Any Diabetics? I need meal ideas (desperately)

Options
I'm not diabetic, but my dad is borderline. He has cancer, and his diabetes was diet-controlled before chemo & radiation, so his oncologists told him to eat whatever appeals to him that will stay down. Two weeks ago, he spiked a fever, and had a lot of other infection-related complications that spiked his blood sugar, and sent him to the hospital for staph infection & pneumonia. On top of all that, he had already been struggling to eat enough. I was cooking rich, heavy meals to help him maintain his weight & nutrition, but he has a nutrition tube now, as a supplement to the small amounts he eats by mouth.

He was just transferred to a facility where I can bring food for him, but with these infections, he's still having a hard time eating enough. He's also receiving insulin for his blood sugar, but it's still hovering higher than it should be. So I'd like to cook for him, so it might be more appealing for him to eat, but I've never cooked anything diabetic.

If you're diabetic, what low carb/sugar meals would you recommend that would be easy to eat for someone who has a hard time swallowing (swollen esophogas from radiation, plus a tube down his throat into his stomach)?

It doesn't have to be anything phenomenal, because chemo has all but killed his taste buds too. I'm mainly worried what I can make that's soft & easy to swallow, but still diabetic. I have a handful of diabetic cookbooks from MIL, but I don't know where to start. Please help if you can. TIA.

Replies

• sunanda06
    Options
    I am a diabetic but vegetarian. I take oats and yogurt or fat free milk and raisins with oats as breakfast then,10 am one fruit. For lunch whole wheat bread or quinava(kinwa} with carrots beans or peas. Chicken can be bettar idea. Snacks at 4 pm tea but no sugar and sugar free snacks.Dinner again whole wheat bread with lentil, vegetables or chicken curry.Indian style chicken curry and flat breads with no oil and salt ( Rotis) is good for dinner.