). They'll go through phases of not eating much and (like in true mom fashion), I'll start to worry about their intake and I'll make them a kid-friendly smoothie that is loaded with veggies, fruits, flax and milk and then I'm satisfied that they got a good serving of healthy things. My kids are younger, and eat a TON of fruit. We always serve fruit with dinner, and I don't limit them on that. So, if we're having chicken/vegetable skewers, rice and fruit and they barely touch their vegetables or rice, I'll let them eat as much fruit as they like to get full.

Another thought - make it fun. . . I bought breaded eggplant a few weeks ago and the kids scarfed it. I told them that it was like a chicken nugget (with the breading, and that they got to dip it), and that was fun and appealing for them. I think the key is to not offer to make them something else. You make one dinner a night, and they have two options 1) eat it 2) don't eat it. Kids are hard. Good luck. :)
  • mommymovingmountains
    mommymovingmountains Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My kids are 8 and 4 and I have had them shop for me, I give them $20 and tell them to buy healthy foods for the week. I was happy to know that my son loves pea pods and tomatoes. We have wooden skewers and make fruit arrangements with different shapes and cookie cutters (like the professional ones) I also have a ribbon vegetable peeler that makes flat ribbon cuts out of carrots, cucumbers and radishes (they are still not sure if they like radish LOL) I am also looking for the tool (from an infomercial that makes fancy flowers and designs) I think it was sold at one time with the Ginsu knife???

That's what I have so far and am interested in other ideas :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My kids are 8 and 4 and I have had them shop for me, I give them $20 and tell them to buy healthy foods for the week. I was happy to know that my son loves pea pods and tomatoes. We have wooden skewers and make fruit arrangements with different shapes and cookie cutters (like the professional ones) I also have a ribbon vegetable peeler that makes flat ribbon cuts out of carrots, cucumbers and radishes (they are still not sure if they like radish LOL) I am also looking for the tool (from an infomercial that makes fancy flowers and designs) I think it was sold at one time with the Ginsu knife???

Try looking at an Asian market for the flower tool. They'll probably have it and others. Also try looking at pictures of Japanese Bento lunches, they're super cute!
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas. Thanks! When I make dinner I cook something for them (husband and kids) and then something completely different for myself. I don't necessarily cook "bad" things for them but it's not what I would consider to be the healthiest choice for myself. I will definitely be using these new ideas! :happy:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Let them help with preparation... usually mine are more likely to try something new if they helped create it.

Thats it right there. Kids will eat what they have made. Thats what we teach in child development.

Also still make their favorites just use healthier substitutes for some items. For example: Change the white pastas for wheat pastas. Find a lower calorie pasta sauce. Ketchup with no high fructose syurp. Low fat, low skim cheese. Change out the cookies for the 100 calorie packs. Little things like these make a difference, but it doesn't make them feel deprived.

Just make sure its a fun thing and not a punishment. My daughter and I have competitions in the store. If I'm looking for a particular item but want to find the brand with the lowest calories we race trying to be the one that finds it.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My kids are 9 and 4. They absolutely hate to try anything new. I'm curious to hear how some of you get your kids to try different things. I don't necessarily want to "trick" them into eating new things by "hiding" it in their food. I want them to have an appreciation for healthy foods. What do you do?

This is exactly one of my biggest motivations for being here. I have twins. My daughter tends to be slightly overweight. Her brother is slightly underweight. She will eat almost anything and goes way over when it comes to portion control. He is extremely picky and will literally walk away from a bowl of ice cream when he feels like he has had enough.

I really wanted to be a better example for both of them. So, here I am. I agree with the poster who suggested letting them help. My son really likes helping in the kitchen. If he has had a hand in preparing it, he is a little more agreeable to trying it.

Happy cooking!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My son (4) will pretty much eat anything if I stick little toothpicks in it and make it look fun! Also, he likes to help cook, and he gets some satisfaction out of helping and then eating what he "cooked". I say getting them involved in the process will really help alot!
  • mommymovingmountains
    Options

Try looking at an Asian market for the flower tool. They'll probably have it and others. Also try looking at pictures of Japanese Bento lunches, they're super cute!

Thanks for the tip!!! Yes, those lunches look great! I found this on a site about them and I totally agree....

Japanese people attach great importance to the appearance of their food. Part of the fun of making a box lunch is creating a visually appealing arrangement that will whet the appetite.
  • mommymovingmountains
    Options

Thanks for the tip!!! Yes, those lunches look great! I found this on a site about them and I totally agree....

Japanese people attach great importance to the appearance of their food. Part of the fun of making a box lunch is creating a visually appealing arrangement that will whet the appetite.