Running outside vs treadmill

Options
2»

Replies

• Mojo3929
    Mojo3929 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad for me if you see me on the treadmill! I love running outside, but I had back surgery in July, and am not strong enough yet to take the pavement pounding. But I'm getting there! Rejoice with me instead!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I used to run outside...loved it. Only took about, oh say, 11 years off. Ugh. Can't wait to start again. I am starting the C25K program in 7 days!!! I love being outside. We have a treadmill in the basement that we paid a pretty penny for years ago and sadly, it sits there. Sucking in the indoor air is really hard on me for some reason, makes me all dry and gaggy. Maybe it's all in my head. Plus one of my cardiologist's favorite tests is the treadmill/stress test and that makes me petrified of the DreadMill as one poster put it. :) I pretty much hate that machine. lol.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting active again!!
  • elpete
    elpete Posts: 12
    Options
    No. It isn't the same. Read "Daniel's Running Formula" by Jack Daniels ( Table 9.1). He goes into this. He also has a chart in the book that tells you how to modify the settings on the treadmill to get an equivalent outdoor pace. For a given outdoor pace, he suggests setting a given speed and incline on the treadmill.

http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php